Your KDA, and what it means to you.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mattisthe1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2011

There are plenty of ways people try to use kills, deaths, and assists to judge how well they're playing. Some people just add kills and subtract deaths, some people say an assist is worth half a kill, some people say assists are worth an entire kill if you're playing support/tank, etc. To really know an effective way of using KDA to measure skill, first you have to understand what kills, deaths, and assists really are.

Kill: A champion that you get the last hit on. Even if Ezreal does 99% of the damage to a champion then Janna says "LOL AUTOATTACK", then Janna gets the kill.

Death: This means you died. Herp derp.

Assist:A champion that you did some form of damage to, rather it's actual damage or simply a slow/stun. Even if you do 99% of the damage, if someone else last hits then you're SOL for a kill (see Ezreal/Janna above)

So, kills and assists both mean that they're kills for your team that you've had a direct part in. Because a champion on their team is dead and your team is at least 300g richer, these both count as one point.

Deaths mean you've directly aided the enemy team. Your team is down a man and their team is at least 300g richer. Therefore, deaths count as one point, as well.

This, however, is where most people go wrong. You shouldn't subtract deaths from kills, or try to divide them to get a ratio. Instead, you should compare kills and deaths to your team totals.

Look at your team's and the enemy team's kills. You are one player on your team out of five, therefore you should be aiming to be responsible for 20% (or more) of your team's kills and be guilty of no more than 20% of the enemy team's kills.

For example:

Thirty minutes into the game, your score is 13-7-2. The game score is 34-25, with your team in the lead.

First, add your kills and assists then compare them to the team total. 13 + 2 = 15. Fifteen out of every 34 kills reduces to .44, or 44%. This means you had a hand in 44% of your team's kills, which exceeds your goal of 20%. You're doing well in kills.

Next, compare your deaths to the other team's kills. Using the same math as before, you can see that you're responsible for 28% of the other team's kills. Although you aren't feeding them kills (40% of their kills is what I define as feeding), you should try to play a bit less risky.

/twocents

FDru

08-28-2011

All that matters to me is the beautiful sight of the enemy Nexus exploding.

Kick 2 the face

08-28-2011

my k.d.a means nothin to me if i have 6 tower kills in a game that even if im negative we still win

Mattisthe1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsYouLagging View Post
my k.d.a means nothin to me if i have 6 tower kills in a game that even if im negative we still win
Yeah, I usually factor towers in to mine as well, but I don't think eight-year-olds in the forums have the patience or ability to do simple algebra right now.

SlushieGuy

08-28-2011

yeah, i don't like how people judge you badly just because you're negative with more than 10 assists over everybody else.

Renegade Glitch

08-28-2011

k/d/a might not be a directly accurate representation of skill, but a 0/15/4 person is bad. reguardless of circumstances.
a 20/1/19 player is good, because even assuming he KS'd alot of those kills, hes still doing well in the whole, not dying and dmging people area.

Mattisthe1

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadAssassin View Post
k/d/a might not be a directly accurate representation of skill, but a 0/15/4 person is bad. reguardless of circumstances.
a 20/1/19 player is good, because even assuming he KS'd alot of those kills, hes still doing well in the whole, not dying and dmging people area.
Both of those situations are covered by this method. Read/math first, post after?

The Best Ryan

08-28-2011

A good system, but assuming 20% is good seems wrong because in your system you get a point for assists too. Do if everyone was at 20%, no one would have an assist.

I think 40% is a better june to shoot for, making you pulled your weight and aided one other person-worth of kills.

bobisyag

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadAssassin View Post
I once had a 0/10/1 Yi backdoor to win the game. Does that mean he's bad?

Imba Player 13

08-28-2011

Im a KDA freak. I hate when my KDA is low in games. It makes me feel week.