Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Here's the thing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thisdude1

09-02-2011

Quote:
RealMithron:
Well, I understand why it didn't come out this Tuesday. This Tuesday was not a regular patch day, and next Tuesday is. Next Tuesday is definitely "immediately after PAX" in my books so I'm not mad at all.

They were nice enough to give us an ETA, apply common sense and know that things rarely ever go as scheduled and planned. Expect disappointment, be prepared for excitement. Not that hard.

this is a good post describes how some of us are feeling without constant QQing

Riot Zaps

Oceanic
NOC Technician

09-02-2011

Quote:
Jozrael:

If you're unhappy because 'soon' is turning out to be longer than you thought it was, how much unhappier would you be if we'd given a hard date and passed it? We go past internal release dates all the time because we don't want to create negative player experiences.

Soon is honestly about as close as we can get, because of what I mentioned above - when we start getting specific, we start being able to break expectations we've explicitly set.

The problem is, you're always going to break people's expectation with a date like "soon". People will make assumptions with something that has so many meanings.

Basically, to avoid dissapointing people with a date, saying something like "soon" just guarantees that there's varying levels of dissapointment and frustration.

A date like "September" would be great. Or even saying, "We hope to get it out by September, but the expected date is sometime this quarter/year".

It's frustrating to be logging on each day to check if the thing you're waiting for is launched, because you have absolutely no context of when to expect it. If I had a properly given expectation, I'd not have that furstration.

Honestly, my frustration is with "soon/shortly" more than anything. If anything, avoid saying that like the plague. If you do, one of a few things will get into many people's heads:
  • Sweet! The next few days / this week! I'm really hyped for this! - dissapointment when soon actually means in the next few months or some other time context.
  • Oh, they said "soon" last time, they're probably not going to release this - dissapointment right away.

Ricje

09-02-2011

Quote:
Makzin:
ETA = Estimated time to arrival.

Shortly after PAX = very vague estimate

Quote:
1. In a short time; soon.

Short time is not "in 9 days" but rather in hours or a couple of days max so shortly was misused

Lvl100Pidgeot

09-02-2011

People started freaking out the second PAX was over. I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, "soon" is no faster than several weeks when it comes to video game content release.

Varis

09-02-2011

Quote:
evrynameistkn:
My counter to the soon argument is why announce it at all if its not actually that close to being ready. I understand this notion that Riot is excited to have this new feature, but to say soon is to imply that it is pretty much ready when in fact, it clearly wasn't. By your standards it might be almost ready but a month out does not qualify as soon for most of the player base. Saying after an event also implys that it will be almost immediately after it which it does not appear Riot was ready to do, so why give that as an estimate. Maybe the Dominion announcement should have been held off until it was ready to be released with in 2-3 weeks.

Are you serious? In video games, things are announced long before they are ready all the time. They announced an entirely new game type, and we're getting it in what looks to be just a little over a month. Compare to magma chamber, which was just a map, which we knew about for months before we heard it was shelved. Or, for a more hyperbolic example, the time between just Starcraft 2's "final stretch" and the start of the beta, much less the time between announcement and completion.

30-40 days isn't so bad.

edit:
Quote:
Short time is not "in 9 days" but rather in hours or a couple of days max so shortly was misused

Short time/soon is pretty relative, actually. What it means to you is not what it means to the person making the statement.
Relative to time, something over a week might not seem very soon to some, sure.
Relative to game content, "in the next patch/scheduled downtime" is very, very soon.

RAWISWAR

09-02-2011

Quote:
Jozrael:
But...these estimates change.

If you're unhappy because 'soon' is turning out to be longer than you thought it was, how much unhappier would you be if we'd given a hard date and passed it? We go past internal release dates all the time because we don't want to create negative player experiences.

Soon is honestly about as close as we can get, because of what I mentioned above - when we start getting specific, we start being able to break expectations we've explicitly set.

"You're mad cos I cut off your arm? At least I didn't cut off your head" - defending a fail by saying at least you didn't commit a greater fail. What?

Internal release dates are different from upcoming product announcement releases - that's why they are two distinct and separate things - which means trying to draw a connection between them is meaningless.

If the product isn't realistically ready to be shipped "soon", then there shouldn't be an announcement to that effect.

If you try to weasel out of it by saying "we said soon because we didn't want to commit then go back on it", then the announcement was premature.

TL;DR - Dominion annoucement was either unrealistically premature or Riot is playing the semantic sleight-of-hand card and failing.

Varis

09-02-2011

Quote:
RAWISWAR:
"You're mad cos I cut off your arm? At least I didn't cut off your head" - defending a fail by saying at least you didn't commit a greater fail. What?

Internal release dates are different from upcoming product announcement releases - that's why they are two distinct and separate things - which means trying to draw a connection between them is meaningless.

If the product isn't realistically ready to be shipped "soon", then there shouldn't be an announcement to that effect.

If you try to weasel out of it by saying "we said soon because we didn't want to commit then go back on it", then the announcement was premature.

TL;DR - Dominion annoucement was either unrealistically premature or Riot is playing the semantic sleight-of-hand card and failing.

It's really more like they said they'd cut off a body part, and you assumed you would be decapitated, then became incredibly disappointed when they cut off an arm instead, but I get what you're trying to say.

abzoul

Recruiter

09-02-2011

i would rather some thing be right then have it and it be broken!!

case how many games do you have a afk or a lagg out or something like that it makes playing it hard and unfun so do it right the first time

i mean what good is haveing it if they are going to shut the servers down every other day to fix bugs then u have nothing

Ricje

09-02-2011

Quote:
Cloud Varis:

Short time/soon is pretty relative, actually. What it means to you is not what it means to the person making the statement.

Because the person making the statement is taking it out of context.

Quote:

Relative to game content, "in the next patch/scheduled downtime" is very, very soon.

Where other game companies come up with release dates, RIOT points and laughs while saying "soon" even after having tested it for months and having it out for others to play during major events.

And ofcourse also the fact that they seem to have played a game of dominion on the EUW server.

exe3

09-02-2011

Confused over the ops post. Is there a red post somewhere that says Dominion won't be released with next weeks patch?

At least they don't pretend like it doesn't exist ala Project Shiny or won't tell us if it was shelved ala Magma Chamber.