Direct Patch Download?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uszi

09-15-2009

I was wondering if there are any plans at all to make the patch available to download like... off the website or file planet or something.

The launcher downloads the patch ULTRA slowly for me.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7...adrate****.png

It kinda reminds me of the WoW installer. Something about Florida State University's dormnet didn't like the WoW installer, so when I played I generally just looked for a patch download, as opposed to waiting hours for the patch to download via the installer.

Tried disabling the peer-2-peer portion of it, but then it just doesn't download at all.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to patch it quickly or if I'll have to spend whole days patch the game whenever a new update comes out. Thanks.

EDIT: It's doing some strange things too... I wound up reinstalling IE8 and restarting my comp. After restart, I started the download again and I got like 1500 kbs, shot up to 47%, and then it immediately died back down to 0-3 kbs. I've tried resetting all the IE advanced options, and a couple of other fixes I read online.

EDITEDIT: Its also not that my connection is pure ****. Just to make that clear, I've definitely double checked that---my connection is fine.

EDITEDITEDIT: Tried turning off firewall. No help.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

09-15-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Is it possible your school is blocking IP's?

The port that needs to be open for the patcher to work is 2099, would that be blocked for any reason?

BB-256

Uszi

09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Perring View Post
Is it possible your school is blocking IP's?

The port that needs to be open for the patcher to work is 2099, would that be blocked for any reason?

BB-256
Thanks for the reply.

I called the technical support people. Basically the school has a bunch of automatic anti-bittorrent type blockers that disable incoming torrent type down loads and drops a ban-hammer on people uploading things via a torrent.

Like I said, WoW did this too, and the guy I talked to at the technical support explained that the system sort-of shuts them down when it comes across them.

So basically, when I got back from class a few minutes ago, the download had frozen at 0 kbs at 47%. I closed the installer, opened it again, got an insane 1800 kbs for a little while, the thing shot up to 89% right away, and then shut down again.

If I disable peer-to-peer, and restart, I can get some download rates.... I don't know, its weird. I just finished the patch getting 400 kbs. Earlier I was getting 10.

I mean, yeah. I'm confused. That's why I asked if there isn't anywhere that I can just download a patch file instead of using the installer. Or if there are any plans to implement that kind of patching?

Pacifius

09-15-2009

That would be amazing if there was a manual patch. I can't even get to the downloader yet. Then again, there's no guarantee my game would magically start running even if it were updated.