@Riot-Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

09-15-2011
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurolite View Post
So if I understand correctly your issue is more in allowing all the players you currently do to be matchmade from the same pool / be able to chat with the same pool of people, since while you can have as many machines as you need to support those players, handling the many connections between those machines causes you problems?
Pretty similar, yea. Think about it this way.

There's a cluster of servers that need to talk to one another. If there was only 1 server in this cluster, it could support 100 players (clearly much more, but just for argument's sake). Now if there's 2 servers in this cluster, each supports half of the players. However, those players need to be able to talk to each other, join the same lobbies, go into the same champion selects, etc. So these two servers need to talk back and forth to each other. That traffic is substantial - in a Champion Select every single selection you make needs to be transmitted to all the players very quickly, regardless of which server they are on. So this synchronization traffic actually takes up server resources. Each of those servers can now support 90 players each, for a total of 180 players that can play at once.

Now let's say you have 4 servers. These require triple the amount of connections than 2 servers do, so each server can only hold 70 players each for a total of 280 players max.

Now let's say you have 10 servers...

Clearly it's not quite so cut and dry as that, but problems like that are challenges for programmers to overcome that are irrelevant of number of servers or individual power - they don't scale linearly.

Shini Laser

09-15-2011

So now that we got two reds to answer on why there have been delays, can we please stop harassing them?

innervation

09-15-2011

How about making what you did yesterday a fixture for the first month of dominion? "Custom games cannot start without x number of players" would that help? Or are custom games just a small fraction of total games being played at any given time?

But thanks for the response Joz

Shini Laser

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervation View Post
How about making what you did yesterday a fixture for the first month of dominion? "Custom games cannot start without x number of players" would that help? Or are custom games just a small fraction of total games being played at any given time?

But thanks for the response Joz
If I understand him correctly, that might help, but ultimately the amount of intracommunication will get overloaded and cause servers to not properly handle the number of games going on simotaniously.

shiq

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

wahhhhh!!! the longer riot takes to release dominion means the less time i get to play dominion =/ wahhhhhh!!!

By the way if your someone who plans on playing League of Legends this fall/winter go drown. There will be so many actual games with set release dates and promising updates that there will be 0 need to play League of Legends. Lololololololololol.

MW3 kthanks.

Dr Nevermind

09-15-2011

Thank you so much Hohum and Jozrael for giving us some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCliff View Post
I find it funny that everyone just wanted to know why dominion was delayed, and now that they found out. They are still QQ'ing.
Most people just want to know whats going on. And to be honest I find the more annoying people to be the ones crying about the people complaining.

hohums

Software Engineer

09-15-2011
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaruna View Post
This is the same answer we got awhile back, not knowing if the servers can handle it, but will you ever know?
We have load testing which simulates load and we also have projections. Of course load testing may not find everything.

Also there are many options that can help deal with scale problems. However it does take time to implement and test.

neurolite

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
Pretty similar, yea. Think about it this way.

There's a cluster of servers that need to talk to one another. If there was only 1 server in this cluster, it could support 100 players (clearly much more, but just for argument's sake). Now if there's 2 servers in this cluster, each supports half of the players. However, those players need to be able to talk to each other, join the same lobbies, go into the same champion selects, etc. So these two servers need to talk back and forth to each other. That traffic is substantial - in a Champion Select every single selection you make needs to be transmitted to all the players very quickly, regardless of which server they are on. So this synchronization traffic actually takes up server resources. Each of those servers can now support 90 players each, for a total of 180 players that can play at once.

Now let's say you have 4 servers. These require triple the amount of connections than 2 servers do, so each server can only hold 70 players each for a total of 280 players max.

Now let's say you have 10 servers...

Clearly it's not quite so cut and dry as that, but problems like that are challenges for programmers to overcome that are irrelevant of number of servers or individual power - they don't scale linearly.
Interesting problem, thanks for the explanation, I'm actually interning at a big networking company right now so I enjoy learning about this kind of stuff since most of what I get to do is single rack not connectivity. Guess it's just a race for you guys then between making the most efficient use of bandwidth and being able to add all the new players who want to join

Robotick

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post
The main issue with Dominion at the moment is making sure it will scale to the number of people we expect to be playing it. We don't want to launch and have every single person kicked out because there are too many people playing the game.

Also we have not announced a release date for it yet so it hasn't been delayed.
Then why do you hyped the **** out of the game and said Shortly. What does shortly mean to you?? Why don't you understand that people associate hype with a release date in the near future... That's basic marketing... and if i understand it, I'm pretty sure you could hire someone aware of those fact

Ataraxia Hollow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2011

So Dominion after 2-3 years I take it?It's okay,you can't surprise us anymore.