[HowTo] Play Sivir in her current state [8/31/11]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diagas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2011

NOTE: This is how I personally play Sivir. I'm sure everyone has their own ways, which is cool! I'm just here to try to give some other players my own personal guidance.

SIVIR, THE BATTLE MISTRESS

Attachment 261111

I will try to make this as painless as possible! I don't think you're ready for this jelly.

SUMMONER SKILLS

Flash and Teleport, hands down.

Why Flash?

The way League of Legends is set up now, Flash is the only Summoner ability that allows you to flash over walls to escape certain death, or to close the gab to ensure a kill. There are way too many potential clutch-moments to pass up Flash. Until Riot decides to nerf Flash, or change it in some way, I'd consider it a must-have for any squishy champion.

Why Teleport?

Later on in the game, Sivir is going to be pushing lanes. So you could be pushing top, while your team is setting up for a team fight in mid. You'll probably attract the attention of one or two enemies, who are heading top to kill you... so that means you can teleport middle, and initiate a 5v4 fight! There's nothing better than teleporting in and popping On The Hunt to initiate a team fight.

Other scenarios include split-pushing, saving a tower, assisting during lane phase... the possibilities are endless. Sivir needs this Summoner skill to have map presence.

MASTERIES

Attachment 261109

I go for 21/0/9, simply because Sivir is all about the damage. Your main goal is to be stacking high Attack Damage so our Boomerang Blade has some umf to it.

I skip Archaic Knowledge because Sivir's main damage is going to come from her auto-attacks and Ricochet. That one point is better spent in maxxing out Offensive Mastery for early-game lane domination.

RUNES

Attachment 261110

My main goal here is to have Sivir be A) a bit more beefy early game, B) able to have a big chunk of +damage for early-game Boomerang bombs and lane pushing and C) the mana regeneration runes are there so we don't have to build any mana regeneration items.

Here's my official list of runes:

Greater Quintessence of Strength x3

Greater Mark of Strength x9

Greater Seal of Resillience x4
Greater Seal of Strength x3
Greater Seal of Clarity x2

Greater Glyph of Clarity x5
Greater Glyph of Warding x4

Why no armor penetration? Because it's all about the lane pushing. You'll see in a few with my item build, that the early game damage stacking is pretty crucial. We'll get a Sword of Divinity later on to make sure we pack-the-punch against those heavy-armor types, don'tcha worry.

BASIC ITEM BUILD

Attachment 261108

TRIPLE DORAN'S BLADES is pretty awesome on Sivir. It's going to boost her HP, damage, and that lifesteal will stack with her imminent Bloodthirsters as well.

I like to personally start with a Doran's Blade, and then start saving up 1475 gold for my first trip back. If the lane is too demanding, or I just get impatient, I'll just save up for 825 gold, which is enough for a second Doran's Blade and Boots of Speed.

Your main goal is to have three Doran's Blade and Boots of Swiftness asap, because then after that, you're in for the long haul. You'll be saving up for two Bloodthirsters, which will be your core damage.

After the Bloodthirsters, you'll be saving up a Sword of the Divine and selling one of your Doran's Blades. Sword of the Divine is great with this build, because we didn't get Armor Penetration marks. Tankys probably won't be taking too much damage from us, so we'll need to proc this in conjunction with our ultimate during team fights.

I then immediately build a Phage and sell a second Doran's Blade, and save up to turn it into Frozen Mallet, which will help pin-down your team's main target in team fights. My final item is Banshee's Veil, so in later team fights, that stacked with Spell Shield, you'll be safe from two CC-potential spells.

Something not listed in the main build, but is extremely crucial early-game, especially when you're pushing lanes, are WARDS. They're CHEAP. I try to at least buy 1-2 wards after buying my core-items, and place them to keep myself protected. If you're constantly pushing lanes and towers, you're going to get the enemy's attention. So PROTECT YOSELF BEFO YO WRECK YOSELF, FOO.

STRATEGIES

Sivir shines best in solomid. It's true. She was meant to be middle, and to push that tower within 10 minutes. My build THRIVES on the fact that you can push the lane really early. Your main goal is to push-push-push, and keep constant map awareness of the enemy jungler. If you have a support with clairvoyance, you'll have a bit of an advantage, but even then, it's not difficult to tell when their jungler is around.

She's actually pretty decent in duo lane as well. I find her paired with a tanky person, or with a support, she'll shine. Skill order priority changes a bit, that's why I've held off on mentioning it so far in my guide.

NEVER take solo top. Let someone else take it. Let your Singed, Akali, Irelia, Katarina.. whoever you got, let them have it. It's way too dangerous with this strategy, and you should be last hitting up there. Either take solo mid, or lane bottom.

