Smart cast... why no range display?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pleasantly

08-28-2011

So when you smart cast, you hold shift + a skill and it will automatically activate the skill without your mouse clicking. But why can't it still show the range of the skill so that you can aim it more accurately or know the range of that skill shot? I would use smart cast often if I didn't have to guess whether smart casting that spell will put me in tower range when I chase an opponent in lane (I would hold shift and hold my mouse over the enemy and watch as my champion attempts to walk into range to hit that skill, only to retreat when it's not in range).

DarkenDragon

08-28-2011

how would the game know which skill you were gonna use? how would it know which range to show you?

its either one or the other, you cant have both sorry

theplqa

08-28-2011

If you play a champ enough you can just feel the range of abilities no problem.
However making it that when you hold shift a range indicator comes up actually seems kind of useful.

SmokeDatPakalolo

08-28-2011

You should atleast get a feel to know the range when attempting smartcasting especially when playing someone like karthus for example, the only real problem with smart casting is click aiming skills which as of now is only available as rumble's ult and what OP says could address it.

BombBuggy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkenDragon View Post
how would the game know which skill you were gonna use? how would it know which range to show you?

Pretty much this.

Let's say you take the OP's idea of showing the range with shift... It would have to show the range of every single ability, because it has no idea if you are going to click Q, W, E, R, or some item you've got. That is just cluttered and stupid, it is simply better to use the skill like normal.

It also seems like you are using Smart casting a bit differently than what I would use it for. I use it for skillshots like Brand's Q, that way I can shoot it the very split second I want too. You seem to be using it for skills where you need to run up to the enemy to use them. Which, basically, is the same as if you were to just click your skill and walk up to your enemy. Where are the benefits?

Pleasantly

08-28-2011

I'm talking about right at the edge of the range, you know, clutch shots. I play many champions too... on champions like Brand, a range indicator would be extremely helpful.

BombBuggy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantly View Post
I'm talking about right at the edge of the range, you know, clutch shots. I play many champions too... on champions like Brand, a range indicator would be extremely helpful.
If you want a range indicator, click the skill. You need to click it for smart cast anyway. Holding shift, which would be followed by the skill you want to use being pressed, just to see a range indicator of a somehow computer predicted skill is a waste of a key when you could press the skill you want to use. It takes one press, and gives you the range indicator, as opposed to holding a key, getting a somehow predicted range indicator, and then pressing the skill you want to use anyway.

I don't know what you mean about clutch shots. Do you mean skill shots?

Pleasantly

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkenDragon View Post

I'm suggesting a concept where you hold shift and the range of every one of your abilities is shown in a light translucent colored range indicator.

BombBuggy

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantly View Post
I'm suggesting a concept where you hold shift and the range of every one of your abilities is shown in a light translucent colored range indicator.
Here is how I see it then.

Smart cast is not the problem. The function of smart cast is to instantly cast your skill, with no clicking or delay.

You want something new. You want a full ability range indicator, which has nothing to do with smart cast. You should suggest it as a new development if you think it is useful.

In my opinion, it is not useful. The only people who would use it are people who do not know the range of their skills by feel, which means almost exclusively new players. New players do not need another button to push to see redundant, albeit 'more', information.

A player will only have a maximum of four skills, and then possibly some 'active' attack items. Chances are that those four skills are not going to all be attack skills, and that anyone who 'needs' to use this already has their hands full just getting to use those four attacks in a row and does not need extra information. If they are just close enough for your long range skill, your shorter range skills will not work. If they are close enough for your short ranged skills, they are close enough for your long range skills. This is easy enough to grasp and does not need to be furthered with multiple indicators on one button.

My two cents is that it is unnecessary.

Pleasantly

08-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombBuggy View Post
Here is how I see it then.

Smart cast is not the problem. The function of smart cast is to instantly cast your skill, with no clicking or delay.

You want something new. You want a full ability range indicator, which has nothing to do with smart cast. You should suggest it as a new development if you think it is useful.

In my opinion, it is not useful. The only people who would use it are people who do not know the range of their skills by feel, which means almost exclusively new players. New players do not need another button to push to see redundant, albeit 'more', information.

A player will only have a maximum of four skills, and then possibly some 'active' attack items. Chances are that those four skills are not going to all be attack skills, and that anyone who 'needs' to use this already has their hands full just getting to use those four attacks in a row and does not need extra information. If they are just close enough for your long range skill, your shorter range skills will not work. If they are close enough for your short ranged skills, they are close enough for your long range skills. This is easy enough to grasp and does not need to be furthered with multiple indicators on one button.

My two cents is that it is unnecessary.
All I'm saying is keep smart cast the way it is, but when you hold shift, you see the ranges of all your smalls in a very light, translucent color. If Q has less range than W, then you will see a circle within a circle. Then, you just cast the skill as you would for smart cast... It's not that complicated.