THE ROAD TO RANKED - - - Choosing Champions - - -

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

05-04-2012

Well summer is almost here, and I'll be trying my hand at Ranked after finals. One of the things I'm worried about is my repertoire of champs.

These are the champs I'm currently planning to "main and train" for Ranked (all owned).

Ashe - Ranged, Carry
Sivir - Ranged, Carry, Pusher
Leona - Tank, Melee
Jax - Fighter, Melee
Karthus - Mage, Ranged
------removed---------Kayle - Fighter, Support
Lulu - Support, Ranged
Twisted Fate - Assassin, Pusher, Ranged
Ahri - Assassin, Mage, Ranged

(5/5/12)
Amumu - Tank, Melee
Shyvana - Fighter, Melee
Soraka - Support, Ranged

6 bans (3 per team) are currently allowed in a draft. A player must have at least 16 champs (owned + free) to participate.

If 6 of my current main champs were to get banned, and 3 more taken by my allies, then that would make me play a champ I haven't practiced with much.

If I add at least 3 more champs to my "main and train" group, I won't have to worry about not running a champ that I haven't practiced with.

EDIT (5/5/12): Need 1 more now

I'm considering adding Shyvana to the mix.

Could I get some veteran ranked players to come up with suggestions on champs and roles to put in?

If any of you could share your insight and experience with bans, champ selection, and/or the trends you see in team composition, that would be much appreciated.

Something Snazzy

05-04-2012

None of your champions are banned regularly.

I would add another support. You don't have a strong healer support, which is nice against champs that poke hard, like Kog.

I would also add a couple more junglers and counter pick tops. If you have a very AD heavy or squishy comp, you'll want a jungler like Amumu. Basically, you want to be able to jungle or top with either with AP/AD, squishy/tanky, based on each team comp. Jax sorta fits all 8 of those roles (jungle/top, squishy/tanky, AD/AP) but not any singular one well.

Last, I would try to grab some of the flavors of the week. While Shaco, WW, Kass, Shen, etc are regularly banned, they are banned for a reason. There are never enough bans and it is always nice to make a team pay for not banning WW, for example.

*Edit* Your mids are fine I believe. Most champions that counter Karth get screwed by Ahri. However, think about buying Annie. She is fairly simple to learn, super cheap when it comes to IP and always a decent champ. If you want more variety or want to trade with other people, grabbing simple to learn, low IP, solid champions like Annie is a good way to go.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2012

a few safe easy champs...udyr, soraka, ryze, and olaf. udyr, ryze, and olaf can all top, udyr and olaf can jungle, soraka is a safe and easy support and can also be a counter pick mid..counters morg fairly well. ryze is simple yet very effective mid as well.

lirm

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Well summer is almost here, and I'll be trying my hand at Ranked after finals. One of the things I'm worried about is my repertoire of champs.

These are the champs I'm currently planning to "main and train" for Ranked (all owned).

Ashe - Ranged, Carry
Leona - support
Jax - Fighter, Melee
Karthus - Mage, Ranged
Kayle - useless
Lulu - Support, Ranged
Twisted Fate - never used

^Fixed.

Buy and learn Janna and Soraka for supports, Graves for a carry, Morganna for a mid and three viable tops and junglers (althought I gueeeessss you could put Kayle in the jungle.

My picks would be;

Jungle - Hecarim, Rammus, Shaco, Udyr, Lee Sin, Mumu

Top - Udyr, Lee Sin and (insert good top champs here)

Then you'd have a good selection to choose from.

Etherimp

05-04-2012

Ashe and Sivir are both good bottom lane; but you'll only want to pick Ashe if you have a team that can properly peel enemies off of you (And thereby protect you).. IE - Champs like Alistar, Rammus, Udyr, etc. You may want to pick up Caitlyn, as she's a fairly safe pick unless the enemy team picks Sivir.. If they pick Sivir, you Pick Ashe and team up with an Alistar.. If they pick anyone else, you pick Caitlyn and you're more or less on even ground.

Another option would be Tristana, seeing that she's free you should definitely pick her up. If they pick Corki, you pick Tristana, and watch how they cancel each other out. (He has a gap closer and escape, you do too.. Some AD carrys can't handle that.) Tristana is another fairly safe pick.

As far as Support Goes, Lulu is a bit like Janna, and Leona is a bit like Alistar/Taric.. Pick up Nunu, Alistar, and Soraka. Soraka and Nunu are cheap and Alistar is free. All 3 are great supports, and Nunu and Alistar can both Jungle. Alistar is the most disruptive of the three and he's a great tank later in the game.

For mid, definitely pick up Annie. She's cheap, she's (almost) never banned, and she's a solid pick. Morgana is also a great pick but she's often banned. If you want to do some counter-picking, grab Mordekaiser.. Although a little more expensive, he is a solid counter to Morgana mid, so if your team does NOT ban Morgana for some reason and they pick Morgana, you can counter with Morde and Huehuehue your way to victory.

