New to LoL.Need a tutor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BaseDeoxys

09-13-2013

Hi,I'm new to League of Legends,and I've been doing really bad at it(getting killed 5 times while killing only 1/2 champions etc).I like the game a lot,and so,I want to get better at it.Would be very grateful of someone if they can tutor me.I mostly use Ashe/Lucian.

PantherPaws

09-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseDeoxys View Post
Hi,I'm new to League of Legends,and I've been doing really bad at it(getting killed 5 times while killing only 1/2 champions etc).I like the game a lot,and so,I want to get better at it.Would be very grateful of someone if they can tutor me.I mostly use Ashe/Lucian.
I'm decent with Lucian. I can try to help if you'd like. I have school however so we'd have to discuss schedules. I may not be able to help if our time zones are too different.

Damned Scholar

09-13-2013

I can give you a few pieces of advice.

1. Set Lucian aside for the time being. Pick up Tristana if you haven't got her (she's free if you follow Riot on Facebook) and Sivir (she's only 450 IP), and play with those three until you've got a handle on them. Then start playing Lucian some more. Lucian requires a much higher mechanical skill level to be effective than those girls do, though the basic idea (stand at a distance and shoot people) is the same.

2. Focus on killing minions over champions (not just doing damage to minions, but getting the killing blow; watch that video, it's good). Out of the last ten games you played, your one PvP match went on for 43 minutes and you had 69 minion kills (also known as "CS", which stands for "creep score") as Lucian. You want to shoot for about 7 CS per minute for the first 10-15 minutes. You usually won't get there, but that should be your goal. 69 CS is great if you're ten minutes into the game, but if that's all you got over 43 minutes, it tells me that, instead of farming your lane, you were trying to kill your enemy (or just shooting at minions and not caring if you got the last hit). You only profit from a minion's death if you score the killing blow, and the person with the most CS has the most gold to use in buying items to deal more damage and kill the enemy. Lucian is pretty good at last-hitting, but again, his abilities are more difficult to use in general.

3. If you don't try to kill champions as your first priority, you'll be less likely to overextend and therefore less likely to be killed. It's okay to just get an attack off now and then, taking out bits of your opponent's health and forcing them to use their potions to stay in the lane. At higher levels of play, you might not see a single death until after the ten minute mark, because nobody is putting themselves in a vulnerable position. Ashe and Tristana have really good range at which they can poke down their enemies (and Ashe's passive guarantees a critical strike if she hasn't attacked for a little while). Lucian has his spells and his Lightslinger passive that, when used correctly, can yield tremendous amounts of damage at a low level. Sivir can use her abilities through minion waves, picking up CS and hurting the enemy at the same time. If you force your opponent to go back to base and heal up, while you kill minions and soak up XP, you have just won a minor victory.

4. Speaking of potions, I noticed that, in the aforementioned PvP game, you bought one and didn't use it. Potions have the greatest effect early in the game, when they represent a significant amount of extra health. As the game goes on, your opponents become more and more capable of hitting you and knocking that 150 health right back off. A potion that you never use is gold that has gone to waste. If you bought that in the beginning of the game and didn't use it, that could have resulted in a death that could have been prevented.

Son Of Beldar

09-13-2013

Base,

Welcome to the game fellow summoner. Hope you are enjoying your stay so far. First off, don't sweat the deaths right now. This game has a bit of a learning curve and it can take a while to get the hang of certain champions.

As I find myself doing often, I agree completely with DS above. Put Lucian aside. He's a high skill champ and he's only free for another three days so unless you're falling in love with his playstyle, I'd look elsewhere. Another good low cost ranged character is Ashe.

Focus on increasing your CS. It's essential for when you start playing against humans. It can be hard against bots because they almost always focus on hitting you, but it will be good practice later on. Still, try not to die Harder than it sounds, I know.

One thing I do noticed when I first started is that I was waaaay too aggressive. Spinning with Garen into two enemies top lane with all their minions packed around. In the laning phase (pre-10 or so) minions do a LOT of damage. Also, putting yourself in a spot where both enemies can hit you at the same time is just about a recipe for death.

Start learning what abilities the enemy champs have and how often they can use them. ChoGath has rupture (his circle of spikes that pop you up. The bots almost always cast this on you when it's off cooldown, so be ready for it. In bot lane... Ashe is going to have frost arrow on almost all the time. Don't walk up to her unless you are sure you can take her or can force her to retreat. Cause once you're in close it's really hard to run away from her.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd be happy to duo some bot games with you and provide advice or any other help I can.

Biggest tip though, don't get frustrated. I don't think I'm very good yet, but I know I've improved a lot in the past 10 levels.

BaseDeoxys

09-13-2013

Thanks for advice everyone.
@Panther,I'm GMT +5.
@Damned Scholar,thanks for advice.A few other ppl also told me to not use lucian so early,so I guess I won't.As for building CS,I'll be sure to focus on doing that instead of killing minions(I mostly die because I try to get a kill while low on health).Thanks again
@Beldar,thanks,man.I'll use Ashe from now on(it's actually my best Champion atm),and won't play risky.Also,friend request sent :]

HindranceMercer

01-02-2014

Having had the chance to just play with you one thing I think might help a little is to focus less on telling everyone how bad they are and trying to focus more on your lane and how you can do better and help the team. Everyone, myself included, have good and bad days... some have more of one then the other. Your team with change, you might not... less toxic and more understanding goes a long ways.