Smart casting is a great idea, but please don't force it on us who don't like it.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elcye

09-14-2011

Hello Riot, I've seen a few annoying things in the game, so here is my feedback.

The smart casting is a great idea, a lot of people like it. I personnaly don't and I think it's great that we can bind separately smart cast and normal cast.

But I've seen that some hero have a compulsory smart cast, like Karthus or Cassiopea, or more recently Riven with his Broken Wings and Valor (Riven looks really appealing but that may lead me not to use her). Flash is like that too.

I wonder why those spells are smart casted by default and can't be normally casted, especially since manually casting them by clicking on the spell, allows us to cast them normally.

Is there any reason not allow us to cast those spells normally?
Is there any plan to change that?

I can bear flash smart casting by binding it to a mouse button, but it is really inconvenient for the other.

I'd be glad to see this changed so that we could decide the casting method of every spell.

Hakiro

09-14-2011

I like smartcasting, but It would be interesting to hear the reason to this.

Ellye

09-15-2011

Urgot's Q and Riven's Q are smartcast due to technical reasons, I suspect.
Both of those abilities behave differently depending on what they are targeting - I have a gut feeling that the normal targeting system might be unable to handle that.

Personally, I only play with smartcast, but I can sympathize that it would be nice to have "stupidcast" for those skills too, for those who prefer it.

Elcye

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellye View Post
Urgot's Q and Riven's Q are smartcast due to technical reasons, I suspect.
Both of those abilities behave differently depending on what they are targeting - I have a gut feeling that the normal targeting system might be unable to handle that.

Personally, I only play with smartcast, but I can sympathize that it would be nice to have "stupidcast" for those skills too, for those who prefer it.
Yes, I see why the Riven's Q must be smartcasted, but I don't get why the E is. I think it may related to the fact that those spells are spammable.

LowPolyCount

Associate Flash Engineer

09-15-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Whenever something is made smart-cast by default, it's usually a deliberate design decision. Here are two of Xypherous's recent posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous
We tried [cursor cast] in internal playtests. The problem is that you need to scroll your window *and* control her direction over 1.5 seconds. Intuitively, it makes sense to make it only cursor cast but since Riven's Q can potentially go really far, you'd find yourself flinging yourself in odd ways.
Surprisingly, through Riven's design, I've actually realized that if you just made Pounce cursor cast, no one would actually be able to play Nidalee all that well because you would lose track of her all the time.

Hethow

09-15-2011

Don't think you could do this skill any other way really

Totaltotemic

09-15-2011

Obviously most players and Riot agree that some things are just much better with smartcast only, but perhaps Riot should make a Force Manualcast keybind or something for those players that disagree. It could be worth doing.

KaXaSA

09-15-2011

we need this:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=922330

the fabulous... Smart-Cast Toogle.

Elcye

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPolyCount View Post
Whenever something is made smart-cast by default, it's usually a deliberate design decision. Here are two of Xypherous's recent posts:
Thanks for the answer, I didn't see those threads (I must say, the forums are a bit messy, we need an advanced search function).

After playing Riven, I understand why the Q must be smart cast, I see why the E is too (even though it would imho be fine if normal casted), but I don't quite understand the reason for making karthus' spell like that too.

For those spells where the design descision is less obvious, I think it would be a good idea to allow normal cast. After all, we can bind smart cast and normal cast as we want.

Madman Reborn

09-15-2011

At full cd you lose casts as karthus if you don't smartcast + in general it's annoying to click that often. And that entire skill is just not meant to be normal casted I mean, there isn't any advantage for it. It targets the ground so you have no need to target anyone. It's on a very short cooldown, so it's mean to spam. It's also meant to hit moving targets which goes easier if you don't click point.

And finally, there are so many champions why would you honestly give a **** if you don't like one just because he has a smart cast. These champions are designed for the people that DO like smart casting. You can't please anyone with one champ, why do you think there are so many?

Now go play instead of complaining about how you don't like an intended feature that you are not forced to play with.