Which is the easiest/hardest team role to play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

me omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2011

Tank? Carry? Jungler? Support? Which is the easiest or hardest to play? As a noob, it seems like support is the easiest mainly because I don't need to know when it's a good idea to initiate. Knowing when to initiate seems to take a lot of knowledge of specific champs and the game in general that I just don't have yet.

Thoughts?

p00ningnewbz

09-03-2011

Easiest... Babysitting. Sit in a bush, heal, maybe an auto attack.

Hardest... When I do solo queue an my elo, tanking. Mostly because my team ends up doing nothing and I die.

Etherimp

09-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00ningnewbz View Post
Easiest... Babysitting. Sit in a bush, heal, maybe an auto attack.

Hardest... When I do solo queue an my elo, tanking. Mostly because my team ends up doing nothing and I die.
For me, it's AD carry. If you do not have a meatshield infront of you and someone disrupting the enemy team, it's impossible to get a kill and you get murdered fast. If someone else feeds their lane, you get murdered fast. Basically, you need to win your lane and hope to hell you come out more fed than anyone on the opposing team.. Because if even one person comes out more fed than you, odds are they will focus you first and melt you quick.

AP carry can at least CC/escape/harass and nuke people down if they get too close, as long as they are not TOO underfed.

Support is probably the easiest but also the least influential in winning.

Tanky DPS is easy, AND has a huge impact on who wins. They can deal damage, and take it.. so if someone initiates on you, you can go toe to toe with people assuming you are farmed at all; and you can usually get the kill or at least make them run away.

Tanks are probably the single most "important" aspect...so hard in that sense because there's a lot of pressure riding on your decisions.

You're amumu and you initiate at the wrong time/place and your team wipes.. You have successfully lost all the respect of your team and they will no longer trust your initiation. They will also probably flame you.

You're alister and you accidentally knock an enemy through a wall and your team loses the kill... Same thing.

Basically: Easiest with least pressure and most reward? Tanky DPS in my experience.

me omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2011

Wow, thanks Etherimp. That was very informative. Looks like I need to master Tanky DPS next, and save AD carry and tank for the last things I learn.

Jarrod

09-03-2011

Tank is the hardest role and it is underappreciated, sometimes you have to really peel people hard off your carries and it's not as easy as some think. If you manage to do well you will not recieve any credit because your carries will be getting the majority of the kills which means they carried the entire team without any help according to most players.

Oh I forgot to add, if your team starts to lose though you WILL take the majority of the blame unless there is a hard feeder.

In 5's ranked Tank is even harder. You call the shots along with your AD carry, IMO it's the tanks job to call the fights and the AD carries job to position the team.

Wynden127

09-03-2011

In order from Easiest to Hardest in my opinion:
1. Babysitting/ AD Carry
Babysitting requires you to make sure your team stays alive, and your carries are almost always getting the kill, the only exception being when the enemy's about to get away- when everyone's trying to get the kill. They keep the carries topped up in HP, and that's most of their job. Afterwards, I feel that when they start shining as a Support, their job becomes a lot harder. No last hitting, no gaming for kills. Just sit around and heal up your teammates.
Risk: Low Reward: Low
i.e. Soraka, Janna, Sona, Alistar

AD Carries are pretty easy to play. A person brand new to the game could probably play the role. Their DPS requires them to sit around and positioning + last hitting is their priority, which everyone else is worrying about just as much. As many people say, AD Carries are normally a "Right Click and Win", stereotypically. They are also one of the only roles in the game almost encouraged to play as selfishly as possible, running away in a losing teamfight, and 'securing' kills in absolutely every fight. With a good AD Carry, it's good; with a bad AD Carry, it's absolutely horrid. They're never around for a fight, and end up only coming for the kills. If you're against a 'good' team, they'll probably try to focus you.
Risk: Low/Medium Reward: High
i.e. Vayne, Ashe, Caitlyn. Master Yi

