HoN vs LoL

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnknownElementX

07-30-2009

so one of my friends (in response to me telling him to play LoL) sent me a HoN beta key. I loaded it up and was completely confused. Not being a Dota player its a bit much for me. LoL seems much more user friendly. I will have to admit the game is gorgeous

what do you guys think of the two games in comparison and what the strengths are of LoL vs that game or others of its type (more direct Dota clones I assume)

cwatz

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Hon is in essence, dota with better graphics and no battlenet delay. It did very little to improve on the gameplay itself (i know the whole if its broken, dont fix it deal). Its still a fun game for the most part, but its not something that will blow you away.

The big thing LoL did, is take things that they viewed as being broken in dota, and improving them, aswell as adding additions of their own.

The main result is simply a more fun, active game imo.

Stumpster

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Both LoL and HoN have positives and negatives.

LoL Pros: Free to play, albeit with microtransactions. The developers have already stated that they will not go the Gunbound route of $$$ = power, but I'll wait until release to see how true that stays. They have a decent matchmaking system, the developers are very responsive to the community, and the community in beta is very good.

LoL Cons: The graphics set people off quite a bit. The reconnection ability is nowhere near as good as HoN. They went off on their own when it came to heroes and items (both a good and a bad thing). Beta is still only open on the weekends, although whether that is due to a smaller playerbase or server reasons I cannot say. (Note: This was written two weeks ago by me on the HoN boards, this was true then.)

HoN Pros: Follows DoTA verbatim. Better graphically, much more polished. Reconnection system absolutely kicks ass. Friend and (potentially) clan systems seem much easier to use and understand. Beta is open 24/7 and is very easy to find a game at any time.

HoN Cons: Follows DoTA verbatim. Lots of things are coming "sometime soon", but we haven't seen them yet. (Matchmaking, clan systems, etc) Community seems to stem more from DoTA, probably because it is easier to get into. This isn't helped by stat farming, leaving percentages, and whatnot that S2 hadn't expected.

Honestly, I'm planning to pick up both games to support indie developers, if nothing else.

Teirdome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
The main result is simply a more fun, active game imo.
Agreed with everything you said and this is a fantastic summary. Fun and active are two traits that LoL excels at, just like a beautiful woman has two amazing traits...

Her personality and her intelligence sickos!

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Just as a heads up, a full reconnect option *is* coming. You'll be able to do it if you lose power, if your computer blue screens, if your idiot brother trips over your Ethernet cable or power cord....It's going to be awesome.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

HoN IS DotA. It's just slightly prettier and has a less stable engine.

MrFroho

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
LoL Cons: The graphics set people off quite a bit.
Fixed.

Marduke

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
HoN Cons: Follows DoTA verbatim. Lots of things are coming "sometime soon", but we haven't seen them yet. (Matchmaking, clan systems, etc)
Both of those 'coming soon' you mentioned were just added last patch. Although the clan system is kind of bare bones framework, until they add more.

Both games have their merits. I think LoL wins in gameplay (personally, but I can see why people would feel HoN is better suited for competition, it's almost identical to a tried and true competitive game).

But HoN wins in UI/Front End, and other engine mechanics hands down. I think Riot made a mistake seemingly considering those as a second thought rather than making them a first priority. Right now A LOT of features that I consider ESSENTIAL for this genre are on the back burner, with doubts whether they will appear before release.

cwatz

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Quote:
lol pros: The graphics get people off quite a bit.
fixed

Zeta

07-30-2009

Quote:
HoN IS DotA. It's just slightly prettier and has a less stable engine.
Don't forget making all the Champions more disfigured, grotesque, and grizzled and adding an adorable candy-eating baby owl, as well! Thus making their art-style extra confusing.

1234511 ... 14