SOLOMID SIVIR:

Your priority on skills:
On The Hunt > Ricochet > Boomerang Blade > Spell Shield

You'll want to aim for Level 3 Ricochet by level 5, with 1 point in Boomerang Blade and 1 point in Spell Shield.

You're going to be constantly pushing. Try to last hit, by all means, but never stop attacking. You want to push your lane opponent up to their tower, so your minions are widdling down that tower. Remember, your main goal is to destroy that middle tower before 10 minutes. It's entirely possible, and ideal. You'll be giving your entire team an XP boost and a ton of gold for your efforts.

If you're constantly attacking with Ricochet up, you should establish early lane dominance. You should widdle down your opponents HP from Ricochet hitting them. Your opponent will be stuck under their tower, trying to last hit minions. It's engrained in their brains to last hit; they'll probably be pinging their jungler to come gank you. That's why it's super important that you don't hang around mid-lane. Once you push to the enemy tower, fall back until the next wave comes. It'll keep you safe, and keep your lane opponent controlled (and probably really pissed off).

Keep up this charade until you have enough money for the first trip back (1475 gold or 825 gold, remember those two numbers). If you're laning against a cruel lane bully, like Brand, you're going to want to take the 825 trip back, as you'll need the movement speed to continue your lane dominance.

It's important to note, you're going to do the most tower damage when your opponent decides to go back. Pop On The Hunt and go to town if they're stupid enough to leave you with a wave of minions to attack that tower.

Once the middle tower is down, continue to farm middle. You're trying to get to those Bloodthirsters remember. If I'm in good communication with my team, I usually trade top lane at this point for mid, so I can push another lane and grab our team another tower. But keep in mind, not everyone is going to want to trade their lane, so be respectful.

As the game goes on, you'll be shifting to midgame. Continue to farm minions, only get into fights when you're with at least 1-2 other team mates, constantly ward, and farm-farm and push-push. Sivir's main goal early-mid game is to divert attention from the enemy team. If a jungler is coming to gank you over bottom or top, you should feel honored; you're wasting their time.

Now for those of you who were stuck with bottom lane as Sivir.. never fret, she can still have an impact!

LANE SIVIR:

Your priority on skills:
On The Hunt > Boomerang Blade > Ricochet > Spell Shield

You'll want to aim for Level 3 Boomerang Blade by level 5, with 1 point in Ricochet and 1 point in Spell Shield.

So unlike middle lane, you're going to want to last hit here. Don't keep Ricochet constantly up, just last hit. If you get an oppurtunity to toss a Boomerang Blade on your opponent, make sure it hits them directly in the face. Don't throw it through minions, or the damage vs. mana cost won't be worth it.

If I'm with a support, I will constantly be farming, last hitting. This isn't too bad for you, but you won't be as farmed as if you were middle. I would build the same as if you were building for mid, because you're not changing your build late game.

The goal here isn't to push the lane as fast as possible, but to farm slowly and steadily, and then gank when your jungler comes around to help.

Your best-friends for laning are champions with a stun/snare (ex: Taric, Renekton, Lux, Pantheon) so you can line up a perfect Boomerang Blade. With your runes and Doran's Blade, and early-game Boomerang Blade that goes through an opponent directly on, twice, is almost a guaranteed first blood.

When you're laning, be in constant communication with your lane partner. Let them know that you need to know when they're going to attempt a gank, so you can pop On The Hunt for the speed advantage. On The Hunt works great when your jungler pops in, because they won't be able to outrun you. And worst case scenario, they'll blow Flash to get away.

Lane phase is officially over once you or your opposing lane destroy one of the towers in the lane. Never give up an opportunity to farm minion waves though!

CLOSURE:

Sivir's a great champion, and I'm always looking forward to learning new tricks about her. If anyone has any input they'd like to give, I'd be totally willing to add, change, or whatever to my guide. I'll try to be adding new things and changing this guide, so it will be living and breathing. Give Sivir a try before you knock her. And most importantly, take a look at some of the extra resources here!

RESOURCES:

No one is a genius and figures stuff out on their own. The following are some noteworthy Sivir resources that helped me understand the champion a bit more. Make use of them. And please... post more! I'll add to the list.

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...nderused.xhtml - A CLASSIC guide. Has videos and other media to back up its points. Uses excel graphs to prove maximize DPS builds, etc. A MUST READ!!
http://www.solomid.net/guides_search.php?filter=sivir - Some guides on Sivir via SoloMid
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=1310 - A guide by NibelungVilesti, one of my favorites!
http://www.own3d.tv/video/177606/Dyr..._Demonstration - A demonstration of Sivir at late game, made by Dyrus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKPDQhEPNg&hd=1 - Siv HD's Sivir Guide.. HILARIOUS. But has some useful stuff too
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/sivir-guide - More Sivir guides via Mobafire
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=57572 - A list of spells and how Spell Shield reacts with it, a must read! It's usually up-to-date too (thanks to Poki3!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfr1KeQEuw - Phreak's official Sivir champion spotlight.. ha.