2. Tanky DPS
As the person above has said, you're tanky and you deal damage. Most tanky DPS also have a gap closer as well, meaning they can also initiate and gap close all the time for kills. Most of the time, this is an offset of AD Carries too, so it makes sense.
Risk: Low/Medium Reward: Medium/High
i.e. Xin Zhao, Olaf, Jax

3. AP Caster
AP Carries normally have an easier time in my opinion as well, because they normally use their spells in the first few seconds, and then have to wait up for their next combos. They are almost exclusively given the blue buff as the game goes on, which is normally well deserved. They should have a decent amount of kills as well, because of their burst taking down any champion out of position.
Risk: Medium Reward: High
i.e. Annie, Brand, Orianna

4. Support
When it comes down to it, support is actually a HUGE role. They are not allowed nearly any farm, and they are pretty much exclusively responsible for warding the lanes. They almost always need gp10 items, build aura items, and from what I can see, they almost never have any damage output, but add so much to survivability that without these guys, most teamfights end a lot faster. For example, a good Janna or Soraka ult can completely restart a teamfight for your team. Really team-reliant, and with a bad team, it doesn't matter. Some blame will also go to you when pretty much anyone dies within your HALF of the map, unless you're Soraka. Then it's the entire map. :P
Risk: Medium Reward: High
Read babysit for examples.

5. Jungler
Jungling's something I've never been good at, but it seems to me that their main job is to get through their paths fast, hold lanes when someone is going back, and warding just as much as the support. With jungling, you have another solo lane and a roamer, and when played well, makes the enemy very aware of the danger of constant ganks. Also, when a jungler fails in his ganks, he can be incredibly underlevelled, meaning he's an easy target in a lot of games.
Risk: High Reward: Medium
i.e. Lee Sin, Amumu, Tryndamere

6. Tank
Absolutely the hardest role in my opinion, but definitely one of my favourite. These guys almost never have a definite core build, and it changes with pretty much every game. They soak up the damage, meaning they are supposed to be the biggest target. However, they need to build up enough of a threat to make sure that they aren't ignored. For instance, Alistar's bunch of CC or Amumu's % damage AoE. They need a definitive balance between threat and defense. At the same time, they need to be omnipresent, at every teamfight, and to make sure everything's wasted on them. You WILL die over and over again, so you have to make sure that they're worthwhile deaths, such as making sure that your carries get out, or you're sure that your team will get a worthwhile kill, such as the enemy carry. They have one of the worst K/D ratios, and as Jarrod said, you take pretty much all the blame. Because of my love of this role, I always place Assists above Kills. =)
Risk: Extremely High Reward: Extremely Low
i.e. Shen, Amumu, Rammus

In order from most satisfying when played well,
Tank
Jungler
Support
AD/AP Carries

In order to most influential to win a match,
AD Carry
AP Carry
Tank
Support
*Jungler gives you an extra solo lane, so it's actually one that can vary quite a bit. The 2v1 lane can be dangerous, but the fact you will probably have 2 level 6's by the time they have 1 is very important

In order of most underrated roles,
Tank
Support/Jungler
*I'm not even going to put the carries here. They're NEVER underrated.

Please note that all this is my opinion, and I probably have a bias with tanks.

Etherimp

09-03-2011

If you want to become a great player..learn to play every class really well. Tanks, Anti Carrys (Akali, Poppy, etc), and AD carrys are probably the 3 highest Risk/Reward.

UbberTengen

09-14-2011

The same as wyden, and support are really underappreciated.
I have ended matches with 3-1-35 and they dont even say a **** about janna, is always about the carry ToT

rekkless

09-14-2011

jungling tanks

MeditationError

09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Basically: Easiest with least pressure and most reward? Tanky DPS in my experience.
Totally agree, especially the Tanky anti-carry. Identify the highest damage target (usually but not always the carry), and then as soon as a teamfight starts, go and kill them.

Outside of teamfights farm up and/or kill people who are away from their team.

Garen and Poppy are the super-stars of this function, and Olaf and Trundle are awesome too. I'm sure there's another dozen or so that I'm forgetting