When to tank that tower

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bylobog44

09-14-2011

This has happened in several recent games.

We are winning the game. The other team's 3 outer and both mid-lane towers are down and we have had a slight edge in team fights. The other team is defending on their steps, but my team, due to rather squishy team comp, is unable to push into their base. I'm playing a tank (Alistar - although I have done the same with Nasus who is more of an off-tank) and have pinged the bottom or top inner tower several times, but no one would push. Our Jungler wanted to jungle and 3 squishy carries or casters kept poking, but not penetrating the defenses on the mid-base tower.

So I tanked the bottom inner tower. [team chat - "care Ali"]

Recalled, tanked the bottom base tower, got stunned and killed [team chat - "stop tower diving"]

Tried again and took the tower. [team chat - "gj"]

Re-spawned and took out the inhibitor - got ganked and killed retreating [team chat - "stop feeding"].

Re-spawned and pushed top inner tower - one carry came over and helped. [team chat gj ]

Pushed the Top Base tower. Took the inhibitor down to about 400 HP and got killed, but minions finished it off. [team chat - "way to go Ali" + "noob" ]

So an accidental split push - without the benefit of Destiny, GSF or stealth and with minimal benefits from wards as the enemy team was for the most part in their base. My team helped (with one noted exception) by keeping pressure on mid. I ended up with horrid stats - 6-8-11 (or something like that - patch day), but clearly contributed to winning the game. I didn't feed them a bunch of gold because I wasn't on a killing spree. If we had kept with what we were doing - we would have likely picked up a Barron and/or Dragon and probably ganged and picked off their champions as the ventured off the stairs. But it is equally likely that they might have defended until we were forced to retreat (due to low HP, low mana, need to buy items, go get Barron, etc.) and broken out and turned the momentum.

In post game chat, the jungler who was wankin in the woods the whole time says - "Alistar you suck".

Juyil

09-14-2011

Man, you tried to do your job and its ok. They couldnt have won without you keeping the pressure up. And, imo, its not nice to play tanks in solo queque, cause you need teamwork to play the effectivly. thats my 2 cents, best luck next time.

Hyosun

09-14-2011

dont listen to them. You clearly knew what it took to win and your dumbass teammates didn't seize the opportunity to do something constructive instead of derping around. It is time to "tank that tower" or take one for the team when no one on your team has any idea of what the next objective should be, be it dragon, buff control, pushing, w/e.

bylobog44

09-14-2011

When NOT to tank the tower.

Just played against Eve, TF, Warwick, Nocturn and GP. Most annoying team ever. Everytime we pushed or extended - ganked.

doo0ooooooom

09-14-2011

you're backdooring as alistar? seems like a really dangerous idea.

bylobog44

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo0ooooooom View Post
you're backdooring as alistar? seems like a really dangerous idea.
Not so much backdooring as seizing the initiative. To me, backdooring infers that tanking a tower is against the momentum of the game. We had already pushed the 3 outer towers and mid-lane to the steps, but the other team was defending well and no one was willing to push into the enemy base. It was like a fire drill at the base of the steps, and our Master Yi (who has the tools to back door) was intent on farming the enemy jungle for low risk buffs and easy gold.

There are 2 ways to play this. You either be patient, and use the enemy's defensive posture as an opportunity to build a massive Exp, Gold and Items advantage - and then push onto their base en-mass. But with this approach there is the risk that you exhaust your HP, mana and patience - and then someone makes a mistake. Maybe you go for Barron - but they're not fools, its warded. Maybe a couple of players recall to shop and they seize the temporary numerical advantage and win a 5v3. Or maybe they simply seize the initiative and mount a push back.

The other option is to capitalize on the advantage you already have. Because our team was pretty squishy, I was built tanky (Shurelya's, Aegis, BV). I had a move speed boost from Shurelya's, spell block from BV, my ULT, Ghost, Teleport and for the top lane, a green ward in the bushes to port to.

In other words it was a calculated risk.

AngryNarwhal

09-14-2011

Backdooring is most effective when the entire is in on it. If we're sitting outside their bade in mid "poking", and I'm tank, I will ping one of the side towers eventually and all five of us will descend on it. With five people you have enough DPS to take that thing out before the enemy can do anything about it, unless they are REALLY quick on the uptake. Then your whole teams recalls and begins the process of pushing to do it again.

Hotdogs

09-14-2011

its good in low level games because people dont defend so there is a high chance you will kill the tower for free. you can win games by doing mindless pushing, but only against bad people.

LancerXXX

09-15-2011

Alistar/Rammus etc. can solo a turret well, other tanks need AD to back it up. Shaco is a good BD-er due to his escape mechanisms, Hallucinate meat/dagger-shield and JitB damage. But whenever I get stuck in this situation, Maokai rules. You have no IDEA what his ultimate does to peoples' will to defend turrets.
But yes, you should have tanked the turret, and your team was bad for criticising you.

Lorifel

09-15-2011

I guess the best possible option would be to persuade that jungling Master Yi to help down this tower while you were tanking it. That way you could finish it much quicker possibly without sacrificing your life. But sometimes people never come to your aid no matter what you type to them.