Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Surrender Etiquette

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eternally12

09-14-2011

There are two deffinate scenarios that always surround surrendering. I was just wondering how other people deal with them.

1. The game is 5 min in and the opposing team is 3 kills up, someone starts saying "surrender at 20" and then calls for it every time it's available to them, even though all 4 of their team mates vote no. Despite the fact that the other team only ever gets 3-4 kills ahead.

2. The game is 30 min. in and the other team is 10-15 kills ahead and they're not pushing towers, just farming kills for IP. Someone calls a surrender and it fails 3/2, this goes on for another 15 min. Now the enemy is up 25 kills and have only taken one tower, and still your team wont surrender.

3. Ok I lied there's a third. Why do people try to surrender seconds before the main crystal goes kablooey ?

*edited for terrible spelling and grammar

Albinododobird

09-14-2011

1. Mute them and keep voting no.

2. Killing people doesn't get you IP, playing the game gets you IP, winning gives you extra as well. Not much you can do.

3. Who knows?

Eternally12

09-14-2011

can you mute them in-game ? because i do that afterwards....

Mambazo

09-14-2011

Learn how to take advantage of people ****ing around. I find risking a baron, even with the opposing team alive, is the best way to turn around a seemingly hopeless game, especially if everyone hasn't hit 18 because its what, like 900 global exp? plus baron buff and i think 300 gold for everyone on your team. That can make up for a LOOOOOOT of deaths. And if they aren't pushing maybe its because they CANT; if you're able to defend your towers you obviously still have the capability to kill them if you focus correctly and can get their carries, which mean the game isn't lost.

jadelink

09-14-2011

you can (and should) mute them in game. This is done by brining up the player panel (the one that lists all players in the game, and their equipment etc), theres a little mute button for each player on the right.

May it bring you much peace.

Urgit

09-14-2011

I thought proper etiquette was to:

1) Start by *****ing at your team for being n00bs
2) Next start talking in /all blaming your teammates for everything going wrong and making sure the other team knows it's in no way your fault
3) Continue to insult team and ensure you say n00b in at least every other sentence until the 20 minute mark
4) At 20 surrender
5) If vote is not accepted feed other team as much as possible while spewing more insults at your team
6) When your team finally loses or surrenders ensure you insult team members more in post game stats
7) repeat process next game

At least that's how most surrenders seem to happen in my games...

iLikeSushi

Recruiter

09-14-2011

The reason why people try to surrender before the Nexus is destroyed is because if you time it right, you can make the Nexus explode twice.

BlueBeanstalk

09-14-2011

I'll call a surrender vote right before the nexus is down under this example:

Enemy team rushes our base and gets both nexus turrets down. We ace them, but cannot push ourselves due to minions swarming the base. I'll call surrender simply because as soon as the enemy is up they will either rush us again, or baron and rush. Saves a few minutes time.

iamesauce

09-14-2011

I had a team where we were down 6 kills (yeah, 6) 4 minutes in.

In the end, we closed the gap and won by hammering straight down the middle when they were dead.

bylobog44

09-14-2011

I hate premature surrender votes as much as I hate those who insist on playing out a foregone conclusion. But if the vote is really pre-mature, I try to lead and encourage rather than insult and rage.

A Surrender vote can be demoralizing or sometimes galvanizing for a team. It all depends on the leadership. In longer games, there is usually a pivotal turning point. It could be a successful or failed Barron, an Ace, your carry gets a bit fed or completes a top tier item build or a successful (or failed) push. A (failed) surrender vote just when the momentum is turning can cause people to play defensively at just the point they need to push or to become reckless and too aggressive - killing any momentum you have.

If your team is full of idiots who rage and insult everyone, a pre-mature surrender vote is more likely to lead to a loss. If however you have players who use the opportunity to assert some leadership and direction on the team, a failed vote can also be a turning point.

Many games (at least in Normal) seem to get to a point where the whole game is waiting for a momentum shift. The outer (or even inner) Towers are down; the laning phase is over. Team fights have been going back and forth for a while with neither team able to fully capitalize on an advantage. That's where leadership and a bit of a plan come in. Are you going to push onto their base, try for Barron, fall back and setup a gank (possibly an Ace), ward like mad and maybe back door or split push, etc. You don't always need the best strategy, but a plan is a must. A surrender vote is also a plan.