[turley]qxKPDQhEPNg[/turley]

Diagas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2011

[FAQ]

What do you do to maintain your mana as Sivir? I go OOM so much!

First tip is Spell Shield.. you need to learn how to master this! Check out Poki3's thread on what can be shielded for mana return here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=57572

Other than that, I like to toggle my Ricochet on/off. I like to keep Ricochet on to clear minion waves, but turn it off for towers. Maybe sometimes I know the jungler is nearby, so I'll toggle off Ricochet to let the minions push back.

Your main offense of mana-hogginess is going to be Boomerang Blade. I only will use Boomerang Blade if A) the enemy champion is stunned, guarenteeing a double hit or B) the champion is running towards me chasing me. Other than that, your mana issues should alleviate as the game shifts from early-game to mid-game. I notice the mana problems really end around level 9.

I still don't get why you rune for Flat AD over Armor Penetration. Why do you not rune for Armor Penetration?!

The whole point of my build is for an early game advantage. By getting flat AD, you'll be able to clear minions a lot quicker. Armor penetration is nice, but does nothing for tower damage. I like to alleviate the lack of armor pen by picking up a Sword of the Divine around midgame.

Why would you level Ricochet first? You can't control it.

Ricochet allows you to push your lane. And later on, it allows you to farm quick. I completely endorse last-hitting, don't get me wrong, but I also endorse bullying your lane. Your lane opponent won't be able to keep up with your clearing, and with Ricochet on (with your attack damage), you're going to be clearing every single minion as a last hit. I guarentee it.

More FAQ coming soon!

nukeforlots

08-31-2011

wouldn't you go oom if you keep your ricochet on so often mid? :S my only question really, otherwise awesome guide.

Diagas

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeforlots View Post
wouldn't you go oom if you keep your ricochet on so often mid? :S my only question really, otherwise awesome guide.
First off, thank you!

Second off, I usually don't have mana issues as Sivir! I find if you toggle Ricochet on/off depending on the number of minions, not keeping it on while attacking the tower, etc, you won't be losing too much mana. It also helps if your opponent tries to harass you.. free mana via Spell Shield.

If you're going for the Ricochet-on strategy in middle, you won't be casting Boomerang Blade often, so you should have a steady 50-70% mana at all times.

magewahhhhh

08-31-2011

hi

Daross

Recruiter

08-31-2011

Im using bit difrent build, but also heavy pushing.
Had today game, where I destroyed 3 towers mid (yep - up to Inhibitor xD), before enemy team noticed something is going wrong in mid =P
As sides were not doing as well, game was looong, and this middle inhibitor didnt go down to the very end of the game tho =S

Diagas

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daross View Post
Im using bit difrent build, but also heavy pushing.
Had today game, where I destroyed 3 towers mid (yep - up to Inhibitor xD), before enemy team noticed something is going wrong in mid =P
As sides were not doing as well, game was looong, and this middle inhibitor didnt go down to the very end of the game tho =S
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It seems the only way to play her is to just focus on heavy pushing. And while you do that, you farm.

The traditional last-hitting and farming doesn't seem to work with her. I think then you're giving your opponent the oppurtunity to farm with no pressure, and that'll catch up to you. Rather, just keep the pressure on them, and make them have to change up their free-farm strategy to defend their towers.

nukeforlots

09-01-2011

what's the most noticeable advantage a sivir can bring to a team or game if picked? I want to see if I can play her viably so these questions help a bit

Elementz

The Council

09-01-2011

Hurray for sivir!!! <3

acosn

09-01-2011

There's just so much wrong with this build.

Flat AD is still worse than Armor pen even if you're taking mid. It gets worse when you consider how much faster ricochet's damage drops off from a lack of it.

Frozen Mallet is strictly a no-no on Sivir. It doesn't stack with her ricochet, and you can find HP and AD in much more cost effective packages. It's just not your job as Sivir to pin down carries either. You have tanks and soaks for a reason.

Ricochet should be the lowest priority ability. You simply have little control over where it goes, and early game with a weak mana pool and weak mana regen (which your build has as well. Literally no mana items. At all.) you're going to be stuck deciding between boomerang and ricochet. Not everyone is going to be dumb enough to broadcast their spells so that you can just suck it up with spell shield.

Sword of the Divine isn't useful unless you're dealing with a dodge dump, or a Jax. It's proc isn't going to kill tanks either.