Riot Finally Shows Real Reason They Banned Mac

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cpt Shiba

09-14-2011

you do realize that riot issues out macs to its employees, right? ...or atleast some of them

jucardi

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrikh View Post
So, wait... You think that because he's defending PC's from an attack, that he's anti-mac?

That's kinda pathetic... His points are valid, and anyone who runs a mac cannot deny that. It's very difficult to refute the truth with anything other than blind zealotry.

In short: I run an iMac on OSX as my primary machine. His post is 100% accurate. Macs are overpriced. They are not invincible.
They are not accurate at all.

I'll start with the price.

Yes, Macs are more expensive, so? A lot of people drink Scotch, a 21 years old Scotch is over 5 times more expensive than a 12 years old Scotch. They both have the same amount of alcohol, they will both get you drunk, they will both help you have a good time if you are into that, not even many people can tell the difference from one to another. But the truth is, even though both appear to be the same drink, one is the top of the line in quality, and while some people just care about getting drunk, some others enjoy a fine taste.

If you can't afford a Mac, don't blame Apple, just because you think they are over priced doesn't mean you are right. I'd take quality over apparent specs anytime.

When you buy a mac you are not just paying for hardware, you are playing for the whole thing:
- An engineered design for chip sets using only the top of the line devices.
- An amazing look and case design.
- FireWire / Thunderbolt ports and can hardly be found in a PC and are way better and faster than USB.
- Built in sensors that can't be found in other computers, for example, in laptops, sensors that are able to detect if your laptop is falling to force shutdown the hard drive before it hits the ground so your hard drive won't get scratched internally and you won't lose data.
- 24/7 support for the hole thing instead of just some features of the OS like Microsoft provides.
- Better performance can be obtained with lower hardware specs.
- An Operative System that is far better than Windows in every way:
* No blue screes (yes kernel panic could happen, though I've had macs for 5 years and I haven't seen the first one)
* Virus attacks are unlikely to happen even without an antivirus because the security standards used actually work, not like in the newest Windows, asking you fro everything, freezing the computer and yet being able to bypass those elevated priviledges.
* No need to restart the computer pretty much once a day because of a poor memory management like the one Windows has. In fact, no need to restart the computer ever to gain better performance.
* Application Management as easy as copying a file to the Applications folder to install it or dragging it to the Trash to remove it.
* No Windows Registry that can be filled with **** that will make the computer perform slowly and unless you know your way around the Windows Registry, it will eventually lead you to either format it and re install everything or lead you to buy a registry clean up program that most of the times don't even work.
* A LOT more user friendly than any other OS.

And there are tons of other things that I'm probably forgetting.

The only thing that I support on that image is that RAM upgrades and Hard Drives upgrades are overpriced, so? Buy your Mac with the lowest Hard Drive and the lowest RAM, then go to Amazon and buy the RAM and the Hard Drive you want and sell the originals on eBay, not very complicated.

I am defending Mac from an attack and yes, I AM anti-Windows, I respect PCs with Linux. Unix OS are the best way to go.

I've had computers of all brands with Windows (Dell, HP, Sony, AlienWare, clones) and 5 years ago I went for a Mac, I don't regret it not even one bit, if you haven't had a Mac, you shouldn't talk at all because you don't have enough points of views to compare.

If you don't like Macs, don't get one, but don't trash them either because it makes you look bad, specially if you are a Riot staff (not referring to the person I'm quoting but the person on the other post which is already closed).

Now, RIOT THIS IS FOR YOU:

If you consider yourself a competitive serious gaming company, you are making a huge mistake by removing the Mac support. If you ever want to compete with a company like Blizzard, which is probably the best gaming company in the world for these kinds of games at this point, you have to consider that they DO HAVE MAC SUPPORT, Startcraft, Diablo II, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II and the upcoming Diablo III) have native Mac Applications, and not the **** "beta program" you made which is just a modified Wine Bottle with the Windows game in it, you actually have to create the engine for mac that can run the data files natively.

Fire that company you hired to give support to mac and hire real developers than can actually develop in Mac OS, or UNIX for that matter, so you can create a native Mac engine and maybe a native Lunix engine.

The answer is not to cut Mac users out, you will lose a LOT of playing clients and let's point out something that some people have said, Macs are more expensive, people that buy Macs are more likely to have more money to spend in your game.

------

I mean no disrespect for anyone, I love LoL, I think Riot created an amazing game and they have done an excellent work keeping balance and making the game fun so far. I also don't mean any disrespect for anyone who rather use Windows, but respect comes both ways.

Anne Bancroft

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizeck View Post
Professionals wouldnt have taken a side between his customers.
exactly. A professional would have closed the topic and not said a word.

VAL0R

09-15-2011

Meh when people try to argue that their pc is better than my mac I just tell them that i've owned mine for 3 years, have used it regularly everyday, and have yet to run a virus scan and it still works perfectly.

milkytoast

09-19-2011

I'm not really sure why there is so much hate for the mac. After Fixing PCs for 15 years hating Windows I can understand. Oh the number of blue screens I have seen... I can't calculate the times I have searching the registry for some half uninstalled program... the innumerable driver reinstalls, especially printers.... the incalculable times I have had ctrl-alt-del to kill a rogue process.... the monumental number of times I have had to hard reboot it due to a freeze... however I can honestly say that viruses were never as much trouble for me as the virus removal software was.

I try to use and promote linux where I can. To me Linux is a much better alternative to the average windows PC, but the mac is just comfortable to use in so many ways.

YSfighter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

@jcuardi,
well written post m8, just one thing though.We wish this was a Wine Bottled app. It's a Cider Port. Which is tons worse. But i don't know why it does this badly. Mass Effect on Cider build 4467 works with better FPS than this does

Ediwir

Wrenchman

09-19-2011

yay. fresh news of 10 mins ago!

*a summoner has disconnected*
10-15 min later:
*a summoner has reconnected*
XXX (olaf): sorry guys, **** pc crashed for no reason >.>
Ediwir (Taric): get Linux, solve problem :P
XXX (olaf): indeed :P

commonly know as "most fitting" OS for gaming, can make you lose matches for no reason.
if i happened to lose games because of my OS, i'd probably change it right away. or throw it out the window, bad temper XD
still, windows lost me a game even when i was using OS X >.> sucks.
i've never made my teammates lose a game like that... best OS for gaming my a**...

[/rant]

Kid Vid

09-20-2011

I should seriously stop reading these forums, no one, even the devs, know what they're talking about.

Lv 2 Black Mage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

No one in this thread knows what they're talking about, bunch of mad kids

King Newman

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrikh View Post
So, wait... You think that because he's defending PC's from an attack, that he's anti-mac?

That's kinda pathetic... His points are valid, and anyone who runs a mac cannot deny that. It's very difficult to refute the truth with anything other than blind zealotry.

In short: I run an iMac on OSX as my primary machine. His post is 100% accurate. Macs are overpriced. They are not invincible.
Look at the picture he posted with it brah.... explains everything