Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riven = Rurouni Kenshin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thebabyclown

09-09-2011

New Riven lore released and it sounds vaguely familar...
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/new-champion-approaches-riven-exile
Fought for their government with no fear or ethical dilemma? Check
Realized war and killing is ****ed up no matter what side you're on? Check
Realized that the government they were fighting for wouldn't achieve the vision they imagined? Check
Now seeks atonement for their sins? Check
Now seeks to create the vision they had imagined for the future? Check
BONUS: Holds her weapon backwards (like the reverse blade sword!)
http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/images/news/Sept%202011%20Temp/Riven_Splash_0.jpg

EDIT: Oh man getting downvotes, but atleast I was half right haha. Xypherous outright says that some inspiration for the character came from RK.

EDIT2: I'm not claiming ALL inspiration, or even any at all (although it has been confirmed some of it has been), came from Rurouni Kenshin. I was merely drawing a comparison.

Alazreal

09-09-2011

Jesus... Riven is EVERY anime character EVER made!

God, already like 4 different comparisons...

Edit: And I am SHOCKED to find out you are correct sir. @_@

Arcqe

09-09-2011

Quote:
Shuyuu:
Jesus... Riven is EVERY anime character EVER made!

God, already like 4 different comparisons...

qft

thebabyclown

09-09-2011

Just thought this matched up REALLY closely. Sure anime storylines are sometimes generic, but this felt very similar. But do you really have to get all pissy when someone speaks their mind? What is there to gain from bashing?

EDIT: I'll assume the downvotes are from people that don't even know what Rurouni Kenshin is and just say "OMG COMPARING TO ANIME. DOWNVOTE!!!!" but whatever.

lGrine

09-09-2011

1) She never realized war and killing is ****ed up, she still very much a killer
2) She still follows the ideals of her society
3) She is not seeking atonement for sins

If you had read her story with any comprehension you would know that she firmly believes that being the strongest earns you the right to live, and being weak means you deserve to die. She does not feel bad for killing, she just strongly disagrees with killing people without the use of physical skill and strength (IE poison).

Shes not like every anime character, she is NOT a former killer who found morals.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

09-09-2011

Actually, when I set out to do this character, her backstory was a little different. (She was Demacian and she got exiled for rescuing Noxian Refugees from Demacian Persecution.)

After her backstory got shifted to Noxus, I think it's pretty apparent that I straight-up watched all of Kenshin back to back to try to get some inspiration. :P Basically, she's not Kenshin -> She's far closer to Soujiroh. I always thought Tenken no Soujiroh was a character with more potential, since Kenshin's journey is essentially "done" and he's found his answer.

Flamecloak

09-09-2011

Wind Scar!

Johan Liebert

09-09-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:
Actually, when I set out to do this character, her backstory was a little different. (She was Demacian and she got exiled for rescuing Noxian Refugees from Demacian Persecution.)

After her backstory got shifted to Noxus, I think it's pretty apparent that I straight-up watched all of Kenshin back to back to try to get some inspiration. :P Basically, she's not Kenshin -> She's far closer to Soujiroh. I always thought Tenken no Soujiroh was a character with more potential, since Kenshin's journey is essentially "done" and he's found his answer.

Woah....

Delicious Niku

09-09-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:

<3 Rurouni Kenshin. If she's a Seta though, then her Ult should be a 1-shot kill literally though

Templar2k7

09-09-2011

the Red has spoken