Custom Skin Help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sykah

05-23-2010

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a little help with installing custom skins. I've tried following the guide in general to no avail. This is the skin I'm attempting to use. The name of the file that downloads is FallenAngel, which is the name of the normal Morgana skin. I've tried ranaming that file FallenAngel.dds and Blood_Angel.dds (also BloodAngel.dds). None of these have worked.

Here is a screenshot of the file/file location at this point in time. The bar reads: C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Characters\FallenAngel.

If there is anything that I've looked over/something I'm doing wrong, any help would be very much appreciated!

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

05-23-2010

You want the .dds file name to be the same as the folder name. So the custom skin file should read FallenAngel.dds Just like that. The file is already in the right location, just try renaming it.

Sykah

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by colloquial View Post
You want the .dds file name to be the same as the folder name. So the custom skin file should read FallenAngel.dds Just like that. The file is already in the right location, just try renaming it.
That's what it was until I tried renaming it BloodAngel, though I tested it out again and it still didn't work.

If it helps any, when its downloading the file comes up as Blood_Angel, though for some reason it is FallenAngel when I extract it. Also, I was under the impression that FallenAngel was the name of Morgana's normal skin?

Still, if there's anything else you can think of it would be much appreciated =)

1stTimer

05-24-2010

Simply change the skin name from Blood_angel.dds to FallenAngel.dds. Doing so will cause the client to read from your .dds custom skin before the "default" FallenAngel skin.

Sykah

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimer View Post
Simply change the skin name from Blood_angel.dds to FallenAngel.dds. Doing so will cause the client to read from your .dds custom skin before the "default" FallenAngel skin.
Like I said, I've tried this a few times and it still doesn't work.

Sr Kundo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-24-2010

Preferred method (non-zip; no backups for patches required!) thanks to BananaBoy

1. Download the skin from http://leaguecraft.com/skins, it will be called <Champion Name>.dds
2. Go to \Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\ and open the Characters folder, if it does not exist create it.
3. Open the folder called <Champion Name>, if it does not exist create it.
4. Paste your <Champion Name>.dds in that folder and enjoy the Skin ingame.

e.g.:
Ashe skin, called bowmaster_clr.dds goes to
\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Characters\Bowmaster\
LoL will check these folders (DATA\Characters or DATA\Particles etc.) before opening the HeroPak_client.zip!

PS: As discussed in other threads: There are some skins, which are not located at the Characters folder, e.g. Sion's skin when he uses Enrage.
Check the \DATA\Particles\ folder for these kind of skins (search for the name of the champion or skill, you will find it in that folder as it has no subfolders).e folders (DATA\Characters or DATA\Particles etc.) before opening the HeroPak_client.zip!

Alternative method Note: Requires backing up or using our backup file to patch!

1. Download the skin attached to the post
2. Open C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\Game\HeroPak_client.zip\DATA\Characters\<N ame of Champion>
3. Make sure to make backups of the file you're going to replace
4. Replace <Champion Name>.dds with the one you just downloaded

DONE!

NOTE: You may have to create a folder with the name if it doesn't already exist

NOTE: Every patch you must download the backup and replace before you can patch!

You do not have to have a backup if you use the preferred method above

Champion names for modification that differ from folder name

Annie = Annie
(Tibbers = bear)
Amumu = SadMummy
Anivia = Cryopheonix
Ashe = Bowmaster
Blitzcrank = SteamGolem
Cho'Gath = GreenTerror
Corki = Corki
Gangplank = Pirate
Jax = Armsmaster
Karthus = Lich
Kassadin = Voidwalker
Kayle = Judicator
Morgana = FallenAngel
Nunu = Yeti
Rammus = Armordillo
Shaco = Jester
Singed = ChemicalMan
Taric = Gemknight
Tryndamere = DarkChampion
Twisted Fate = Cardmaster
Veigar = Permission
Warwick = Wolfman
Zilean = Chronokeeper

If the champion you're looking for doesn't exist in this list, their folder name is equal to their actual in-game name!

Example:
Annie = /Characters/Annie
Udyr = /Characters/Udyr

Sr Kundo

Recruiter

05-24-2010

That or you can wait until the next patch, that skin almost identically is being sold by Riot.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ds/Champs7.png

Sykah

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykaeus View Post
*Snip*
I've tried all of that step by step multiple times and I just tried again with a different skin to no avail. Could it be that I'm downloading it incorrectly? I'm using Winrar, which popped up when I tried to open the HeroPak_Client. Could that be the problem?

You've probably noticed that I'm not very tech savvy so I apologise if there's something I'm just not seeing. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

SomniumProxy

05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykah View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a little help with installing custom skins. I've tried following the guide in general to no avail. This is the skin I'm attempting to use. The name of the file that downloads is FallenAngel, which is the name of the normal Morgana skin. I've tried ranaming that file FallenAngel.dds and Blood_Angel.dds (also BloodAngel.dds). None of these have worked.

Here is a screenshot of the file/file location at this point in time. The bar reads: C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Characters\FallenAngel.

If there is anything that I've looked over/something I'm doing wrong, any help would be very much appreciated!
This should work with FallenAngel.dds. I don't have any morgana skins, but i have a ton of other custom skins. Try just with FallenAngel.

Try with a different morgana skin from leaguecraft, just to check out if maybe there's something wrong with the skin.

Also download 7z and use that, it's the best archive program, if you edit things it's preferable to use 7z and not winrar/zip

colloquial

Emissary of the League

05-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykah View Post
I've tried all of that step by step multiple times and I just tried again with a different skin to no avail. Could it be that I'm downloading it incorrectly? I'm using Winrar, which popped up when I tried to open the HeroPak_Client. Could that be the problem?

You've probably noticed that I'm not very tech savvy so I apologise if there's something I'm just not seeing. Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Winrar should work just fine. And if you're already doing everything that Lykaeus is saying then I really cannot think of a reason why this wouldn't work.

Sometimes if you use other types of mods they will make custom skins not work. For example for a while i was using a mod to change your recommended items, but it made custom skins not work, and even broke a few of the Riot sold skins. Its possible that using something like this is the problem.

If thats not it then I really don't know. Its possible you are doing some small thing wrong that we just don't know about. Do any of the other skins you have tried downloading work?