[Guide] How to play LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veridic Rage

09-14-2009

I hope my guide to LoL helps some of you new people- Just ask if you are new and there is something else you would like to know, i'm sure there are more people out there wondering the same thing- there are plenty of other in depth guides on specifics, so keep it simple

-----

So you just started. You have a clean slate- a record of 0/0/0. Let's keep it that way for a while shall we?

PLAY PRACTICE GAMES:

When you click the play button you have an option to choose a practice game. PLAY PRACTICE GAMES. They do not effect your record and you will find people much more receptive to your basic questions and play style. People are much more inclined to help when they are not solely focused on winning for themselves or partial pre-made.

Practice games are also the best idea for trying a new champion, mastery set up, or rune build for the first time, regardless of how many games you have played before. (It's just good etiquette). I will explain what Masteries and Runes are later.

CHOOSE A CHAMPION
:

I suggest trying every champion once- take note while playing against other champions and try those you seem to like more than once until you find a handful you enjoy playing.

If you don't have the time of course to try every champion I would (as a new player) look at champions in three categories: Ranged, Melee, Spell Casters. The ridiculous number of other groupings they currently have are actually more confusing than helpful. Please note I am greatly over simplifying the roles these champions can fill, but should give a general gist of what these champs are like pre-mastery/runes.

Ranged: these champions should be played at a distance. You should not run into creeps right clicking enemy champions. This will get you aggro from the creeps and hurt you early game more than hurt them. Play back with these characters- getting the last hit on a creep yields gold, this is a very important part of the early/mid game. The more creeps you last hit, the more money you get, the more powerful your items allow you to become. Take pop shots with these champions- shoot enemy champions when they only have a few creeps left or if they get too close to your creeps. This is called harassing and is also a very very important part of the game. When you are half health you are easily gankable- run to the closest tower and click the "B" button and recall back to town to heal up if you sense danger (Aka if they are playing aggressively, actively trying to kill you).

(Note: once you are comfortable with a character you don't need to play so conservatively but I recommend this to new players so you do not feed.)

Ranged Champs: Ashe, Teemo, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Tristana, Sivir.

Melee: these champions are designed to get into the face of your opponents and whack them in the jaw... repeatedly. Some of these melee heros fall into the sub category of damage dealer or tank. ie. Some can take much more damage with a higher starting armor/health and some can deal more damage while having less of both.

Tank: Amumu, Rammus, Alistar, Cho'Gath, Jax, Nunu, Singed, Blitzcrank, Malphite, Tryndamere, Kayle (Judicator), Sion. These characters can take a beating... dont run into towers right away, or tank two champions in a lane- but know that you can afford to run into mobs taking a few shots to last hit for gold, or harass someone who is too close. These heros are more resilient and are a good choice if you like to lead the charge into battle.

Damage Dealer: Evelyn, Gangplank, Warwick, Master Yi, Kassadin (ok so he's a caster, but as a new player you will see him like a melee champ :P), Dr. Mundo. These champions generaly require a more conservative early game as a new player, but with the right items can shine BRIGHTLY in the mid/end game. Your job is to target a squishy and get them down before they knew what hit them. Last hitting is a must on all champions.
Spell Casters: these champions require a bit more planning item wise and a bit more conservative play in the early game (this means by no means should you be trying to tank anything or anyone). Take your last hits/harassing shots and get out of there. They are generally capable of doing more burst damage than other champions in the early game, and with the right items continue on doing such in the late game. It is ok to use mana to last hit creeps- too many people waste all their mana harassing when it could be better spent preparing their coffers for the mid/late game.

Spell Caster Champions: Ryze, Veigar, Soraka, Fiddlesticks, Zilean, Anivia, Janna, Morgana, Annie, Karthus, Taric (Taric can also be a tank/dd... depends on how you skill/build him).

DONT WORRY ABOUT RUNES/MASTERIES YET
:

At this level of play it will have no effect on you... once you know how to not die 20 times in a game, and have leveled a bit, come back here and search the forums if you're confused.

CHOOSE YOUR FIRST SKILL
:

Read the description of each skill carefully (Note: you can only choose from the first three until level 6 when you unlock your ultimate). Take careful note of the cooldown- some abilities look sweet but may not be your best first choice. Low mana cost or high damage is something to look for- in the beginning you want to be last hitting/harassing as often as possible... generally the more times you can use an ability or the more damage it does- the more likely you are to do said job. If you are in a lane with someone else- it may be a good idea to grab a CC ability if you have it (Anything that snares/roots/disables the target). This will allow you to be of more use to your partner. Click the +1 bubble next to the ability to level the ability. You can level all abilities 5 levels, minus your ultimate which can be leveled 3 times.

You right click to move, the hotkeys are always Q, W, E, and R for champion skills, and A and S for summoner abilities. Oh and click the lock at the top right ish of your screen to be able to scroll beyond your character in game.

