Need advice on items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zodiacshape

05-23-2010

I have played a ton of practice games until I hit level 11 where the exp and ip stopped. I went into normal games(2 so far, both wins). I see a lot of people going attack speed items and just own me but when I try it, it never works out like I wanted :/.

Most of the time boot-wise I either go ninja tabi, mercury treads or sorceror boots and then go for attack speed, attack damage, ability power or health items. Anyone know the best item types to go for? for example attack speed, attack damage, ability power, +health; for tanks, dps and mages.

I like to play a variety of champions but most of the time I end up playing melee champions.

DayInTheSun

05-23-2010

Different champions have varying builds, even if you play a specific type of champion like melee dps.

For example, Jax pretty much needs to rush Guinsoo's and ninja tabi then load up on survivability/damage items. Garen likes items that help him chase like Youmuu's and Frozen Mallet.

roninsm

05-23-2010

Yea very champion dependent. The only one that really benefits from AS stacking is twisted fate, but even that's questionable. Give me a specific champion and I can probably help with an item build though.

Zodiacshape

05-23-2010

Well I really enjoy nearly all of them but I like to play the most appealing ones like Nidalee, Evelynn, Akali, Kayle, Ezreal, Morgana, etc etc >.<. I just wanted a general idea to start out with and if I should stack attack speed like everyone else yet I don't do as good stacking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsm View Post
Yea very champion dependent. The only one that really benefits from AS stacking is twisted fate, but even that's questionable. Give me a specific champion and I can probably help with an item build though.

Achenar

05-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacshape View Post
Well I really enjoy nearly all of them but I like to play the most appealing ones like Nidalee, Evelynn, Akali, Kayle, Ezreal, Morgana, etc etc >.<. I just wanted a general idea to start out with and if I should stack attack speed like everyone else yet I don't do as good stacking it.
Attack Speed has a cap of 2.5 - if you are buying AS items, make sure you're not going past that cap because you'll be wasting gold.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/ has a bunch of guides for pretty much every champion - most of them are designed for people who are level 30 and have full rune/mastery sets, but checking that site is a great way to get an idea of the kinds items you should be pushing for.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacshape View Post
I have played a ton of practice games until I hit level 11 where the exp and ip stopped. I went into normal games(2 so far, both wins). I see a lot of people going attack speed items and just own me but when I try it, it never works out like I wanted :/.

Most of the time boot-wise I either go ninja tabi, mercury treads or sorceror boots and then go for attack speed, attack damage, ability power or health items. Anyone know the best item types to go for? for example attack speed, attack damage, ability power, +health; for tanks, dps and mages.

I like to play a variety of champions but most of the time I end up playing melee champions.
So here's some quick hit thoughts:

Attack speed is only useful if you can hit your target (ie: if they're not getting away). It's great for tower-pushers, for heroes with a snare/stun or exhaust, etc... but usually attack *damage* and crit are more common (fyi - you can't crit a tower) as they're more useful for the back and forth harassment. Very rarely do you ever see two heroes slug it out in a vacuum till one or the other dies.

Mage stuff -> Catalyst is an AMAZING first item. On some mages I buy sapphire + 2 health pots first, on others I buy meki pendant (for tome later), but after basic boots Catalyst is usually my first combine. If you can get it by level 6 or 7 it is amazing because every time you level up it heals you bonus hp/mana, making you much more durable midgame. Mejals is good as a snowball item if you're getting ahead.

Melee stuff -> Brutalizer (into Ghostblade) is very good rigth now. Always remember to get MR, usually melee are at the mercy of ranged abilities and far too few people buy MR - merc treads, maybe even a negatron cloak if you're getting pounded.

DayInTheSun

05-23-2010

You've named some pretty interesting champions in that group. I can see why you're having trouble itemizing them.

Nidalee, Akali, Kayle and to an extent Ezreal are hybrid-ish type of characters that are really hard to itemize completely one way because there are a lot of different ways to play them. Your best bet is to read some guides at leaguecraft.com or search up some guides in the guide section and test different playstyles to see which one is right for you. For example, a lot of people like making Kayle into a support type of character and stacking AP using items like rod of ages and Mejai's Soulstealer, but there are other Kayle builds focusing on getting Nashor's Tooth and Guinsoo's rageblade to turn her into a DPS/AP-ish damage dealer.

Edit: By the way, most champions are terrible with simply attack speed. What's going to hurt more, a fly swatter gently slapping you 2.5 times a second or a sledgehammer whacking you 1.1 times a second? You want to make your damage as burst-oriented as possible because smart players won't stand within your auto attack range for long. Most physical carries like Ashe or Tristana need AD items first, then attack speed.

Zodiacshape

05-23-2010

That is only some of my favorites but if I had to say one it would probably be Nidalee but I don't really like the cougar thing, I prefer the spear and traps XD. I wish some of my other favorites had skins so I could change it up a bit like Nidalee, Akali, Evelynn and Katarina XD.

I simply love Ezreal, he is very easy to play and his ultimate is extremely awesome. I also bought both the collector's and champion bundles along with a couple of the newer ones.

*Please Riot make more skins for champions without them XD.....and bring us Nidalee's french maid skin >.<.

roninsm

05-23-2010

Cougar form is what makes nidalee strong. You should be using it a lot to gank, but knowing how and when to switch between the 2 forms is what separates the good from the bad with nidalee.

That said, the only one of those I know how to play reasonably well is Kat, so I'll leave the others for someone else to explain.

For Kat, there are 2 routes you can go, AD and damage. I prefer AP. Start with a doran's shield (because doran's shield is awesome) and get Sorcerer's boots ASAP. Then your next item is a Rylai's Crystal Scepter, followed by Void Staff, and then just stack AP items (haunting guise is ok, Zonya's is good, etc).

With a large amount of AP, your shunpo and ult will both do great damage, and your ult is harder to get away from because of the slow from Rylai's.

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: For damage kat, get sorcerer's shoes again, but then stack BF swords until your inventory is full, then upgrade them into bloodthirsters when you run out of room.

DayInTheSun

05-23-2010

Quote:
I simply love Ezreal, he is very easy to play and his ultimate is extremely awesome.
Uh oh, all of those Ezreal players who think they are highly superior in skill level in comparison to everyone else because they play a skill shot champion are going to want to have a word with you soon.