Jungling Poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

doo0ooooooom

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob000 View Post
I dunno why people say shes slow. She low health and its dangerous but she jungles pretty quickly.
she doesn't jungle quickly, at least not relative to the serious junglers: she's got zero aoe, a slow base attack speed, and while her w does give her a bit of attack damage its not much of a steroid compared to the attack speed buff many junglers get.

Just looking at her kit, If you ignore her compete lack of sustain and the amount she'd need to return to base, she'll probably come out about as fast as warwick, a notoriously slow jungler who makes up for it by being at 100% hp all of the time. Realistically, even warwick is going to be much faster as she'll have to head back to base early and often, and warwick can start with a damage item like a doran's or long sword while poppy is glued to cloth armor + 5 hp pots. If you can post a path that gets her to level 6 in under 7:30ish (excluding gank/lane xp) i'd love to see it. (all of the serious junglers have paths that hit level 6 in about 6:20 to 7:20 from only jungle xp... although that's just a metric, in practice most will interrupt their route to gank sooner than this.)

hexenschuss

09-14-2011

Ok here you go. I can speed-jungle Poppy to 6 in 7:15 using this setup:

Runes: ArPen quints, AS marks + glyphs, Armor seals
Masteries: 21/0/9
Starting item: Vamp scepter
1st recall: Cloth armor + 1 HP pot
Skill order: w,q,q,e

Path is as follows
wolves -> wraiths (smite) -> golems -> recall
Blue(smite) -> wolves -> wraiths -> golems -> red (smite)(pot) -> wolves -> wraiths -> golems

Save you mana to q only, but wallslam the blue wraiths and redbuff as needed. She dips quite low at redbuff, but can survive easily with ticks from the HP pot + lifesteal.
That the only cricical point for invasion, else you can always escape easily with w/ghost/flash.

So how does it work? Poppy has no AoE skill to obliterate entire jungle camps, but she has considerable advantages while jungling.

1. Her passive essentially causes her to take 50% damage once she gets low. That means with a little bit of sustain (scepter) she almost can't die to jungle creeps.
2. Often overlooked but her w gives her 15 AD and armor for 1 measly skill point at lvl 1. Thats a freaking lot. And it scales with her passive and q and the AS Runes + Masteries.
3. What she lacks in AoE she makes up in single target damage. Her q alone is like a smite on a 4 sec CD if maxed, and her e hurts ton too. This makes the more dangerous buff creeps a breeze.
4. Once you ding 6 you can go buy a wriggles and solo dragon easily.

Im aware that this is not amazing compared to the top-notch junlgers, but its pretty solid, imo about the same level of viability as jungle Jarvan.

DA

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexenschuss View Post
Ok here you go. I can speed-jungle Poppy to 6 in 7:15 using this setup:

Runes: ArPen quints, AS marks + glyphs, Armor seals
Masteries: 21/0/9
Starting item: Vamp scepter
1st recall: Cloth armor + 1 HP pot
Skill order: w,q,q,e

Path is as follows
wolves -> wraiths (smite) -> golems -> recall
Blue(smite) -> wolves -> wraiths -> golems -> red (smite)(pot) -> wolves -> wraiths -> golems

Save you mana to q only, but wallslam the blue wraiths and redbuff as needed. She dips quite low at redbuff, but can survive easily with ticks from the HP pot + lifesteal.
That the only cricical point for invasion, else you can always escape easily with w/ghost/flash.

So how does it work? Poppy has no AoE skill to obliterate entire jungle camps, but she has considerable advantages while jungling.

1. Her passive essentially causes her to take 50% damage once she gets low. That means with a little bit of sustain (scepter) she almost can't die to jungle creeps.
2. Often overlooked but her w gives her 15 AD and armor for 1 measly skill point at lvl 1. Thats a freaking lot. And it scales with her passive and q and the AS Runes + Masteries.
3. What she lacks in AoE she makes up in single target damage. Her q alone is like a smite on a 4 sec CD if maxed, and her e hurts ton too. This makes the more dangerous buff creeps a breeze.
4. Once you ding 6 you can go buy a wriggles and solo dragon easily.

Im aware that this is not amazing compared to the top-notch junlgers, but its pretty solid, imo about the same level of viability as jungle Jarvan.

Exactly... this is slow.

And easily counterjungled. And easily killed while trying to do it.

If you want to specifically COUNTER jungle with her... just do a roaming poppy build. It functions a heck of a lot better. She is a much better roamer than jungler.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Start with boots, hp pot, and a ward.

B after lv2 to get more wards.

Place ward in jungle.

Wait for low hp jungler to go by; E and Q + ignite -> dead jungler.

Actually jungling with poppy is a nightmare; she can barely last hit in lane..

doo0ooooooom

09-14-2011

I'm impressed that you can jungle her that fast, you must time your Q's to the auto attacks better than i did when i tried jungling her, lol. Still seems dangerous as heck, with only one hp potion you'll pretty much have to back or die if the enemy jungler even sneezes at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexenschuss View Post
I used to think this too, but that's not actually what her passive does, the tooltip is confusing. After testing it in game i found that the 50% damage reduction is only applied to the damage over the 10% threshold, not the full weight of the attack... for example, if an attack does 40 damage to her, and she has 300 hp left, she'll take 35 damage (not 20). (10% of 300 + 50% of the difference between 10% of 300 and 40. )

you can test it out yourself in a custom game, go fight double golems at level 1 with poppy... they'll beat on you for ~35ish damage, then once you get below three 350, it'll drop down to 34, then 33, etc, until they finnally kill you with a hit for 18.

hexenschuss

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo0ooooooom View Post
I used to think this too, but that's not actually what her passive does, the tooltip is confusing. After testing it in game i found that the 50% damage reduction is only applied to the damage over the 10% threshold, not the full weight of the attack... for example, if an attack does 40 damage to her, and she has 300 hp left, she'll take 35 damage (not 20). (10% of 300 + 50% of the difference between 10% of 300 and 40. )
You're probably right, anyway the damagereduction ist still very noticeable.

To make a case for jungling Poppy: Yes it's risky, but my path is probably not what you would do in a real game. It's more of a benchmark to gauge her actual speed in comparison to other junglers. Which isn't half bad after all.
Normally you would focus a lot more on ganking or counterjungling, since Poppy isn't reliant on lvl 6 for that anyway.

JordanJrlol

09-15-2011

Jungle poppy is fine, but it is extremely slow compared to noct or leesinger.