Mac Client Beta Test Closing on September 6

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tamat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Live Services

Follow RiotTamat on Twitter

09-02-2011
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Over the past 13 months we have been working with another company on a Mac version of LoL. We have been silent because both companies have been exploring every possible avenue to ensure the Mac version is up to Riot standards. So far we have been unable to ensure a consistent quality bar across platforms. At the heart of the issue is our rapid update cycle, where we make regular balance changes and content updates. We currently develop on the PC, but since the plan was for the Mac to share servers, we believed that a Mac version that was frequently unavailable was not up to Riot standards. For that reason we have severely limited the number of participants in Mac testing.

We are regretfully going to shut down the Mac Beta client indefinitely starting 12:00 AM PT on September 6, 2011. We realize our current approach regarding the Mac platform won't guarantee the quality and frequent updates we deliver today on the PC and are expected by our player community. We will continue to investigate the opportunity to provide player access on the Mac Platform in the future that aligns with our service and content update standards. We are committed to building a solution that will work on the Mac in the long run, but it will take some time. Additionally, testers that have utilized the League of Legends store during the Beta can either continue playing the PC version of the game, or receive a full refund on RP purchases made (which would close out the account). Details of the refund program will be communicated to these players via email. As a result of this situation, Riot would like to give all active participants in the Mac beta a code that unlocks the Champions Pack, as a token of appreciation for the time they have dedicated to helping us evaluate the Mac client and our sincere apology for not being able to have the testing work out as originally planned. To qualify for the reward, you must have a majority of your logins come from the Mac client, and you must login to the Mac client and click on the Store button between Friday, September 2 and Tuesday, September 6. Rewards will be added to the accounts of verified testers by the end of September.

marley420

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

So, this basically means that the working client that I have right now, will no longer after september 6? I'm only asking this, because I guess not only me, but all the community here has put so many efforts on this game and dedicated so many time that would not like to simply abandon the game or stop playing.

I feel happy that you step up and was 100% transparent on this issue, althought that this means that you are shutting down the development of the client. Any chances that we can still use our fan-made client on the same servers as the PC gamers? We will not expect any support, but I guess that I can speak for almost everyone in here, that if possible, even without support, continue to play on our Macs.

I'm very passionate for lol, in a way that I have never been for any game and would not like to stop playing. Even with the announcement of a strong competitor that I will not name, that commited to release the game for Macs, I really enjoy playing LoL and don't have plans to change that.

Thanks for your sincerity.

Ediwir

Wrenchman

09-02-2011

so now it's changing from "we are not talking to you" to "we are simply deleting you"?

Marcian Tobay

09-02-2011

A regrettable situation with a noble handling.

Frobooter

09-02-2011

Do we have to be an "official" tester to get a refund? I don't have a PC option to switch to so I'm going to be out $$$ unless I can get a refund.

Edit:

On Sep. 2nd when I first heard of the death of the Mac version, I sent in a refund request to player support. A couple days later I got this response:

Quote:
"Greetings,
I would like to thank you for contacting the League of Legends Customer Support. Thank you for your dedication to League of Legends. We will be submitting you a email shortly regarding refund procedures of your purchases. Once again, thank you for contacting me. I hope I was able to assist you sufficiently in resolving your issue. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me, it will be a pleasure of mine to assist you."

From this info and the other posts (all one of them!@) on the forum this will probably mean that anyone who has 50% of their logins on a Mac should receive an e-mail in the next week or so with refund details. Surely anything longer than that wouldn't qualify as "shortly..."

If I get the e-mail or hear anything new I'll update this post:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1206168

NomNomNomCakkes

09-02-2011

Tamat....WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? I play on a Mac right now...and as the second post says...can I still play? Or will I be just shut off from patches and ETC?

Frobooter

09-02-2011

My guess is Dominion is coming out on the 6th and whatever else is in that patch will break the Mac client permanently.. So they are forced to deal with us before hand.

Farfeeeee

09-02-2011

this is really disappointing, i'd rather have my client than a refund. I just wanna hear for once where the actual problem is without just keeping the client running without support like it has been.

Cidolfus Bunansa

09-02-2011

Will this prevent anyone from using their own method, like possibly Wine?

Cidolfus Bunansa

09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfeeeee View Post
this is really disappointing, i'd rather have my client than a refund. I just wanna hear for once where the actual problem is without just keeping the client running without support like it has been.
AFAIK, the current Mac Client is just a commercial version of a Windows emulator(Very alike Wine), and it's distributed with the install. Wine has had issues with LoL and how it works for a while now, since it uses many methods that are deeply Windows only, causing issues that probably are arising in the Mac Client too.