Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How does Armor/Magic Resist work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maledicte

05-18-2010

So this may seem silly to some of you, but I don't understand armor and magic resist. For instance, lets say my champion has 150 armor and magic resist. What does that do for me? Lets say Ryze hits me for 500 magic dmg. Does that mean I just absorb 150 of that and instead he only does 350? If this is the case, then why wouldn't I be able to null all damage from Katarina's Ult because each dagger only does 80dmg.

Also, late game most champions are able to dish out high damage, and being able to block only 150 dmg out of say 1000dmg seems like a waste of money, so wouldn't stacking health items be more viable?

So in summary:
How do armor and magic resist items work? What does that number next to Armor on the character summary screen really mean?
And whats more viable: Health or armor/magic resist?

apapersack

05-18-2010

The same way magnets do....oh wait :3

On topic: I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but I'm pretty sure that a combo of health + armor + mr is much better than just stacking 1.

EmissaryShadow

Recruiter

05-18-2010

Quote:
Stumpster:

Q: How does armor and magic resistance work? (Credit to Garek for framing it better than I could.)

Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc.

Magic resistance works in the exact same fashion, except it does so against spells only. There is no overlap between armor and magic resistance at all. (Ex. Having 500 Armor would have no impact on spells, having 500 Magic Resistance would have no impact on physical attacks)

Q: What order is armor penetration/MR penetration applied in? (Credit to TiberiusAudley)

A: From top to bottom

Armor/MR Reduction
% Based Armor/MR Penetration
Flat/Linear Armor/MR Penetration

Q: Can you reduce armor or magic resistance below 0?

A: Yes, although the only things that can reduce below 0 is Armor/MR Reduction. Both percentage and flat penetration do not have an effect after they get to 0 armor/MR.

From http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287

Talking Socks

05-18-2010

Hover over it; it shows how much % damage you reduce.

Cleo

Recruiter

05-18-2010

Quote:
Talking Socks:
Hover over it; it shows how much % damage you reduce.

This^^