Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Mundo Builds as He Pleases (Twisted Treeline)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FuYA

05-23-2010

First off if you havent tried playing Twisted Treeline, do so. Its alot faster, team fights start at lvl 1, and I find them overall more enjoyable than Summoner Rift Queues, but thats my opinion, I know alot of people that prefer the 5v5 format. This Guide doesnt really apply to 5v5 and its geared a bit more to solo Queueing so if you dont like TT you can pretty much skip reading it but ill try to make it at least something worth discussing.

Updated as of Season 1

Starting with Runes

There are alot of things that work here. But my favorite so far is:

Marks
Armor Pen or Attack speed

Seals
Health /Lvl (or Dodge, Dodge also pretty good against DPS)

Glyphs
Flat Cooldown Reduction

Quints
Flat Health

OK this is my reasoning for these.
Marks
After the changes to Cleaver you now pretty much want to level Masochism at lvl 1 for maximum carnage and just hope somebody else can pull off the slow or stun needed for that last hit. This makes Armor pen that much better. Also makes Attack speed that much better. Right now I am running a single crit chance Mark for kicks but eventually I will want to TEST 9 Crit runes to see if I notice any changes.

Seals

You want an extra boost of health later on, these give you about the amount of 1 Ruby. Its not much. But they beat out the Flat Version at lvl 5. Most people will Take Dodge chance here and thats good too. I just wanted as much health as possible. But yeah Dodge runes if you like them go ahead. Just remember Dodge is good against DPS while Health is good against Casters. Build as Mundo demands.

Glyphs
These I really really really recommend. Why, cause with this the Offense lvl 2 mastery and Spirit Visage. You can lower your Ulti down to 47 seconds from 60 and you can Activate Masochism and have it on always since it Lasts 5 seconds and all this will lower the Cooldown to 5.54, basically you will only not have it active for 0.54 seconds ever which means you have a free 100 damage ALL THE TIME.

Quints
I like the Flat Health Cause you pretty much get a free 100 HP at the beggining of the match. I cant argue with that. The only other ones i could see Mundo Using are Movement speed to get that extra tick of movement for that last hit, or more CDR for even less time between Ulti's and Masochism.

Masteries

There are 3 Builds that i have tried that seem to be better than anything else, and would be alot more dependant on what Champs they pick. Since we are Blind picking for the moment i will always choose build 1. later i hope to try builds 2 and 3 alot more often.

Build 1 The KillYuIntehFace Build 21/9/0 My favorite Build
Offense

Deadliness 3/3
Cripple 1/1 (Exhaust is awesome might aswell get it to lower Res, If running smite you can switch or put a point in both)
Sorcery 4/4
Alacrity 4/4
Archaic Knowledge 1/1
Sunder 3/3
Brute Force 3/3
Lethality 1/3 (I Alternate points from Lethality and Brute force but i think Brute Force is a tiny bit better)
Havoc 1/1

Defense
Resistance 2/3 (sometimes ill go 3/3 1/3 and sometimes 1/3 3/3 and hardly notice the difference so 2 points)
Hardiness 2/3
Evasion 4/4
Nimbleness 1/1

Pretty much as much AS, Armor and Magic Pierce, Crit Chance and damage your gonna get from any build. All Around Good. And if you do dodge some attacks you get the short speed boost, which is why i wouldnt mind getting Dodge runes for Yellow. Archaic Knowledge is great for Cleavers and Burning Agony. And Havoc adds just 1% more than the other dudes defense if he has it. You always want Deadliness, that 2% Crit is gonna replace his base crit soon.

Build 2 The Beefy Tank But i can still smack you 9/21/0 Not my favorite build

Offense
Deadliness 3/3
Cripple 1/1
Sorcery 4/4 ( Or you can Put the 4 points in Alacrity to get extra 6% attackspeed total at lvl 1 and 8% at lvl 18)
Archaic Knowledge 1/1 ( if you get the 4 Points in Alacrity thne this is not available so just put a point in sunder.)

Defense
Resistance 3/3
Hardiness 3/3
Evasion 4/4
Nimbleness 1/1
Harden SKin 1/3
Willpower 1/1 ( Only if your running Cleanse, but you will probably need it if your "tanking&quot
Veteran scars 4/4
Ardor 3/3
Tenacity 1/1

Pretty much as much defense as your gonna get. Its not that good, to run mundo as a Tank but he can be very effective since he doesnt need damage items to do alot of damage. The real reason to even want to run this build is to get the CDR on Cleanse. So might as well take cleanse if your doing this build.

