Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LOL Matchmaking Explained

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Learnedsoul

Recruiter

09-15-2009

But.... but... why does it matter? After all...

Quote:
ByronicHero:
I actually decide who wins every game at the loading screen. Just another service I provide for Riot.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Malkir:
Thanks for the reasoning behind how it works. I have been noticing a 50% 50% when queueing recently and its really annoying to see win/loss/win/loss in my past 4 games but it seems like this is working \o/ I understand from what I read that the rated games will show you what your "elo" is. Do you think it is a fair assumption once that happens to kind of see your rated ELO as the same as your normal game elo? or do you think that people will have 2 completely different numbers between rated and non-rated simply because of the amount of people that will be doing normal over rated?

No, normal games are intended to be low pressure "for fun" games -- so we don't show ratings or losses.

Ranked games are about high pressure competition

Balls In Your Mouth

09-15-2009

Boo I wanna see where I sit on the ELO scale

Malkir

09-15-2009

Reading about all of this is bringing out the competitive nature that I have!! The fact you guys put so much time and math into assuring that matches being played are fair and balanced just for the "for fun" games, I have a lot of confidence that the rated games will be just that much more competitive and exciting to play, since I know that's where I will be once the rated games get launched.

09-15-2009

Quote:
If we gave you a penalty even if they won, we would be "deflating" the entire system of ratings down over time, causing newbs to run into pros eventaully.
I don't understand, why is that? Someone who left deserves no credit for their team winning without them. If you give them credit, you are elevating leavers higher than they should be. Maybe if they were there for most of the game, but then you encourage people to take off once they're sure their team will win. If someone who is sucking badly realizes that this is how it works, they'll know that if their team is going to win it'll be no thanks to them, and quit when they're on a death streak. At the very least, leaving should earn you a loss if they lose and nothing if they win.

Balls In Your Mouth

09-15-2009

They're contributing to the win by not feeding their opponents.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Zeyk:
I don't understand, why is that? Someone who left deserves no credit for their team winning without them. If you give them credit, you are elevating leavers higher than they should be. Maybe if they were there for most of the game, but then you encourage people to take off once they're sure their team will win. If someone who is sucking badly realizes that this is how it works, they'll know that if their team is going to win it'll be no thanks to them, and quit when they're on a death streak. At the very least, leaving should earn you a loss if they lose and nothing if they win.

it doesnt give you a 'win' on your record, but will adjust your elo as if it were a win. The overall health of the system is more important than the particular leaver, and making things line up by adjusting for the leaver leaving ends up introducing a lot of other problems. So, we must punish them in other ways.

Morbis

09-15-2009

you didn't mention the part about the malevolent match making entity making a conscience decision to place certain 3 man groups on a team with 2 terrible players, then send them up against 5 man premades just to repeatedly spite them

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-15-2009

Quote:
Morbis:
you didn't mention the part about the malevolent match making entity making a conscience decision to place certain 3 man groups on a team with 2 terrible players, then send them up against 5 man premades just to repeatedly spite them

Yes, because that's a bug in the present system where it considers partial premades way stronger than they actually are.

Envious

09-15-2009

Quote:
This explanation is current as of the patch going out late in the week of Sept 15th (wed, thurs or fri)

Oh noes patch on Friday, bold underlined confirmation. HALP