Definitiion of a 'Carry'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gnmish

05-26-2010

Ok so obviously I've seen the term used often to describe what I gather is basically a very tough and powerful champion (who has been fed).

However I've never actually seen a true definition of a carry, Tank, DPS, Nuker, Support all of these are fairly self explanatory, however Carry seems to be this ineffable term that people throw around with a vauge kind of meaning, and only applies to some champions.

ie. "Jax and Ashe can carry, but [insert champion name here] can't." Even though I have seen almost every champion in the game played well enough that I consider that player/champ "carried" the game. (except Kayle )

Whats your definition of a Carry?

Tram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2010

Carry is someone who's squishy at the first 5 levels but can kill 2-3 people singlehandely at lvl.18 without dying too much.

finalformeskimo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2010

A carry characterized by being able to do a great amount of damage continuously. Pretty much always AD and is viewed as a huge threat because of this. Not to mention if they survive a teamfight, they are going to wreck any turrets.

This obviously excludes bursters(unless your cooldown it rediculously short) and tanks who cant put that much damage out. They generally also stack a little defense its possible to last the fights through so they can keep doing damage.

Good examples IMO are Ashe, Tristana, Jax(duh), possibly Garen, AD Nidalee, AD Ezreal, possibly Warwick.

Although obviously, anyone who is overfed and able to just charge in and wreck can be considered as "carrying the team," although they arent true carries.

Alphacide

05-26-2010

Carry = bad early game, insane endgame.

Only carrys in lol are diffrent than HoN or DoTA.

In lol most carrys are bad early game, bad end game, or insane early game, insane endgame. Its just how riot balences

Peach Plum Pair

05-26-2010

Need to be "carried" through early-game but "carry" their team to victory late-game.

MoarYogurt

05-26-2010

After playing this game for a while, I've come to the conclusion that "Carry" is a hold over from Dota. It used to mean a character that could put an entire team on their back and drag them to victory after getting farmed enough.

Take twitch for example. There was a point before his latest range nerf that he could wipe a whole team 45 or 50 minutes in. IE and some armor pen and he would **** on anything.

He can't do that anymore because he can't attack from a completely safe distance. He's still a deadly ganker and with proper tankage and crowd control can still wipe a team, but he can no longer win a 2v5 or 3v5 based soley on positioning and farm.

In DotA, Spectre, for instance, had an ability called Haunt that created an image for every champion on the other team and gave her vision. She could then teleport to any one of those images. Those images also did damage. If she got a Manta Style (which gave her more images) and Diffusal Blade (which gave her mana burn for more damage) and used Haunt, suddenly there were 8 Spectres on the screen all burning mana and doing damage.

She also had a 20 percent damage reduction ability that reflected damage and allowed her to tank an absurd amount for a dps character.

Put all this together, and if you let her get farmed, she could kill an entire team in very short order.

We don't really have anything this absolutely absurd because there is not enough hard crowd control in this game (read stuns) and no gold penalty. It is hard to keep a hero like that from farming. See Tryndamere pre-patch. That was a carry. He became unstoppable and could carry a team after getting enough items.

Riot doesn't like this because people on the forums don't like this. So characters that can actually carry are nerfed because they are too "OP". This can also be seen as good because it creates a need for teamwork instead of HOLY **** SPECTRE IS FARMED. GG.

AIM7Sparrow

05-26-2010

I always thought the definition was relatively simple.

"A carry is a character who scales well, (better than the majority of the cast), with items."

And from this you can infer that since they scale well with items, their damage output is weak early game and strong late game.

And then from that people got the idea to call these characters "carries" because you carry them through the early game and then they carry you through the late game.

RiceMan

05-26-2010

Most people classify carry as a physical DPS just because of their nature but it's possible to be a carry without fitting that classification.

Definition of a carry for me: A champion that "carries" their team to victory.

The stereotypical carry has a terrible early game but late game almost guarantees a win if farmed up enough or simply fed. I can't find the post right now but someone made a post describing the different between different types of carries but I'll try to explain what I remember. (May not be 100% correct)

Hard Carry: Very weak early game and requires tons of farm in order to get the items to be almost unstoppable.

Soft Carry: Don't have as weak of a start and still require a lot of gold but they are not nearly as reliant on it as Hard Carries.

IMO, there really are no true Hard Carries in League but most of them are Soft Carries. While any type of champion can "carry" they are not true "carries". They're just fed. Any champion fed can become a carry in a sense. Even Soraka considering you should be able to heal ridiculous amounts.

But in the end I think most people use it for the physical DPS champions such as, like you said, Jax and Ashe.

Helenek

05-26-2010

If I'm not mistaken the true definition of a 'carry' is that the character is very item dependent.

Carados

05-26-2010

A carry is a character who scales with items to do a large amount of sustained damage. The important part is sustained. Karthus is a carry, poppy isn't. It doesn't have to by physical damage vs magical damage.