Build 3 Lizard is Mine B!@TC#E$ and ill take those other 2 buffs aswell 11/9/10 My second Favorite build

Offense
Deadliness 2/3
Plentiful Bounty 1/1 If your gonna use smite to get Lizard faster might aswell take it.
Cripple 1/1 (You might not have a slot left for exhaust but hopefully you do.
Sorcery 4/4
Alacrity 3/4 ( you could also put these 3 points in Resistance and Hardiness but i like my 3% attackspeed)

Defense
Resistance 2/3
Hardiness 2/3
Evasion 4/4
Nimbleness 1/1

Utility
Perseverance 3/3
Haste 1/1 (If your not taking Ghost or teleport just put 1 point in Good hands)
Awareness 4/4
Utility Mastery 2/2

This is the build you will use when you are gonna be taking every single buff on the map while rocking Smite. You dont even need smite since your cleave will do about the same amount of damage on hitting first but it will ensure Last Hits on Lizard which is vital to controlling that particular Buff. Now the thing about this is id rather our Range hero (Janna... So OP) to be the Buff master. Or Warwick. But MUNDO Takes Lizard as he pleases. In This Build you are giving up Archaic Knowledge but you probably wont even need it. Ever since the change to Resistances the 15% Penetration is not that good anymore and The extra Attackspeed is better.

Summoner Spells (if You read this section before Total Revamp)

Blind Pick:
This used to be
Exhaust + Flash or Cleanse
Now its just always
Exhaust + Flash every single time

Cleanse Used to Clear that 1 spell that annoyed the heck out of me, Ignite. Since it doesnt now you just Flash away let it clear THEN use Ulti. Ghost can serve a Similar purpose if used correctly, but while we can Flash over walls to escape/gank might aswell.

Ok so with that out of the way, on to Drafting. Once people have selected everything you will know how many stuns they have. and this will give you your selections.

So with that said Spells that Mundo can use really well:

Exhaust
Cleanse
Ghost
Flash
Ignite
Heal
Smite

Exhaust is good against everybody to either stop a DPS for a few seconds and get a few Hard Hits in, Helps you chase to get the last hit or Cleaver in and some extra Burning Agony damage AND Also helps you run away if needed. This is Mundo's Best Spell cause it has the Most Versatility. Remember that Early Advantage and Keeping it is what counts and Exhaust goes a long way to shutting down 1 entire champ early game.

Cleanse pretty much gets rid of stuns. Saves your Butt or allows your Ulti to get in for full Healing. But your W covers this pretty good too. So its up to you if they will have a Sion or Morgana, Ryze on their team or if your gonna need that Flash to get over a wall or close the gap faster.

Ghost Does the same thing that exhaust does in the Chase and Escape departments but better. But i prefer exhaust over this since it stops DPS hits when you have to hold somebody down until your team can get there.

Flash pretty much covered already, but it is just so good to leap over walls. Helps Gank, Chase, Escape and Even BackDoor. Gets you out of Damage range while ignited if used correctly too. remember that this can be used to jump over walls just like a Shaco, Ez and Shen would.

Ignite is pretty much only used to help kill people. You can use it as a counter to opposing Mundos though. But if your playing Mundo how are they playing Mundo?? But this also counters healers, that arent even used much on TT. Just consider this option if you see a Taric or Soraka or Nid.

Heal is good because of Spirit Visage healing increase but is probably one of the least useful spells you can consider taking with Mundo. It can give you a second breath of life but if your playing correctly you shouldn't need it. However it does help against Ignite, how it should be used is wait till ignite wears off and Then Hit D/F. It will counter it completely, you just need to know what your doing.

Smite this is almost necessary if you are the dedicated lizard man. And if your team is taking dragon early and its planned ahead that you will be the one controlling the jungle. The thing is that You Don't NEED this, to do this job. But sometimes you will have to steal that lizard from an opposing Shaco or Warwick and this is the best way to pull it off other than sniping it with Cleaver or running in like a mad man with Burning Agony activated. This Pick is Entirely based on your Premades choices and if you think you can get away with one less summoner spell. lately I've been running Exhaust + Smite pretty effectively. This lets me put one less point in Lethality, which makes me happy.

If you are not Using your picks to counter anything, may I recommend Using Exhaust and Flash. Imagine Chasing a Shaco right over a wall. It's heavenly.

All right That took a while Now down to the match itself, Abilities and the Items you will buy.

