getting yelled at for building leona AD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Catters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2011

You know, everyone called me crazy and noob when I saw Leona's kit and called her AD. "But Riot call her tank!!!!111" Shut up. Everything about her is tooled for straight AD or at least Tanky DPS. Her ratios aren't good enough to justify AP build and building her tank gives her no threat.

I wrote an article on a blog I run, No ELO, precisely about AD Leona. Here's the link if you're interested in the evaluation and build I use:

http://lolnoelo.wordpress.com/2011/0...tank-ap-or-ad/

tl;dr Leona's entire kit is about getting into melee and staying there, build AD and CDR to exploit it instead of having no threat as a sub-par tank.

Meanelliott

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****DirtyCat View Post
You know, everyone called me crazy and noob when I saw Leona's kit and called her AD. "But Riot call her tank!!!!111" Shut up. Everything about her is tooled for straight AD or at least Tanky DPS. Her ratios aren't good enough to justify AP build and building her tank gives her no threat.

I wrote an article on a blog I run, No ELO, precisely about AD Leona. Here's the link if you're interested in the evaluation and build I use:

http://lolnoelo.wordpress.com/2011/0...tank-ap-or-ad/

tl;dr Leona's entire kit is about getting into melee and staying there, build AD and CDR to exploit it instead of having no threat as a sub-par tank.
glad im not alone or the first person to see it this way. the logic and explanations in your blog post were all exactly how i had been looking at it.

question though, have you found leona to be as viable in ranked matches?

EDIT: btw i love your build suggestions, i keep trying to run ghostblade but i am absolutely horrible at remembering to trigger my item actives. maybe should be building one just to practice that with.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2011

Sorry to tell you, but Leona isn't a good phys carry. She can work well as a tanky brawler because she synergises so well with Trinity, but she cannot work as a pure phys carry. That is an important distinction. If you really want to do both damage and your job as Leona, just go Philo-Heart of Gold-Trinity-Atmas or the like.

For the record, your own experience, saddly to say, looks to be low skill level- I can't think of the last time I played a serious game that a single champion got over 30 kills in. This isn't to bash you, it is to say that you need to take your success with a grain of salt.

Catters

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanelliott View Post
glad im not alone or the first person to see it this way. the logic and explanations in your blog post were all exactly how i had been looking at it.

question though, have you found leona to be as viable in ranked matches?

EDIT: btw i love your build suggestions, i keep trying to run ghostblade but i am absolutely horrible at remembering to trigger my item actives. maybe should be building one just to practice that with.
She is definitely viable in ranked, but only if you build her as Tanky DPS. Everyone in decent ELO knows not to focus Leona, so you exploit that by building a fair amount of damage. As soon as they realize you're not building tank, you switch to building tank items and become Tanky DPS. It's even possible they may not notice you building DPS, in which case you can freely become Poppy with 3 stuns and better resists.

Jakey

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanelliott View Post
okay thanks. best advice yet. i will say this though. when i play tanky, i have never had a carry get anywhere near the amount of kills i get when i play as the carry. so if that was what it was i would kindly just tell them to stfu.

but what you say about ranked games is my big fear, that im spending the majority of my time practicing a playstyle that will just get facerolled.
Don't play ranked the minute you hit 30.

Just don't...You may think you're good now, but you will get much better. Trust me, I know.

Carados

09-13-2011

Why would you play Leona in this fashion over, say, an Irelia or a Jarvan, who have better skills to do damage, better laning, and more survivability?

Jakey

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Why would you play Leona in this fashion over, say, an Irelia?
Moar CC maybe? Only thing that comes to my mind.

Carados

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearedSnake View Post
Moar CC maybe? Only thing that comes to my mind.
Over more damage and more survability, and a better laning phase?

Jakey

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Over more damage and more survability, and a better laning phase?
Never said it was a good trade-off...

Carados

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearedSnake View Post
Never said it was a good trade-off...
It isn't. People are rightfully yelling at him.

You may carry games against bad players but it isn't a good build. Nothing in her kit supports such a build. You're just building AD to build AD.