PICK A LANE
:

There are three "lanes"- top, mid, and bot. The path leading to the top left is Top, the path leading to the middle is mid, and the path leading to the bottom right is bot. If someone says any of those three lanes- let them have it, they obviously have a plan (or at least should). If someone says "mid solo" that means they want to be the only person in that lane. Both bottom and top lanes have a larger gap inbewteen turrets- these lanes are more proned to ganking. The grass you can walk into which makes you invisible (if they walk into the grass you cannot see them unless clairvoyance, sight totem, or elixer is used- or unless you walk into the same patch of grass. Be aware. Also, asking if you can join someone in a lane when they get there before you is a nice thing to do.

You can right click anywhere on the minimap to move there.

CHOOSE YOUR FIRST ITEM
:

Clicking the fat looking monster santa right where you spawn at will open the store menu. There are many different items you can buy with your starting 475g but I would recommend as a new player, either health regen or mana regen- Health regen is found under defense, and mana under magic. If you get low on health you can play back (defensive) and let your health regen if you bought the item, or you can recall back by hitting "b" on your keyboard, heal up by being in the circle, and then run back immediately to your lane (Try to only do this if your creeps have pushed to their tower or are close).

MAKE MONEY:

Doing the final bit of damage to a creep or a champion is known as a last hit, or a kill shot. These last hits are your main source of income and should be charished for what they are- your ticket to a win. Killing a champ gives significantly more than killing a creep... but if you can kill 10 creeps without worrying about dying it is much better than a champ kill that took you out of your exp lane for 2 minutes.

GET EXP:

You do not need to get a kill to gain exp- nor do you even have to touch the creep- just be around it when it dies to gain exp.

GET TOWER KILLS NOT GET KILLED BY TOWERS:

Towers WILL kill you if you aren't careful. When near a tower a line will pop up between you and the tower and then pulse balls of own at your face. By running away from the tower you will notice the line breaks- when that happens you are no longer in danger. When the tower has a target picked- it will shoot at that target until it is dead. If you run up and start attacking a tower while it is killing your creeps it will not attack you until the last creep is dead- so get in there and pound that tower until 2 creeps are left, and then jet. PLEASE NOTE: any damage done to an enemy champion around a tower will make the tower instantly attack the source of that damage. Even if it is attacking your creeps- if you attack someone near a tower the tower will turn to you and melt your face off. Killing towers yields exp and gold for the whole team... do it.

BUY MORE STUFF:

Recall back to the base if there is a lull in battle and buy more items (by clicking on items you already have that are shown in the shop, it will show you what can be made by combining that item with others). Keeping up on items will allow you to sustain longer in lanes, last hit better, and kill champs faster. It is very important you don't forget to do this. You can also purchase items while dead- this will help you make the most of your time while wondering whether or not it was worth running through a tower to try and kill ryze before he turned around and prison/pwned you.

ASK QUESTIONS K?:

Come to the forums, ask questions, read character specific guides, join the public ventrilo and ask people for help. (Yes it is scary, yes there are ******bags, but yes it is worth it). This is a wonderful community, and though more ******s have come along there are plenty of people willing to help. If all else fails add me in game: Veridic Rage, and I will at least give you a practice games worth of answers

OMG I LEVELED:

Yup, you even get exp for losing- now it is your job to use the search function on these forums and find links to mastery ideas and rune builds. But for the basics: Every level gives 1 mastery point to be spent in any tree you want, and unlocks 1 rune slot for your to add runes that slightly modify any champion you play.
-GOOD LUCK!

Mr Tibbers

09-14-2009

Helpful for new players, but I would much rather see Noetherian's guide stickies and put in the guides section. Not being rude, but it is waaaaay more in-depth.

Veridic Rage

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
Helpful for new players, but I would much rather see Noetherian's guide stickies and put in the guides section. Not being rude, but it is waaaaay more in-depth.
Agreed- I thought as a new player I don't want in depth, I want basics, to the point, and not painful to read... after all, they want to play the game ^ ^

Prometheus

Recruiter

09-14-2009

I must be missing something. Why did you list Dr. Mundo as a damage dealer?

Veridic Rage

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Killing yourself counts as dealing damage ^ ^

Aurax

09-14-2009

Great guide for newbies, I wish I had it long time ago, anyway thanks for the effort, clarity and tips! I will pass it to my new buddies! - so they stop losing

cheers!

Mr Tibbers

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You ever see that Masochism spell? You know the one. It kick up damage by 110 at level 5? Well, let's say you get Infinity Edge and a ton of Attack Speed/Crit Chance. What'dya think you get? DPS. He isn't as good at it as Trynd, Yi or Pirate...but it is DPS. :/

NakorTBR

12-07-2009

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate this

Supernatural Cow

03-29-2010

Hey just wanna say this guide really helped me, thanks

shervin

10-12-2010

I CAME FROM NOOB TO PRO BY ONE SENTENCE my friend said
(winning is not killing more,winning is not getting killed)