Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LOL Matchmaking Explained

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adonis

Recruiter

09-15-2009

zileas, what's my elo out of curiosity? I haven't been playing nearly as many matches as I used to, and I solo que now at least once a night. So I'm wondering if I'm near the top of the curve, especially becuase my solo queu waits are very short (just a few minutes)

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
adonis:
zileas, what's my elo out of curiosity? I haven't been playing nearly as many matches as i used to, and i solo que now at least once a night. So i'm wondering if i'm near the top of the curve, especially becuase my solo queu waits are very short (just a few minutes)

Malkir

09-15-2009

Something I have been wondering that I cannot seem to find is with all these numbers what does say someone who plays 1 game end up being at. In WoW arena everyone would start at 1500, is this similar to ELO such as the average player is like 500? I have seen some elo numbers tossed out but I haven't seen what a new player's elo would be on average compared to someone that is top tier number 1.

PiousFlea

The Council

09-15-2009

I'd be willing to bet that the "super secret penalty" for leavers is that they get preferentially matched up against other leavers. It's been done by a lot of multiplayer games, most famously the Xbox Live system.

LeGeR

Recruiter

09-15-2009

edit : Most players probably want to know their own elo, so today I'm just removing my request. :P

Savage

09-15-2009

Quote:
Zileas:
I don't follow.

As your ELO gets high enough that you're consistently the best player in your match, then your teammates will consistently be worse than your opponents.

Being stuck on a team with teammates that are significantly worse than myself is significantly more rage inducing than playing against an opposing team that's significantly better than my own.

Essentially, the idea that good players get tanked in pubs by having the worst players in the match put in their team has been verified.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Savage:
As your ELO gets high enough that you're consistently the best player in your match, then your teammates will consistently be worse than your opponents.

Being stuck on a team with teammates that are significantly worse than myself is significantly more rage inducing than playing against an opposing team that's significantly better than my own.

Essentially, the idea that good players get tanked in pubs by having the worst players in the match put in their team has been verified.

That is the case for VERY VERY high rated matches more often than not (for solo queues vs solo queues, which is again rare at the very highest levels), and we are running analysis to figure out if this is inherently more disadvantageous than 5 "average" players at those levels. Thus far, we don't see evidence of it. As we gain data, we will be able to say for sure, and if there's a problem, adjusting how we "composite" team strength is already supported easily by the system.

But if you arent in the top .2 or .3% of players, this effect is very small -- if you are a 1600 player, you still get matched with people "around" 1600, so you will only have a little bit of the whole "weaker player on your team" effect. However, these spreads are generally pretty narrow. The "terrible" player is often not that terrible, they may only be 20 or 30 points lower, which is how you'd be rated if you lost a game or two.

Rooks

09-15-2009

" For expert players near the top of our rankings, they will often run 90% win rates."

I am not sure I agree with this unless there are different map types/game modes yet to be released. I'll use myself as an example on the current 5v5 map.

99% of the time I solo que. I do not see how it would be possible, no matter how good I am, to pull off a 90% win rate, when the matchmaking system is trying to pair me up against other people of equal skill. I can see this happening in 5 man pre-mades (or less depening on map type, such as 3v3), which is all nice and good, but does not interest me.

When I solo que, I would prefer to be matched up against other solo que'ers and with solo que'ers. I do not want to hear Sephiroth77 and BallzInYOFACE talk about going to Ericka's party later and to make sure Sephiroth77 remembers to bring his Kanye West CD.

I am not sure mixing solo people with pre-made teams is a good move in a competitive environment. Unless I am completely mistaken and there is going to be a solo ladder completely seperate from a pre-made ladder.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
PiousFlea:
I'd be willing to bet that the "super secret penalty" for leavers is that they get preferentially matched up against other leavers. It's been done by a lot of multiplayer games, most famously the Xbox Live system.

It's easy to do, and its certainly on our list of possibilities. The newbie island code could easily be shifted to be "recent leaver" code as a seperate category as well.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Rooks:
" For expert players near the top of our rankings, they will often run 90% win rates."

I am not sure I agree with this unless there are different map types/game modes yet to be released. I'll use myself as an example on the current 5v5 map.

99% of the time I solo que. I do not see how it would be possible, no matter how good I am, to pull off a 90% win rate, when the matchmaking system is trying to pair me up against other people of equal skill. I can see this happening in 5 man pre-mades (or less depening on map type, such as 3v3), which is all nice and good, but does not interest me.

When I solo que, I would prefer to be matched up against other solo que'ers and with solo que'ers. I do not want to hear Sephiroth77 and BallzInYOFACE talk about going to Ericka's party later and to make sure Sephiroth77 remembers to bring his Kanye West CD.

I am not sure mixing solo people with pre-made teams is a good move in a competitive environment. Unless I am completely mistaken and there is going to be a solo ladder completely seperate from a pre-made ladder.

As a solo queue, you probably wont run 90% win rates since youll get matched with weaker people in the eligible group to even things out. As a 3-5 man premade you might simply because theres no one above you to be matched vs you, so you necessarily end up the stronger team because the system cant break your premade.