Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Out of these champs: best counter jungler?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bringbackpluto

Recruiter

09-14-2011

So I've always known how to jungle, but ever since the WW nerf I've almost never played a jungler. In ranked I avoid it like it's the plague. However, lately when watching high ELO streams I've been trying to focus on what the jungler is doing (even if he's not the one streaming), and it occurred to me that my knowledge of counter-jungling was sub-par at best.

Out of the junglers I have, which of these do you think is the best, specifically for counter-jungling? And is a good jungler to learn the basics of counter-jungling on? Warwick, Mummy (unlikely I know), Trynd, Trundle, Rammus, Shaco, Yi, Fiddle, GP, and Cho.

I'm leaning heavily towards Trundle.

parnellyx

09-14-2011

Well the best counter jungler in game is Nunu,

but with these guys would be shaco maybe or Trundle

Kittonberry

09-14-2011

Quote:
parnellyx:
Well the best counter jungler in game is Nunu,

but with these guys would be shaco maybe or Trundle

I wouldn't say Nunu. Nunu is awesome at stealing buffs because Smite + Consume is a nasty amount of true damage. His big failing is that Udyr, Warwick, Nocturne, Trundle, and all the other junglers will beat the **** out of him in a 1 vs. 1 fight, which is part of what jungling is all about. If you run into someone in the jungle and are forced to 1 vs. 1` then, being able to win is part of being a great counterjungler.

Nocturne, Lee Sin, and Gangplank strike me as excellent counterjunglers. Out of them I'd say Nocturne because Duskbringer gives him a lot of damage and he has a good CC to get some free hits in after stealing the buff and engaging.

parnellyx

09-14-2011

Quote:
Kitty the Fluffy:
I wouldn't say Nunu. Nunu is awesome at stealing buffs because Smite + Consume is a nasty amount of true damage. His big failing is that Udyr, Warwick, Nocturne, Trundle, and all the other junglers will beat the **** out of him in a 1 vs. 1 fight, which is part of what jungling is all about. If you run into someone in the jungle and are forced to 1 vs. 1` then, being able to win is part of being a great counterjungler.

Nocturne, Lee Sin, and Gangplank strike me as excellent counterjunglers. Out of them I'd say Nocturne because Duskbringer gives him a lot of damage and he has a good CC to get some free hits in after stealing the buff and engaging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmc4xsPIcf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N15F69k7dOU&feature=relmfu

He explains why he is best counter jungle. He is fine in 1v1s.

Kittonberry

09-14-2011

http://www.solomid.net/blog.php?v=12154

TheOddOne actually also has a blog post detailing his jungling tier list. Just watched him fight against Amumu and mostly steal creeps which is good. Then Master Yi was incredibly low when he next saw him so he was able to tower dive to get first blood. Where he actually fights people (Warwick, Amumu in the second video) he has backup. Not hating on Nunu, I love him and still play him now and then. It's just that 1 vs. 1 in the jungle isn't his strong suite. Stealing stuff with Consume + Smite is great, though. I still think Nocturne is better, at the very least.

He counts Nunu as a strong counterjungler, but notes that Nunu has problems fighting against other junglers because they tend to have better anti-player early games. If he manages to steal a buff then he can conceivably beat someone down or hold them with Ice Blast for backup, but otherwise he has problems.

AngryNarwhal

09-14-2011

Quote:
Kitty the Fluffy:

He has a huge, spammable slow, a constant movespeed buff, and can start with boots.
He cannot be forced to 1v1.
He can steal a wraith or wolf in one second without using smite.
His spammable slow does a nice chunk of damage, reducing the enemy's ganking ability.
This is counter jungling.

Kittonberry

09-14-2011

:< I wish he didn't fall off a bit in the lategame. It's like Gangplank has all of Nunu's abilities to the next level. I probably shouldn't take counterjungling in such a narrow context, though. My bad. :P

AngryNarwhal

09-14-2011

Quote:
Kitty the Fluffy:
:< I wish he didn't fall off a bit in the lategame. It's like Gangplank has all of Nunu's abilities to the next level. I probably shouldn't take counterjungling in such a narrow context, though. My bad. :P

IME theoddone's Nunu does fall off, because he builds him too tanky. Nunu simply isn't a great tank because he doesn't have much CC, and if you build tanky he has little damage. But with a 1.0 AP ratio, Ice Blast does HUGE damage if you build AP, and with 40% CDR on an already short cooldown, you're doing huge damage and applying monstrous slows over and over again. And with Spirit Visage plus 1.0 of your AP as heal, abyssal scepter, etc, Nunu is not even remotely squishy. And although if often (not remotely always, though) fails to get kills due to 3 sec channel, your ult is pretty much the best teamfight-disrupting ability in game. NO ONE will ever willingly stay in it if you're building AP. And it cools down so fast you can use it any time you need to.