Endgame Malphite: No purpose?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WestminsterNinja

09-08-2011

I've come to the conclusion that Malphite is a champ that peaks at level 12-13 and has little purpose afterwards and wanted your guys' opinion. It doesn't even have anything to do with his mediocre AP ratios. He can't really do anything to increase his damage because his damage scales with too many different things.

Sure, you can initiate with your ult endgame, but that's about all you do during team fights. It seems to me like other tanks can do a decent job initiating while still remaining relevant for the duration of the fight (Chogath, for instance).

I've experimented with about everything. NickPham's build is about the best one I've seen, but nothing seems to make Malphite relevant endgame. Heck, I almost feel like building Deathfire Grasp on him just to be able to do something.

He only seems relevant endgame against an extremely AD heavy team, but that's not saying much.

Micre

09-08-2011

You realize that damage is not quite his forte unless you build ad right? I use Malphite fairly frequently and I build him tank. When it comes to late game my priorities are this. Take the damage, slow enemies that are chasing my carries with any of three abilities: Seismic Shard, Exhaust, and armor with aoe slow. You have the ground smash to slow attack speed on enemies. Your ult is amazing for initiating. If we are winning the fight then I just keep a target in range by keeping them slowed. Damage is not what I do, but ending a game 2/5/21 is not unusual for me.

WestminsterNinja

09-08-2011

You don't get my point. Obviously tanks aren't supposed to do damage. I'm saying that there are tanks that can initiate while being much more helpful than Malphite.

iLikeSushi

09-08-2011

I play Malph as a tank and I find that he's very useful at lvl 6+, but he suffers the same deal that all tanks suffer: your team needs to be competent and work with you. People don't always see Malph as a threat because they don't immediately notice how much their AS is being reduced by him, but it's quite strong.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2011

You are mostly right. I wouldn't say hes worthless at 13 though. His damage still stays relevant until level 18, though in a diminishing capacity.

Still at 18 that is true. He can initiate like a beast and then hope the baddie is dumb enough to focus fire him, but thats about it for "tanking". If ignored, he spams a mediocre damage slow, a mediocre AoE and weak autoattacks. He is absolutely ignorable.
The only reason he is NOT ignored is because his Ult, boosted AoE, and Q makes for a pretty nasty combo and deals heavy damage. Plus he is at that point the only baddie to focus on. Plus they remember getting killed by this combo at level 6. :-) Smart players will then engage the other players once they come into range.

After 18 all you can do is hope for is that your carries and teammates will take the game for you, because your contribution is minimal from that point on.

Cenerae

09-08-2011

Malphite's late game job is to shut down AD carries.

Ground slam and a frozen heart will cripple enemy dps attack speed.

He may not seem that scary late game (and he's not), but his specialized role is to counter right clickers, and he does this well. He can also initiate a fight and peel for his carry using Q.

WestminsterNinja

09-08-2011

Quote:
You are mostly right. I wouldn't say hes worthless at 13 though.
I didn't mean to imply he's worthless at level 13. He's fantastic at about this level because he has maxed shard, max ground slam, and the 2nd level of he awesome ult (15 sec CDR FTW). He's at his strongest at about level 12-13, but it's all downhill from there. He has good CC with reasonable damage at level 12 because there aren't that many defense items in the game yet. As the game progresses after level 12 his damage becomes negligible. Then all he's left with is his CC and otherwise stands around like a dork.

Quote:
He may not seem that scary late game (and he's not), but his specialized role is to counter right clickers, and he does this well. He can also initiate a fight and peel for his carry using Q.
I dunno, I view him more as a soft counter to AD carries, especially when going against a balanced team as he has to balance out his MR and armor, especially since he's the tank. If he is against an AD heavy team, however, then he will absolutely punish them for their poor choice in champions as stacking armor combined with his E will wreck them.

Cenerae

09-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterNinja View Post
I dunno, I view him more as a soft counter to AD carries, especially when going against a balanced team as he has to balance out his MR and armor, especially since he's the tank. If he is against an AD heavy team, however, then he will absolutely punish them for their poor choice in champions as stacking armor combined with his E will wreck them.
Naturally.

And now you see why Malphite isn't a common pick - because 99% of the time people only have 1, maybe 2 right clickers in their team.

For actual initiation/peeling there are better choices than Malphite.

Kilrathi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2011

It helps a bit to build Abyssal Scepter on him - you get some AP that way (whiile getting the MR to counter the mages on the other team), plus you're helping your mages hit harder. Build him with that, Randuin's and Frozen Heart and if you hit your ult right you'll either really hurt their squishy or knock up their whole team then slow them and their attack speed so your squishies can clean up. Maybe you're not doing a ton of damage after that but I've had plenty of times where I've ulted into the middle of 3-4 enemies, hit the combo, thrown Shard at someone who was running away and gotten a kill and a couple of assists while absorbing damage and living to tell about it. Could Amumu have done the same? Sure, as could other tanks/tanky DPS, but if you build him and play him right he's still a decent character.

If his ratios were much higher - as they used to be - he'd be a real handful to lane against because of his shield and how hard shard hits early on, so I think he's fairly balanced as he is.

To OP's point: I do think he tails off late game but by then you're not getting the kills yourself but your carries should be farmed up to the point where a good initiation followed by a couple slows lets them do their job. (last game I played was 17-1-25 as Malph but, well, that was a really, really squishy and not very good team on the other side - still, it was pretty fun!)

-Kilrathi

EchoRex

09-08-2011

Good initiation, can carry shutdown with attack speed debuff and anti-kiting, and delivers decent pushing with absolutely minimal offensive itemization.

On top of being a fairly quick jungle for tower dive ganks starting very early.

Is he a sleeper OP pick? No.
Is he weaker than some? Yes.
Is he a bad pick? No.