For Solo-top.. Garen is relatively cheap, and effective against a lot of solo-tops.. He CAN be easily countered by certain champs, however. Consider Chogath, Singed, and Gangplank for solo-top and Junglers. Riven, Rumble, and Irelia are also all strong on solo-top but they are all more expensive than Cho, Singed, and GP. Udyr is also a very good pick for Jungle/Top. Warwick is another who is cheap and effective, although his solo-top is a lot scarier now days than his jungle, he can do either.

For tanks, grab Rammus and Amumu. Both are cheap and both can be game breaking if played right.. Also they fill the 2 roles which many teams seem to neglect - Jungler and Tank.

Devious Rogue

05-04-2012

It rarely happens that way. You'll lose maybe 2 of your champs to bans and picks on average. You've got enough for ranked. Just go in and have fun. Also, use Phoenix Karthus as often as you can. Endless entertainment.

Azellos

05-05-2012

You seem to be lacking in the top/jungle department. I'd reccomend Lee sin, Riven, Shyvana, and Udyr seeing as they do both well. There are plenty of other choices (Olaf for example), but those 4 are all strong tanky dps champs that do fairly well in the jungle.

acosn

05-05-2012

Quote:

Ashe - Ranged, Carry
Leona - Tank, Melee
Jax - Fighter, Melee
Karthus - Mage, Ranged
Kayle - Fighter, Support
Lulu - Support, Ranged
Twisted Fate - Assassin, Pusher, Ranged

6 bans (3 per team) are currently allowed in a draft. A player must have at least 16 champs (owned + free) to participate.

If 6 of my current main champs were to get banned, and 3 more taken by my allies, then that would make me play a champ I haven't practiced with much.

If I add at least 3 more champs to my "main and train" group, I won't have to worry about not running a champ that I haven't practiced with.

I'm considering adding Shyvana to the mix.

Could I get some veteran ranked players to come up with suggestions on champs and roles to put in?

If any of you could share your insight and experience with bans, champ selection, and/or the trends you see in team composition, that would be much appreciated.
The only frequent bans on your list are Karthus and Ahri.

And they're not banned that frequently.

Leona's the weakest tank at the moment- statistically no tank loses more often than her. Not saying you couldn't make her work, but as far as tanks are concerned she brings the least to the table and has the least viable lanes. As-is there's much better tanks for the support role on bot, and aren't 3/4ths AOE, or barring that can at least jungle.

You'll want at least one AD carry for bot that is oriented toward early game- Miss Fortune and Caitlynn both come to mind.

You'll want a soak oriented AP caster for mid- Swain comes to mind, but Morganna and Ryze both work. Morg's kinda ban bait though.

You'll want one aggressive solo top (Riven, Renekton, ect) and one sustain oriented solo top (Irelia, Warwick). You can also have a farmer character (Tryndamere, Nasus) but they're not necessary.

You'll also want a jungle. That's purely up to you. It's my weakest role so I can't comment on it.

Kayle isn't a bad character, but she's spent so much time being outside the meta that you get stupid amounts of heel dragging over picking her. I've literally had teams be more hostile to me picking Kayle, than to me picking Evelynn post-nerf.

JohnnyOmega

05-05-2012

Okay for tanks I'm going to add Amumu for jungling and use Leona if an ally is already jungling. If we're lacking slightly in offensive power, I'll go with Amumu or an off-tank fighter.

I'll add Shyvana as another planned jungler.

I'll get Soraka since her global heal can be very useful against certain team comps. An enemy team with Karthus comes to mind.

I'm taking out Kayle for now since she doesn't seem to be in the best place atm (in general) after reading up some more.

Hmm want at least one more.

Etherimp

05-05-2012

Quote:
Okay for tanks I'm going to add Amumu for jungling and use Leona if an ally is already jungling. If we're lacking slightly in offensive power, I'll go with Amumu or an off-tank fighter.

I'll add Shyvana as another planned jungler.

I'll get Soraka since her global heal can be very useful against certain team comps. An enemy team with Karthus comes to mind.

I'm taking out Kayle for now since she doesn't seem to be in the best place atm (in general) after reading up some more.

Hmm want at least one more.
Get Annie and Ryze. They're both 450 and are strong AP champs. There's no reason not to pick them up.

Get Nunu, he's also 450 and can Support or Jungle.

Also get the free Tristana by subscribing to the League of Legends Facebook page.

Also get the free Alistar by subscribing to their Youtube channel.

Amumu is not a good "off-tank fighter" aka "bruiser".. His place is as a jungling tank.

Get Cho'gath. He's cheap (1350) and he can Jungle or Solo-top and he can pass as a tank or an offtank if you decide to build more AP oriented.