What are champions doing when they're not fighting in the League of Legends?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silverling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babagahnoosh View Post
Just to be clear - that's Ezreal's interpretation of the League. He's new, and the story is mainly from his perspective. He's not omniscient... at least as far as the League is concerned.

I'll try and clear that up in future revisions!
Ooooo that makes sense. But does that still leave the question on if "the champion knows/made acquaintance to the summoner" open? Just curious...
Like, I can understand if a champion is summoned from another world that they wouldn't know any summoners, though if they stay near the league there would be a chance of meeting their summoner yes?

Delthanin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2010

An LoL RPG would be pretty sweet. Just throwing that out there. Lots of room to really show off the lore and the background stories.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

05-24-2010

that's... awesome looking forward to the continuation

also: "Oh you tease *handflap*"

thundercraker

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthanin View Post
An LoL RPG would be pretty sweet. Just throwing that out there. Lots of room to really show off the lore and the background stories.
Hear hear. This man speaks truth.

Xetvenen

05-24-2010

Quote:
Believe it or not, I know this answer. In fact, there are a few of us here at Riot do know the answer to this. That means that there many other at Riot that don't know the answer. Rather than be a DB and say "I know and I won't tell, ha ha," I'll tell you the reason why I won't give you a straight answer.

This question - and a handful of others I've heard on the forums that we've either given ambiguous answers to or just completely dodged - fall into a category known as a "bible point". Bible points (others call them by differing names) are key story points that define help the rules of an intellectual property. Bible points are basically unexposed spoilers. They are rules that seem mysterious and often times contradictory to the rules of the world. There shouldn't be two of the same person in a single battle arena, should they? It doesn't make sense that it happens... but it does.

To outright spill the beans on something like this sells short potential story development we are basing on this bible point. Yes - we have some story development in store that specifically addresses this issue. It may or may not answer the question when it fully plays out. (Spoiler - part of it involved a forthcoming champion.) Still, we recognize that this is a key bible point and we want to do something substantially creative with it.

I'll try and do you one better... Over the weekend (I'm trying to get home right now but I can't tear myself away from this thread~) I'll try to spin you a little ditty that somewhat deals with this issue. I've wanted to do something on this creatively for some time now, outside of what we have planned. There always seems to be a priority that comes up that tears me away from fun writing. I'm going to keep it under 1000 words if I can, provided nothing blows up on me this weekend!

Sound good?

I would have been happy with a simple "it's magic!"...but good answer regardless

Gawdd

05-24-2010

Quote:
Just to follow up on this - I got the nut of a story going this weekend. As it almost always turns out, I have ended up writing more words than I projected and I'm still not done. So, there's a story... in progress. I'm pretty excited by this, actually - I've been inundated with other kinds of work as of late that it's been a while since I got to make a short story.

Here's the beginning of it. It's not been copy edited. It's pretty raw, but it's been inspired by the great questions you guys are asking.

-------------------------------------------

Blinding white light.

Dizziness. Nausea. Vertigo.

Ezreal clenched his stomach. He couldn’t help but be hunched over from the pain. Being summoned wasn’t a new experience for him, but it had never happened with this amount of accompanying anguish. Something had to be wrong. He took a step forward; his leg buckled slightly, but he nonetheless remained upright.

“Easy now,” the slightly raspy voiced called out to Ezreal. “It looks like you were doubled.”

“Doubled?”

“Yes. You most likely were pinged by an opposing summoner in addition to your own. That or you have the worst case of summoning sickness I’ve seen in years.”

While the colloquial terminology threw him for a slight loop, Ezreal thought he was starting to understand his current predicament. This wasn’t the first time he had been summoned into a Field of Justice to fight for one of the countless, faceless summoners who made up the League of Legends. This was the first time, however, that a summoner from both sides chose him to be their presence within the same battle arena. The raspy voice continued. “It was painful my first time too. Actually, it’s always painful. You never get used to it.” The raspy-voiced man extended out an intricately tattooed hand. “I’m Ryze. It looks like we’ll be working together here in the Twisted Treeline.”

Ezreal’s stomach had stopped doing flips inside him long enough to reciprocate Ryze’s courtesy. “Thanks. I’m Ezreal. This is our first arena on the same side, I think.”

“Indeed. While I wish we had more time to get to know each other, we’re needed. Now. Get yourself together. The minions will be emerging soon.”

Ezreal knew he had to get ready, but his curiosity could not be contained. “What exactly does it mean to be doubled?”

Ryze clearly wanted to be heading out from the summoning platform at this point. “It means that you’re also on the other team. We need to go.”

“I’m on the other team?” Ezreal took one last grasp at rational thought before giving in to maddening logic. “I don’t understand. I can’t be in two places at once.”

“Yes, you can. I think you know that, too.” Ryze turned to face Ezreal as he backed down the platform and headed to the northern lane. “You’re a bright kid, even if you did luck into being a champion. Nice glove, by the way.”

Ezreal glanced at his prized gauntlet, but otherwise didn’t acknowledge the back-handed compliment. “I understand what you’re saying, but it doesn’t make any sense. Does their team have a doppelganger?”

Ryze paused. “In a manner of speaking: yes. The most important thing right now is for you to defeat their doppelganger. I’ll share with you what I know – after this battle. Let’s go, already!” With that, Ryze turned on his heels and quickly proceeded down the lane.

Ezreal couldn’t argue with that; the most important thing now for him was to aid his summoner. Ezreal followed quickly behind Ryze, staring intently ahead. He became a League champion to make a difference; learning the secrets of summoning was secondary, at least for now. Worrying about the minutia of summoning wouldn’t help him win or lose this battle. There would be time to figure everything out later.
You should definitely make this into a full length novel, series etc, I think it'd be an amazing story, the whole scoop on the league that is. Just a thought

Brodin

05-25-2010

+1 for incorporating Summoning Sickness

Sc00t3r

05-25-2010

1. This is an epic thread, and I loved the story so far... can't wait to read the rest of it (I hope there is more)

2. This kinda made me want to be able to read a LoL Novel... and/or write a fanfic novel.

Habuza

05-25-2010

MOAR LORE!

Seriously BabaG, good story.

noobfluff

05-25-2010

I want more lore please. MORE LORE. Babagahnoosh for president!

EDIT:

WRITE MORE O_O!!!!!!!!!

F it i'm writing fanfic. Now.