Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Ping pingpingpingping

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SamuraiPanda

Senior Member

06-01-2010

Quote:
jaywatford:
Hey guys,

These are all great suggestions to this issue. We've been considering different solutions and we'll be sure to take these all into consideration.

Right now, we are thinking we'd like to give you the ability to mute pings from specific users that you are playing with. This would insure that you can mute spammers without sacrificing the pings utility when another player on your team is attempting to use the feature correctly.

How would you guys feel about this solution?


Wouldn't really be a solution. As someone already pointed out, you don't always know who is pinging, and something that would take time in the middle of the game won't be very popular at all.

Not only that, but spammers sometimes ping well, and not being able to hear pings because you muted them could put you at a disadvantage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

06-01-2010

Very interesting ideas and arguments guys.

Quote:
Corran:
The problem with that is that you can't tell who it is if they don't ping something that shows up as a message. I'd rather a time delay between pings. The most I ever need is to be able to do the 3 pings from one lane to another in a short amount of time. Anything more than 3 pings is unnecessary.


Would this be three pings per person, or three pings all together?

Would it solve the problem for you guys if each ping identified the pinger, or is there a reason you wouldn't want this?


Quote:
SamuraiPanda:
Not only that, but spammers sometimes ping well, and not being able to hear pings because you muted them could put you at a disadvantage.


Interesting situation, you mean someone who is not pinging to grief but for gameplay purposes, but still pings too much for your tastes? In this situation would you prefer Corran's solution which limits the amount of pings that can be heard in a certain time interval?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.
06-01-2010

I often use pings to indicate direction, meaning multiple pings in a short time period are necessary.

I'll make quickly make a line of pings , say down the river in SR to the bottom lane from the middle, by pinging 3-4 pings from the middle lane to bottom in a line.

That way bottom lane gets the message and direction of oncoming enemies while I don't have to leave myself vulnerable and type "2 inc from mid, bot"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corran

Recruiter

06-01-2010

Quote:
jaywatford:
Very interesting ideas and arguments guys.



Would this be three pings per person, or three pings all together?

Would it solve the problem for you guys if each ping identified the pinger, or is there a reason you wouldn't want this?

Interesting situation, you mean someone who is not pinging to grief but for gameplay purposes, but still pings too much for your tastes? In this situation would you prefer Corran's solution which limits the amount of pings that can be heard in a certain time interval?


I'd say 3 pings per person w/in a time limit, say every 3-5 seconds? This way they can't spam too much, but the wait time isn't too long.

As for identifying pinger, that'd be nice, assuming there was a quick and easy way to identify the pinger w/o leaving your champ idle and vulnerable for too long.

Some people do ping for gameplay reasons, but too much. Like ping spamming on a tower being attacked, even though no one can get to it. Usually a ping or two is enough for the tower (and should be limited as such).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sakurazaki

Recruiter

06-03-2010

Quote:
Jazzminkey:
I often use pings to indicate direction, meaning multiple pings in a short time period are necessary.

I'll make quickly make a line of pings , say down the river in SR to the bottom lane from the middle, by pinging 3-4 pings from the middle lane to bottom in a line.

That way bottom lane gets the message and direction of oncoming enemies while I don't have to leave myself vulnerable and type "2 inc from mid, bot"


In that situation, perhaps a limit on only the ping sound, while still indicating each ping you make on the minimap, would be a viable solution. That way, someone can easily see by glancing that you've indicated (for example) a line down river, while only hearing the ping sound once or twice.

The problem is the sound, not the indicators on the minimap. Limiting only the sound shouldn't be too big of a problem. And for those who think it is, perhaps make it an option to limit the amount of ping sounds you hear. That way, if you're playing with a full arranged team, and you use pinging often to coordinate, you can leave all ping sounds intact if that is what you desire. But if you're playing a solo game, and happen to get paired with someone who can't lay off that g key, you can limit the sounds and play in (relative) peace.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schnippel

Senior Member

06-12-2010

Jaywatford you are officially my favourite mod, it is great to see you reply to almost every single thread here haha.

And out of all these, the best suggestion i saw was lowering the volume after each ping.
Maybe increase the sound of the first ping from where it is now to 125%, then to the default (100%), then around 70%, 50% 25% and mute.
and it would be put on a 10 sec cooldown if the person got down below 25% (down on mute that is.)

After getting his ping muted for 10 sec i doubt the spammer wants to ping again. The true measure of a man is how he handles his ping option, and loosing it for 10 sec is enough to make a grown man cry.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corran

Recruiter

06-14-2010

Quote:
Sakurazaki:
In that situation, perhaps a limit on only the ping sound, while still indicating each ping you make on the minimap, would be a viable solution. That way, someone can easily see by glancing that you've indicated (for example) a line down river, while only hearing the ping sound once or twice.

The problem is the sound, not the indicators on the minimap. Limiting only the sound shouldn't be too big of a problem. And for those who think it is, perhaps make it an option to limit the amount of ping sounds you hear. That way, if you're playing with a full arranged team, and you use pinging often to coordinate, you can leave all ping sounds intact if that is what you desire. But if you're playing a solo game, and happen to get paired with someone who can't lay off that g key, you can limit the sounds and play in (relative) peace.


That's generally true, but I've seen the map fill with pings. It's just as annoying.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sakurazaki

Recruiter

06-15-2010

Quote:
Corran:
That's generally true, but I've seen the map fill with pings. It's just as annoying.


That generally only happens when somebody is purposefully trying to be annoying while pinging nonstop, and for players like that, the option to completely ignore their pings would be beneficial. However, as mentioned, if somebody is trying to mark a direction with a quick succession of pings, limiting only the amount of times the ping sound is heard would be a good fix. That combined with the suggestion of muting pings outright when used in excess should solve most of the major problems with ping spammers.

The idea of being able to configure both ping sound and visual frequency separately is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how simple that would be to program.


12