At the Very beginning of the Match you have to decided how aggressive your gonna be. TT is all about controlling the Early game and smashing face before they can stabalize. If they have 2-3 Tanks you and your team will probably need to focus the squishiest and get out before you lose a teammate or die yourself. So you will want Dorans Shield and 1 Pot since you will probably just net 1 kill or 1 assist. Either way you will want Masochism first and hope Your Armor penetration gets you through those tank armors.

However If you see 2 or even 3 Squishies on a team you will go for Red Elixir and 4-5 Pots. And you Get Masochism first to hit that much harder. Cleaver used to be lvl 1 Ability of choice but its just not that good anymore.

Once you have decided your first item, you are ready to go.

Abilty Build
You will pretty much always go

E
Q
E
W
E
R
E
W
E
W
R
W
W
Q
Q
R
Q
Q

I will only ever level Q on par with W when Playing against teams with no CC. And even then having early Consistent Damage helps Farming alot faster and youd be surprised how much damage you can do to somebody just standing next to them while you kill somebody else, so W is still better than Q. So 1 Level of Q and start level W as of lvl 4. Which gives you 100 AoE Magic damage per sec as of lvl 13.

ITEMS

Doran's Shield + 1 pot or Red Elixir + 4-5Pots As describe above

Basic Boots
(You want to upgrade into Merc treads against CC And Caster of all kinds, Ninja Tabi versus DPS, and Swiftness versus teams that are just not that good so you want to be able to chase and kill and get to places faster to end games quicker (Also let you Kite just like ashe would). But usually Merc or Tabi, since they are the best boots.

Spirit Visage (Turns your Ulti into an UUUUULLLLLTTTTIIIII. And Lowers your masochism CD which is important if you want to have it on all the time) If your wondering about the Nerf. At 2000 Health it Used to heal you for an extra 250 now its an extra 200. Not a huge nerf.

Zeal
( you need this to attack faster, and move faster. Very very important to Mundo). Since Masochism increases Mundo's Damage, Extra Attack speed increases his DPS more than extra Damage. Also a pretty decent speed boost before you upgrade your boots.

If at this point the Game isnt Over, Which it can be if your team communicates well enough, You can start looking at more Item choices.
Items to kill better
Phage into Mallet (if you need to slow runners almost always since people are always running from MUNDO. And extra health hurts nobody) Basically if you dont have another Kiter.

Phantom dancer (is Meh but if you need MOAR Dodge or are simply rolling face at this point might aswell get something that works) Jax doesn't like it when you dodge his attacks. Nor does Xin.

Trinity Force (Its actually a great Item, and wasting a tiny bit of money on Mana is not a big deal)

Starks (if your team has a Jax, TF, WW, Ashe etc... You can offer to be the one to get it if you haven't already won by the time its needed. It also gives you alot of AS and some Life steal that doesn't hurt)

Infinity Edge ( You have enough AS you say. Get some decent Damage and Crits.)

Against DPS
Aegis is an excellent choice, since now teams are starting to diversify away from 3x DPS.

Sunfire Cape (Weeeelll. You don't neeeeed it. But it does serve a purpose. There are however items like Warders mail that do a better job and even upgrades. Thorn mail is also better if what you Want is armor. HOWEVER, if you HAVE to tank and its gotten to the point were that Jax is doing lots of Damage you might NEED this to stay alive long enough)

Warders Mail into Omen (agaist DPS fast hitters can save your life and will give you a really strong late game item aswell) This has turned into ZOMG awesome recently. Basically if your team gets 1 or 2 of these your team fights should always be in your favor. Also if you are planning to build this get Heart of Gold (Ninja Turtle Shell) Early. The longer you hold it the more it pays for itself. This also lowers Cooldowns, so why not.

Against Casters
Force of Nature ( If the Enemy team is mostly Magic Damage this is not a bad option. And the Move speed is great. If its a single spell that is getting at you however might aswell just get Banshees Veil)

Banshee's Veil (If thier team consists of 3 stuns and 2 other fear, silence etc and cleanse is not cutting it and you dont want to get Quicksilver Sash get this It works.)

Do NOT Get:

Warmogs IT SUCKS!!!! Ok Maybe it doesnt Suck but its inefficient. It doesnt help your team. And you will be killed by the Warwick or Shaco with Madreds BloodRazor. It takes a long time to get good and by the time you get there the game should have been over.

