getting yelled at for building leona AD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izael Archi Magu

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****DirtyCat View Post
You know, everyone called me crazy and noob when I saw Leona's kit and called her AD. "But Riot call her tank!!!!111" Shut up. Everything about her is tooled for straight AD or at least Tanky DPS. Her ratios aren't good enough to justify AP build and building her tank gives her no threat.

I wrote an article on a blog I run, No ELO, precisely about AD Leona. Here's the link if you're interested in the evaluation and build I use:

http://lolnoelo.wordpress.com/2011/0...tank-ap-or-ad/

tl;dr Leona's entire kit is about getting into melee and staying there, build AD and CDR to exploit it instead of having no threat as a sub-par tank.
Sub par tank? Leona is straight up bullet proof with her shield up and she has an insane amount of CC. She's one of the best tanks in the game.

Sub par would be building a champ into something they weren't designed for. Absolutely nothing that she does scales with AD, and none of her abilities help her auto attack. At least with an AP build you can still be relatively tanky and you have Lich Bane to work with. If you're going to build Leona as an AD carry you might as well try Tank EZ or or AP Pantheon.

UbberTengen

09-14-2011

Instead of going ap/ tank items go ad/tanks but dont try to be an ad carry, leaona is a tank.

Catters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izael Archi Magu View Post
Sub par tank? Leona is straight up bullet proof with her shield up and she has an insane amount of CC. She's one of the best tanks in the game.

Sub par would be building a champ into something they weren't designed for. Absolutely nothing that she does scales with AD, and none of her abilities help her auto attack. At least with an AP build you can still be relatively tanky and you have Lich Bane to work with. If you're going to build Leona as an AD carry you might as well try Tank EZ or or AP Pantheon.
You correctly note that Leona has a lot of CC. You also correctly note that she is practically bullet proof.

However, tanks have THREE important attributes. The first two you've already mentioned, CC and the ability to take damage. The third attribute is the ability to hold threat. For most tanks, this involves doing a lot of damage, like Amumu or Singed. For others, it involves a taunt ability, like Galio or Rammus. Leona has no such threat. There is literally no reason to attack her. She is too tanky to be focused, doesn't have a taunt, and doesn't do enough damage to be worth attacking.

What does this mean for Leona? This means that if you build her with tank items, no one is ever going to attack you and all of your HP and resists mean nothing until your team is already dead. If you build nothing but tank items on Leona no one is going to attack you and people are going to laugh as they walk out of your stuns and kill your towers for fun.

If you build her AP, her cooldowns, even with max CDR, do much less than 1 DPS per AP built on her, so you can't build her AP.

The only two viable builds for Leona right now are straight DPS, in which case you bank on your shield to give you enough tank, or tanky DPS, in which case you hope that the rest of your team does less damage than you so the tank items you built actually mean something. I'm going with DPS.

Also note that for every 1 AD you build on Leona, you get nearly or more than 1 DPS per AD built on her.

Just because a champ's abilities scale one way doesn't mean you should build them that way. 3 of Shaco's abilities scale with AP, but you'll never see a GOOD Shaco player building AP items.

Quren

09-14-2011

I've been burned by ****ty AD leonas so often and I imagine so have a lot of others. This is probably why people call you a troll. Almost every AD leona I've seen does ******ed things like attempting an Ashe build. Which of course promptly causes her to explode when anyone looks at her.

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanelliott View Post
So, im constantly (nearly every game) getting trashed talked at for building leona AD even when typical games go like this for me:
*******http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6955/lol3xy.jpg********
Is this just chocked up to people being jerks, or am i being an idiot here for even bothering to ask? more importantly, for experienced people, can i expect to play as good building leona AD once i start playing in ranked games, or am i shooting myself in the foot by not getting practice with more conventional playstyles? (i'm only level 26)
any advice.
The reason they are yelling at you is because you are taking kills away from the Carries. Leona is a tank, she needs assists not kills and she needs to be stunning other carries that are attacking her carries.

AD leona is a bad play style.

SeCKS Egai

09-14-2011

When you pick leona, you're basically claiming tank duty. In reality, she's a mediocre tank.

My best score as an ad carry was 20/0/27 - I'll probably never surpass it as people tend to surrender. Assuming Ad carries will keep up with some of your scores, most lack AoE and have one stun at best - if an ad carry starts to get a score like that, its very likely the team will surrender before that point.

But as far as Norm goes - as long as you clarify you're not tanking ahead of time, you should be fine assuming someone else actually grabs a tank - otherwise expect tank duty anyway. I will often have to switch out of my own AD carry simply because more often than not people don't want to tank, or are simply unwilling.

exLupo

09-14-2011

After a terrifyingly bad run today, my doubts about Leona's tankyness are growing even stronger. The argument that she is not a threat so gets left for last is not my experience. What I've been finding is that she's a speedbump on the way to your team losing a 5v5. That is, if you follow the "tanks rush in" concept. Maybe this is better when both teams are ad, tanky dps, ap, tank, support but when it's some mix of all ad/ap on one team and ad/ap+tank on the other, nobody can realistically initiate unless they have a mass disable, insane defense or other way to soak focus fire.

I've been finding she does better, regardless of gear, hanging back and creating close range focus targets. Whenever any short-mid range champ ventures too close she can lock them down for your team to tear apart. However, with this in mind, what's the point of tanky gear? Her 6 seconds of 70 bonus defense doesn't mean anything when getting focused on an initiate and it means just as little when CCing focus targets. The only answer I can find, at least for solo queue *sigh*, is AD or Tanky DPS. If she's going to be used at all. It may be that she's just a bad choice for times when AD is the best option. Her single target CCis an amazing gank enabler or, at least, flash forcer but is that enough to merit picking her at all?

AD looks like a great answer to a bad situation but it may be that the best choice is to pick another champ altogether.

Fishous

09-15-2011

Her crowd control IS her threat. It's why a lot of people go Ionian. If you're not going to build tanky, I think the farthest you could go is tanky DPS. Also, like others said, you're never going to get a score like that in a real game and you shouldn't use that to justify a playstyle. Game would usually end long before that. I can play Chogath and go 10/0/8 in a normal game then go 3/9/15 in a ranked. Normals aren't very good at confirming things, though they are good at testing. The skill of the enemy team varies widely in normal, as well as your teammates. Usually in ranked people try harder to win and pay attention to the details more. If you were supposed to tank but you didn't, the enemy team should just go in, fight for a few seconds and kill one or two of you then back off and push a tower since you have no one to take damage or tower hits.

The problem with you going AD Leona is that no matter how well you do with AD Leona, you'd have done even better with someone else.