Tank Gear With a Tank Champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ironfungus

05-21-2010

(Hope this is in the right forum...)

So I really like playing Kayle, as I've come to find out. Hardly anyone I've seen plays her and I wanted to play a tank character. However, I seem to like to play her as a support/AP type. Does this neglect the "Tank" side of Kayle? Should I instead stack her with Tank gear if I want to play her to her maximum potential?

...Or, can I play her as a Support/AP Tank due to her natural ... ... Tankness?

EchoRex

05-21-2010

Kayle isn't really a tank.

She can be forced into the role if need be with her good survivability and slowing capabilities, but she is not suited to that kind of playstyle.

Kayle is a phenomenal support champion with her Heal/Movespeed ability and her ultimate. Kayle's nuke, Reckoning, is strong if you go with the AP/CooldownReduction route. Not to mention her ranged auto attack buff ability scales well with AP.

Here's a fairly basic build that you can modify based upon your needs that works rather well with Kayle:

Meki Pendant + 2 Health Pot
Fiendish Codex
Boots of Speed
Phage
Mercury Treads
Stinger
Nashor's Tooth
Frozen Mallet
Banshee's Veil
Aegis of the Legion
Atma's Impaler

Ironfungus

05-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7 View Post
Kayle isn't really a tank.

She can be forced into the role if need be with her good survivability and slowing capabilities, but she is not suited to that kind of playstyle.

Then why is she listed as a tank? Also stat wise, she has more armor at Level 18 than most Tanks. Like even more so than Rammus and Shen.

I prefer characters that don't die very easily. That's always been my game no matter what game I play. I like survivability. I'm just trying to pick a Champion to play with my group of friends.

Crazymtgplayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-21-2010

@Ironfungus
If you never want to die take mordekaiser and get 2x sunfires 1x merc treads 1x force of nature and you'll be golden.

Ignite+ult will win team fights if you manage to pull your ghost out!

Ironfungus

05-21-2010

Well I want to have survivability, but I don't want it to be without skill, if that's what you're getting at. Also, I don't really like playing Champions that EVERYONE and their dog plays (not really suggesting this is Mordekaiser, just saying).

Steel Stiletto

05-22-2010

She is listed as a tank because that is a viable option for her. She can initiate and draw some big fire then ult right before she would die, leaving the enemy down their nukes when the rest of your team drops in. But, as you've found, she does tend to perform better in a support role, and given her skills, she survives and escapes ganks rather well.

Ironfungus

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Stiletto View Post
And given her skills, she survives and escapes ganks rather well.
Heh, I've noticed that. So I guess you could call her an Off-Tank Support, then?

Steel Stiletto

05-22-2010

That wouldn't be a bad assessment.

Hakairyu

05-22-2010

In general, when playing Kayle, you will want to save your ultimate for a squishy on your side who has large damage output. For example, Fiddlesticks.

A good team will usually focus fire Kayle first to force her to ult herself, then they will ignore her. If you build her tanky, then you're taking advantage of that.

Ironfungus

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakairyu View Post
In general, when playing Kayle, you will want to save your ultimate for a squishy on your side who has large damage output. For example, Fiddlesticks.

A good team will usually focus fire Kayle first to force her to ult herself, then they will ignore her. If you build her tanky, then you're taking advantage of that.
So then you're saying Off-Tank / Support is the way to go?

I'm just kind of torn. My friends don't play Tank characters, and I'm wondering if it was vital for a good balanced team to have.