Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LOL Matchmaking Explained

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Korovin

09-15-2009

Any chance I could get my Elo?

renticletape

09-15-2009

Good read. I agree fully with the way the system works and it looks pretty fair. However, I think that some more system intelligent algorithms and heuristics should be implemented for better matching solo queues, especially when the number of players increase after release and allot more data can be gathered from the players.

Here is one of my ideas: Everyone probably has their player type preferences, and the game seems to encourage sticking to that (with fixed runes and mastery tree setups). Some like to play support, others like to play dps/nukers, and others like playing tanks, and occasionally you get your jack of all trades. By looking at the player's champion pick history and win loss record with those champs, it may be possible to determine what types of champions that player is skilled at and prefers playing. I think this data should be taken into account when matching people with solo queues so that there is a greater chance that the solo team can pick a solid and balanced line up while everyone gets to pick their favorite champs instead of being forced to pick someone that the team needs because everyone else got first picks (a typical issue when solo queuing).

I think this will give a slight advantage to solo queuing and help improve solo performance data so that matching solo's vs pre-mades will become more even with less needs for compensation.

Zetsu

Recruiter

09-15-2009

Great post, thanks for making it Zileas.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Savage:
Are you using asymmetrical comparable ranges? I.E., if your adjusted ELO rating is 1600, you could be paired against players that are, say, -70 to +100 rating difference from you?

I cannot think of any other way that you could be properly adjusting for 5 man strength and still delivering 50% win rates.

Oh, you still are seeing on non-peak times those guys in the 16501750 range getting a decent # of lopsided matches. But it's closed beta, so the pool is small, I'm not concerned.

Quote:

Well depends on what you mean by rare. It will affect about the same number of players, but they'll be a much smaller percentage of the player base.

Correct

Quote:

Well I'm curious why you think that having a tanking effect for the better players is preferable to just scrambling the teams randomly, especially when the magnitude of the effect is typically very small.

Because usually the only valid match ends up being a 5 man premade at ~2000 rating vs whatever we can cobble together between solos and partial pre-mades in the 1700-2000 rating. And the decision is either, wait for another 20 minutes, or just go for it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
renticletape:
Good read. I agree fully with the way the system works and it looks pretty fair. However, I think that some more system intelligent algorithms and heuristics should be implemented for better matching solo queues, especially when the number of players increase after release and allot more data can be gathered from the players.

Here is one of my ideas: Everyone probably has their player type preferences, and the game seems to encourage sticking to that (with fixed runes and mastery tree setups). Some like to play support, others like to play dps/nukers, and others like playing tanks, and occasionally you get your jack of all trades. By looking at the player's champion pick history and win loss record with those champs, it may be possible to determine what types of champions that player is skilled at and prefers playing. I think this data should be taken into account when matching people with solo queues so that there is a greater chance that the solo team can pick a solid and balanced line up while everyone gets to pick their favorite champs instead of being forced to pick someone that the team needs because everyone else got first picks (a typical issue when solo queuing).

I think this will give a slight advantage to solo queuing and help improve solo performance data so that matching solo's vs pre-mades will become more even with less needs for compensation.

Yeah, that's worth looking into for matchmaking 2.0 at some point. I agree it would help for the majority of players.

Man Dinh

The Council

09-15-2009

Ya, its hard if the distribution is platykurtotic. It is nearly impossible to address the players in the far right. Its probably only fair to match the top .01% of the players with each other but with the limited player pool, time differences/availability and even the differential in ELO among those players its still a very difficult match up.

Man Dinh

The Council

09-15-2009

And wtf, you work hella late zileas. I see like 3AM PST posts too.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

09-15-2009

Quote:
And wtf, you work hella late zileas. I see like 3AM PST posts too.

It's only midnight here now- don't give him too much credit.

Man Dinh

The Council

09-15-2009

I mean yesterday, I saw him posting at 3AM. And Pendragon, make me Ajudicator, NAO!

Sayan

Recruiter

09-16-2009

Match making works for me and that is all I care about, I find myself wining more games when I solo que though...

Anyways Zileas I am going to borrow your post and post it in another forum that has been blatantly saying MM in LOL is stupid so it might help explain a few things to them...

Thanx for the detailed explanation, much appreciated...