Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tell me just how Riot "lied."

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Offtheheazy

09-13-2011

lol if dominion never game out........

It would be VERY BAD for riot.

Shini Laser

09-13-2011

Quote:
Zirun:
Riot essentially lied by hyping Dominion to a huge extent (many videos, livestreamed games with what appeared to be something that's basically already finished, etc.) and saying it would be out "soon" (implying actually soon, not "soon" meaning "in the future&quot

Wait, hold on. This is where I stopped. I couldn't go on without headdesking.

You are trying to get implications out of TEXT. Riot said in an announcement, meaning purely text, that it would be out, "soon after PAX". You apparent read that text with emotion, therefore, the only person you are disappointing is yourself.

Read my post, "Cycles". Applies directly to you.

Zirun

09-13-2011

Quote:
Shini Laser:
Wait, hold on. This is where I stopped. I couldn't go on without headdesking.

You are trying to get implications out of TEXT. Riot said in an announcement, meaning purely text, that it would be out, "soon after PAX". You apparent read that text with emotion, therefore, the only person you are disappointing is yourself.

Read my post, "Cycles". Applies directly to you.

I'm not trying to get implications from text.

I'm reaching logical conclusions.

Products are hyped before they come out. With games, the hype can go on for days, weeks, or months. Games with more time spent hyping are visibly or noticeably a long ways away from completion. DotA 2 had an alpha client for its $1m tournament, Diablo 3 has had slowly revealed lore, character classes, abilities, screenshots, videos, and other things trickling out for months before the game is given to the public in beta format.

Although just a part of a game, Dominion should follow the same patterns. If in development for months to follow, the hype should be gradual. Except, Riot didn't.do gradual. From the moment they first revealed that something was up (those tweets, status updates, etc.) they've been creating more than just a little hype.

Then they let people play and livestream to hundreds of thousands of people what was never called or implied to be a beta or alpha and seems to be entirely functional, if not ready for release right then. They released videos and a section on the website all about Dominion.

To any normal person, this screams that it really is coming out soon. It looks ready, it plays ready, and nobody's said anything to the contrary. We're told that it's coming out soon after PAX, which is a much more specific deadline than the general "fourth quarter of 2011" that game companies usually use. Again, an indication that it'll be coming out soon.

Then the next patch, they ship out a bunch of the files for Dominion. The items are visible in our shops. We see them literally every time we play the game.

A normal person sees all this, the logical conclusion is that it's coming out next patch. If not, why do all this so long before the release? Why do so many things to hype something that won't be ready for months? All the hype can and will very easily die down within a month, and suddenly it's something that "finally came out" instead of something that "is so awesome, I can't wait".

They may not have intended to, but they did. It's their fault people are expecting Dominion to come out any day now. If it's not coming out this patch, they should have changed the way they did things. Shipped the Dominion files out the patch before Dominion's release, not last patch. Said that it's a beta of the game mode at Gamescom and PAX. Not have Dominion items visible in normal games. Something. Even a "Dominion will not come out in August, and likely not in September" post or message to go with the "soon" one would go a long ways to make people less angry about Riot's handling of the situation and keep their expectations in line with what Riot's are.

Wicked Demiurge

09-13-2011

Quote:
Fenthis:
Riot should just give us some outragous date like coming out next year and then release it when they feel like it.

Coming before 2012 :P

They shouldn't make promises they can't keep. 1/1/12 would be pretty uncomfortable for everyone. That said, my annoyance stems from the fact that no definition of the word "soon," that I have used or would use includes the extent of this delay. If someone told me they would, say, pay me back the money they owe me soon, I'd politely ask where it was after a week or two.

As much as Riot makes us beta test bad stuff (release XZ, release Yorick, release Rabadon's, for 3 examples of stuff that made the game less fun until changed), it'd be nice to beta test something genuinely new. It's not like they polish to a shine before releasing in general.

This is just bad marketing / customer service. They haven't been straightforward with us. Stardock is an example of a developer who actually communicates well with players, and I'd like to see Riot do that more.

Fenthis

09-13-2011

I remember when Tron Legacy started advertising in Australia. it said coming soon. i beleive a year later it was released... thank god they said shortly.

DarkR1sing

09-13-2011

Well "shortly" or "soon" is not that vague. They show us a fully playable dominion at PAX and Gamescon. So a lot were expecting it to be coming really "soon". I just hope they would at least address this issue so that it won't be that big of a deal. Just a simple post about "delay" or like maybe just fixing bugs or added new things like items or concept. It won't if they communicate to their players properly.

nebb1234

09-14-2011

Quote:
Archlord Mythos:
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for breaking the fantasy world people live in, but tell me. Where did Riot intentionally lie, or break a promise, about the Dominion release date?

The only date I remember them giving wasn't even an exact date. They said "Shortly after PAX is the goal."

That "date," if you could call it that, was subject to interpretation. However, it was not saying "for sure in August/September" like some people read it to be.

While Riot may be getting a lot of hate for not giving an exact date, you can't call them liars when they didn't even promise an exact date to begin with.

Plus, all the talk about "Riot said would be out with Riven / patch after riven / etc." is pretty much all speculation, as I have not seen legit proof that anyone from Riot actually said this.

As an aside, it's also decently humorous to see the people with the highest expectations instantly swap to the lowest expectations as far as a Dominion release date goes. I mean, people instantly went from saying "would come out August 29th" to flipping out and saying "will never come out."

i could not agree more

Darion Mograine

09-14-2011

Well, sorry to bust your fantasy bubble OP but they did actually give a specific timeframe. They said when season 2 started. Then they extended season 1. Then they said, we're delaying it "for another week". Then they said, "Dominion will be available during the next patch". Well... they're patching now, a new champion is coming out... lots of really great changes, but I saw NOTHING mentioning Dominion in their patch notes. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure when you say "available during the next patch" and then we get a patch that doesn't mention Dominion.... that's lying. Of course, they could just stealth launch it... and not put it in the patch notes. I'm totally fine with that, but if it's not in this patch... they will have lied.

nebb1234

09-14-2011

Quote:
Darion Mograine:
Well, sorry to bust your fantasy bubble OP but they did actually give a specific timeframe. They said when season 2 started. Then they extended season 1. Then they said, we're delaying it "for another week". Then they said, "Dominion will be available during the next patch". Well... they're patching now, a new champion is coming out... lots of really great changes, but I saw NOTHING mentioning Dominion in their patch notes. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure when you say "available during the next patch" and then we get a patch that doesn't mention Dominion.... that's lying. Of course, they could just stealth launch it... and not put it in the patch notes. I'm totally fine with that, but if it's not in this patch... they will have lied.

lieing? c'mon dude. I don't see how everyone feels so personally attacked by this. So their FREE game isn't out this week, it'll probably be out next week or soon after that. It's not a big deal and they didn't "wrong" anybody. Nobody has a crystal ball, ish happens. Deep breaths people

Oenn

09-14-2011

Looks like those trying to defend Riot have been backed into a corner since their retorts revolve around "reading too much emotion in text" and "oh well it's a free game".