Question about jungle Shen - Starting Red

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FrancaLingua

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Is Red a Viable starting point for Shen's jungle?

I know the standard jungle routes start at Blue. It makes a lot of since, tons of mana and lower cooldowns!
However this buff is minimal for Shen because
1) He doesn't use mana, and going form 50 > 65 energry regen is not very noticable
2) She primarily uses Vorpal while jungling, and it's cooldown does not go below 3 seconds

Red camp offers the same "challenge" and exp benefit as blue, but instead of minimal energy gain Shen gains a boost form true damage, wich could argueabley do more damage than the few extra vorpla's you'd get form blues regen

going Red > Twins > wraiths > wolves > Blue
It isn't difficult to clear jungle in 4:30, using either Cloath+5pots or Dorans Shield.
It sets you up for and early gank well, since Shen is at least ok with early vorpals and the red helps a lot as well.
you can finish with blue, which you can at that point easily pass off to a team mate as you'll have a few levels, or use it to cover lane with a little more spam-ability, or just get back to clearing out everything in your jungle again before bluepilling

The biggest downside i see to this is not having red available if you want to make a level 4 gank or so, or having it once your route is clear.

I have no issue starting Blue, if it is Better overall, but i'm just curious as to whether this would be a viable route to go when jungling with him.

David19

Recruiter

09-14-2011

Level 2 red ganks? Yes please

FrancaLingua

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

bump for insight

Pengrin

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaLingua View Post
Is Red a Viable starting point for Shen's jungle?

I know the standard jungle routes start at Blue. It makes a lot of since, tons of mana and lower cooldowns!
However this buff is minimal for Shen because
1) He doesn't use mana, and going form 50 > 65 energry regen is not very noticable
2) She primarily uses Vorpal while jungling, and it's cooldown does not go below 3 seconds

Red camp offers the same "challenge" and exp benefit as blue, but instead of minimal energy gain Shen gains a boost form true damage, wich could argueabley do more damage than the few extra vorpla's you'd get form blues regen

going Red > Twins > wraiths > wolves > Blue
It isn't difficult to clear jungle in 4:30, using either Cloath+5pots or Dorans Shield.
It sets you up for and early gank well, since Shen is at least ok with early vorpals and the red helps a lot as well.
you can finish with blue, which you can at that point easily pass off to a team mate as you'll have a few levels, or use it to cover lane with a little more spam-ability, or just get back to clearing out everything in your jungle again before bluepilling

The biggest downside i see to this is not having red available if you want to make a level 4 gank or so, or having it once your route is clear.

I have no issue starting Blue, if it is Better overall, but i'm just curious as to whether this would be a viable route to go when jungling with him.
http://inception.davepedu.com/

Scazza69

09-14-2011

i used to do this route alot, and i could be mistaken but i dont think red provides enough expirence alone to get you too level 2 (been a while since i did it could have changed since then)

burnedalive

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazza69 View Post
i used to do this route alot, and i could be mistaken but i dont think red provides enough expirence alone to get you too level 2 (been a while since i did it could have changed since then)
With certain masteries and runes it does(2 xp quints iirc). At base xp it doesnt. I believe smiting a wraith and then taking red does as well...?

Jintoro

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedalive View Post
With certain masteries and runes it does(2 xp quints iirc). At base xp it doesnt. I believe smiting a wraith and then taking red does as well...?
You would need a pretty big leash to kill red without smite though.

RaunchyOctopus

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazza69 View Post
on this note, i think you may be right. I tend to just hop striaght to twins anyway, so that secures level 2 pretty quick, and between vorpal and pots you have sturdy health anyway. you can also run up and hit wraiths (with smite usually back by now), which gets you at or very near 3.

Kingbob12

09-14-2011

1 pot, vorpals, and a leash into the bush was enough for me to get red at lvl 1, however, i was short a small amount of xp for lvl 2. killing a wraith would be enough to put you over the top, and a good spot to gank mid. starting with cloth and 5 pot

Clockmaker

09-14-2011

counter jungling with shen is always a good idea, especially if it's early