Also Armor is better. If thier team doesnt have a Bloodrazor by the time warmogs is useful they are probably dead already or You gimped your early game enough that you are probably losing and gave them the Idea they even needed that bloodrazor in the first place. Armor covers you alot better than all that extra health will. And if Armor is not cutting it due to casters you need Magic Res which you should already have alot of from Spirit Visage and Merc treads.

There are so many options to go with depending on what the other team is doing. You will usually already have a good idea what you need from seeing how their team is playing. Mundo really just builds as he pleases and his late game options change a lot. the big difference is that a team with Mundo that is a great pusher, Great chaser, and deals so much early damage will usually end the game a lot faster than with other teams

Some tips on Mundos Abilities during any TT match.

Throw your Cleaver into Bushes. Through walls. Into thin air if playing against Stealthies. Throw it because its fun. Throw it because it costs you nothing. Throw it because it does damage.

Cleaver

Throwing that cleaver looks easy. And it probably is the least skill intesive skill shot in the game. Huge Range, and really large hitbox and its Slow makes it real good. And yet if you miss 1 to many you lose a kill, you die, you lose the game. Great thing to do with it is chuck it right across the wall at dragon to see if its being attacked. It will attack you back and reveal the area for a second. Same with all the ranged jungle creeps. You have to aim for were the small ranged ones will be and they will attack you and reveal the area like a little personal clairvoyance. Also you can use it to steal lizard like a champ. Also Throwing cleaver into the dark when a Champ is getting away and smacking them for a critical slow is when you know you've got the skillz down and you can now rock Mundo whenever you please.

Burning Agony.

Use it during fights. Use it To shorten CC's just like Merc Treads would. Use it to kill Minions fast. Use it to Jungle. Use it to kill minions while your focusing a Tower (best use that alot of people ignore). Use it to deal 100 damage a second to anything around you Simple as that. If they have slows dont turn it off while running unless you think they are out of CC mana etc or you can get out of range before thier cooldown is up.

Masochism

Just keep it on. Its your Damage ability. Imagine its a passive that you have to tap every 6 seconds to keep funcional. Also Remember that this makes you a super aggresive Beast early on. With crits you can sometimes hit for 300 early. Use this to your advantage. KILL KILL KILL. Cleaver to the head then Smack them. Rinse and repeat.

Sadism

Every 47.47 if you did my build you have this. So just use it when ever your low. And use it in every single fight possible. If they are running ignite try to get them to ignite you. Flash out or run out. Wait till it drops a bit and then R for maximum health. If they are not Running ignite, this spell runs for a total 12 seconds so just pop it after you jump in for the first hit. 12 seconds have passed and you only need to wait 35 seconds for next use. With green buff on the cooldown is ridiculously low. Also it will keep you alive when smacking down dragon early on.

Tips for play.

Mundo can take out a tower fast and early. After level 6 he can actually Tank one pretty well with some help. Well and dragon too.

Again throw your cleaver everywhere. Just chuck it at everything.

Dont be afraid to smack people With masochism. You will be surprised how fast their health goes down when you are actually using your melee smacks on them. Alot of casters THINK they can get away with just using a Tome to get 20 extra AP and be at 450 - 550 life early. Guess what you can 4 SHot them to death with masochism lvl1 and one good Cleaver hit.

Burning agony doesn't just do damage it lowers the time of all CC on you. FREE Merc treads. But yeah it also does damage. Just remember it costs health to use. So dont start leveling it until you have enough health to handle having it on for at least 10 seconds straight.

Sadism doesn't just heal you it also make Mundo run real fast. Use it to chase and escape as needed. Its a "free" ghost + HoT.

BUFFS - These tips apply to alot of other champs as well so you should read them

Lizard - Unlike SR It Gives Gold + XP to everybody on your team. Get it early and often. You can solo Lizard at lvl 4 with out much trouble at all. Juat make sure you keep the area warded. DONT just attack lizard in the middle of the jungle. Pull him with cleaver to one of the edges that is best for you to get away just in case especially if you dont have your Ulti lvled yet. If done Correctly you can attack lizard while standing far away enough from the middle on the top right and left corners that enemy teams have walked in there placed wards and walked out with out seeing me taking the last few hits on lizard. Sometimes they double back and try to chase but its ussually too late for that.

Green Buff - Get this one every single time its up. It gives your Ulti a 36 second CD, after the 12 seconds are up you just have to wait 24 more seconds to use it again. How awesome is that. If done correctly you can attack this buff while standing inside the bush were nobody can see you and you can see if somebody is coming for you from both top and bottom and give you enough time to get out.

