Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Armour Pen, or AS Marks for Nocturne?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abonics

09-01-2011

I do 6 Arpen reds 3 AS reds 9 armour yellows 6 Mr per lvl blues 3 AS blues and 3 Arpen quints

Cerubus

09-01-2011

Quote:
End0fDay:
I looked at his Noc page and saw no AS. =) I'm thinking of throwing just a bit of AS to help the jungle though. Flat HP or anything else to help my early game as well. Ty Axemdrake.

Thanks. I assumed you jungled because of wriggle's lantern but I guess that's just a good item for him anyway. I used to use bThirster cos I laned, but... wow wriggle's is nice.

Yup, wriggles can be nice, especially on Twisted treeline, since the area that you can scout with it will more likely to be traveled, because the map is smaller. Bloodthirster would be a nice alternative for him on Summoner's Rift, as the area that you ward will have a less chance of finding targets. I am bad at placing wards on Summoner's right though, as when I lane, I only typically place the ward in the bushes by the river to protect against possible ganks.

End0fDay

09-01-2011

Quote:
I Smash Pros:
I do 6 Arpen reds 3 AS reds 9 armour yellows 6 Mr per lvl blues 3 AS blues and 3 Arpen quints

Ty, SmashPros. x) I'll definitely be working AS in there as I level. As for the Mr / level, I have six flat magic resist glyphs. Wondering if this was a mistake; I got them in the mindset that noc needs the better part of assistance during his early game. Now I'm not sure. It might be a good idea to replace with Mr / level, or do you think it matters much?

Quote:
Cerebus5:
Yup, wriggles can be nice, especially on Twisted treeline, since the area that you can scout with it will more likely to be traveled, because the map is smaller. .... I am bad at placing wards on Summoner's right though, as when I lane, I only typically place the ward in the bushes by the river to protect against possible ganks.

I never warded before, but now I'm in love with it. xD Probably my favourite places to put it is near the dragon to overlook those three ramps into the river, or near blue golem later on because it also covers multiple paths. Got these placements from an Evelynn guide on mobafire.

killerb0y

Recruiter

09-01-2011

As some posters mentioned above, AS is only beneficial in the jungle. You naturally (with W) gain AS, even more so when you block a spell, and one of my core items on Noc is Ghostblade (which also gives a ton of AS). More AS early will definitely help you jungle faster and more safely (due to your passive procing more), but honestly, I find it unnecessary. I've done jungle routes starting with just Vamp Scepter and done fine*, though Cloth armour + 5pots is obviously safer.

In my opinion, you want MR/lvl glyphs if you want to be more tanky late game, and are more confident of your early, flat MR if you want the survivability early. So it really depends on your playstyle and the champion you're playing. In particular to Nocturne, I personally like the flat MR more because I find him squishy early, and I also really like getting a Banshee's mid-late game, so that solves all my MR problems (two spell shields OP much?)

Core items on Nocturne is definitely a Wriggles and Ghostblade. After that, I go tanky, starting with a Banshees, then whatever other tank items I need. I like Noc as a tanky DPS more than AD DPS Carry, because I use his ult to dive into the middle/behind the enemy team to kill the enemy carries.

*Note you can't start at the buff camps if you start with Vamp scepter, but it means that you get level 6 with double buff.

End0fDay

09-03-2011

Quote:
killerb0y:
As some posters mentioned above, AS is only beneficial in the jungle. You naturally (with W) gain AS, even more so when you block a spell, and one of my core items on Noc is Ghostblade (which also gives a ton of AS). More AS early will definitely help you jungle faster and more safely (due to your passive procing more), but honestly, I find it unnecessary. I've done jungle routes starting with just Vamp Scepter and done fine*, though Cloth armour + 5pots is obviously safer.

In my opinion, you want MR/lvl glyphs if you want to be more tanky late game, and are more confident of your early, flat MR if you want the survivability early. So it really depends on your playstyle and the champion you're playing. In particular to Nocturne, I personally like the flat MR more because I find him squishy early, and I also really like getting a Banshee's mid-late game, so that solves all my MR problems (two spell shields OP much?)

Core items on Nocturne is definitely a Wriggles and Ghostblade. After that, I go tanky, starting with a Banshees, then whatever other tank items I need. I like Noc as a tanky DPS more than AD DPS Carry, because I use his ult to dive into the middle/behind the enemy team to kill the enemy carries.

*Note you can't start at the buff camps if you start with Vamp scepter, but it means that you get level 6 with double buff.

My secondary champion is Morgana, so I already like blocking spells a lot. =D I haven't experimented at all with tank nocturne so I'm wondering what goes well for him. mobafire says Guardin'Angel a few times, but I'm guessing your lack of mentioning any implies "situational" which would make perfect sense to me. But up 'till now I've been using him mostly as a DPS Carry. I'll definitely tinker with that. Thanks!

I also rarely start at blue. It's so easy to gank, and my friends are still somewhat new to the game, despite being around level 20 as well. They only play when it's all, or at least three of us, and I find that extremely limiting if one were to seek a broader sense of the game.

I was also wondering, do people ever mix flat Mr with Mr / level, or is this somehow suboptimal? So while I have some flat Mr glyphs (6), I'm wondering if finishing the blue section off with Mr / level will somehow help me deal better against say, a fed APcaster, or does buying mag armour cover this? Actually I might be answering my own question there, but I'm wondering if people ever do that, or is it completely foolish.

Aezoc

09-03-2011

Quote:
I was also wondering, do people ever mix flat Mr with Mr / level, or is this somehow suboptimal? So while I have some flat Mr glyphs (6), I'm wondering if finishing the blue section off with Mr / level will somehow help me deal better against say, a fed APcaster, or does buying mag armour cover this? Actually I might be answering my own question there, but I'm wondering if people ever do that, or is it completely foolish.

Most people run MR/level because early game you aren't as likely to eat a full spell combo (due to fewer skill points and mana constraints), and by the time team fights typically start the MR/level glyphs are better. Particularly with Nocturne's ability to completely block one spell, you're better off with MR/lvl. That said, the difference isn't enormous, and having just hit 20 there are better uses of your IP than swapping flat MR for per level.