Gray Buff- Makes you run fast. However Id rather have the slower mages with CC that dont have a Free ghost get it. If nobody else on your team wants it, might aswell get it yourself. This dude is ranged and there is no way i have found yet to get both him and me into the bush but at least you can stand in bush and melee him with no problems.

Dragon- Gold XP for all your team AND lvl Based %Dmg Buff. Get it every single time its up. Steal it Fight for it and Most importantly Ward it. Also you can solo dragon as of lvl 6 but its scary since your life will be real low and you can easly get ganked or sniped. But if your brave smack him Cleaver, Masochism a hit Tap your R and go on from there. Also keep throwing that cleaver on him dont forget that part. Dragon has no Magic Resist so it will deal full damage. Also note that you can Melee attack dragon farther away than your Burning Agony can reach, but when you do have burning agony it will lower dragon a lot faster so what you do is walk past dragon until you are standing just underneath it and then throw your cleaver and active burning agony. If your scared of Getting ganked and dont have flash to jump over the wall you can smack the dragon with cleaver and actually pull him out just a but to were you can attack him from the edge of the entrance.

There is ONLY Early Game

Yeah pretty much. On TT there ARE 3 phases to playing consisting of First team fight, a short lane period that last like a micro second while you take control of the jungle, and then more team fights as you push. And then its all over but Destroying thier nexus.

All of this happens really fast and what your doing the whole time is the same thing, you are just smashing face. Hitting E a lot Throwing Cleavers everywhere. You Do not change what your doing. You are never alone. You will always be present. You are always taking buffs and clearing lanes at the same time that your in the bushes with your team ready to gank somebodies head off. Be aware of this. The map is so Small that you are expected to be everywhere at all times. And your Ulti will help you do this.

Well thats pretty much it for mundo. He is really good in TT if done right. He only ever really needs "other than boots" Spirit Visage and Zeal. Alot of times you will have won the game already before you really have to buy anything else. But if it does go on longer you have alot of options to choose from. Just Build as you please.

And of course its just fun to chuck those cleavers around everywhere.

2Dark4U

05-23-2010

Mundo!!!!

EchoRex

05-23-2010

You might want to consider replacing the Warmog's choice with Aegis of the Legion. It gives better survivability to not just yourself, but your team for the gold:mitigation/hp you are spending. Warmog's in general is very inefficient due to the high cost on top of the need to farm for awhile to get it to even the mediocre point.

But, for TT matches, after you get that Stark's or Phantom Dancer rolling, you can really build whatever, the game isn't going to last much longer.

Nice build, nice layout, and good reasoning on the length of games and importance of "early" game playstyle.

2Dark4U

05-23-2010

yeah Warmogs sucks I dont really get it unless i really really need it. And you are right Aegis is better.

FuYA

05-23-2010

Yeah i agree Warmog is a bad Item so I made it a little more clear what i think about it.

FuYA

05-23-2010

I guess nobody likes my Guide Sadface

mycoxflopn

05-24-2010

this was actually quite an interesting build, I haven't gotten to try it yet but I definitely will when I get the chance thank you very much, (I actually forgot that burning agony did tick damage XD if you could get it to hit 100 damage a second that'd be insane...

Krald

05-24-2010

stopped reading at magic pen marks

Raionh

Recruiter

05-24-2010

^this

correct me if i'm wrong but:

Dr. Mundo hurls his cleaver, dealing damage equal to 15 / 18 / 21 / 23 / 25% of the target's current health (80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 damage minimum) and slowing them by 40% for 2 seconds.

No MPen involved

EcoEco

Recruiter

05-24-2010

I got a question for you then

At level 1, it should deal 80 damage right?

Why did it dealt 79 damage? I've seen that before. Don't tell me 15% of their health is 79 and its greater than 80.

Actually I'll go see for myself right now

Maybe it was a bug or something.

Edit: I just tested it

Cleaver IS affected by Magic Resist, so penetration is perfectly viable. Plus the description says its magical damage too.

At minions at level 1, I was dealing 80 80 80 80 until their MR increased to 2. I dealt 79 79 79 78 78.

A bunch of leveling, I wanted to keep Cleaver at 1 but accidentally leveled it to 2. So its suppose to deal 130 damage minimum.

I brought the Magic Penetration boots and tested it before and after. Before I was dealing 125 at the Mages Minions, and after I was dealing the full 130 damage.

Cleaver is definitely affected by magic resist and penetration.