An Analysis of MOBA Gaming and it's Future:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necromer

08-29-2011

Completely agree, and I hope things will turn out for the best not only for Riot, but for the community and industry in general.

xRiney

08-29-2011

Linking to this post, tired of trying to put THIS point accross to all my DOTA loving fanatic friends who just refuse to see the light.

+1

Maya Fey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiney View Post
Linking to this post, tired of trying to put THIS point accross to all my DOTA loving fanatic friends who just refuse to see the light.

+1
I've actually managed to shed some light to most of my friends. People shouldn't be so afraid of change.

Xyrho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

High five if you remember Aeon of Strife!

Yaezakura

08-30-2011

The real kicker is, I genuinely wanted DotA2 to be good. I wanted it to be a game worth playing, to expand the MOBA genre (though I think it's a little telling that Valve refuses to refer to it as a MOBA, which is the community-accepted term for this gametype). I wanted LoL to have real competition--someone they'd have to fight against tooth and nail to keep themselves at the head of the pack.

But we're not getting that. We're getting a lame duck with some shiny feathers glued on it. If you already play LoL over DotA, there is no reason to ever play DotA2, because it is literally the exact same thing. They copied it wholesale, flaws, limitations of the WC3 game engine, and all. They literally did nothing, and unthinking fanboys will treat it like gold.

My one consolation in all this is that Dominion proves Riot has no plans to slow down or stop innovating--we still have one company willing to move the genre into the future with fresh ideas.

FelPhoenix

08-30-2011

*Shreds a man tear*
So well said <3

BardsmanGob

08-30-2011

I'm excited for DotA2 as well as Dominion. Pretty equally after having seen the little bit of gameplay on Dominion. I think they will both be refreshing to get away from the top 14 picks of LoL that make or break the match over back to all of my favs in DotA that my buddy and I were able to make work against most other lanes.

I also enjoy all of your comments about the fact that DotA2 is the same game as DotA and did nothing to change it, even though no one has played it besides the top teams who kept all the same strats as they would in DotA cause it was a tourney worth $1million. Hellz yeah I wouldn't change a darn thing about my team strat if I was going for $1mil. Also DotA2 can take the feedback of players like you guys and work towards something better, possibly could be now since they pushed back the release date already. Just hold your horses because whenever LoL came out in beta (like DotA2 is now) It was the exact same as DotA but with # changes and slightly different champs and a removal of denying on most champs. Give it time to actually bloom. I think it's wrong for people to be so one-sided either way whenever no one has concrete evidence on the issue.

My excitement is still there for both DotA2 as well as dominion to come out. I intend to play both and enjoy myself with each.

LimitsBane

08-31-2011

I to am a great MOBA player.. having played LOL, HON, SOTIS and the originial DOTA i find that LOL is by far the best.. why? ..it has quality and quantity in vast amounts... it beasts out DOTA and SOTIS in quantity and although HON can probably match it in this deparment.. LOL's champions and patches are better thought out and also more fun...

plus HON doesn't have akali

Yaezakura

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordofOP View Post
I to am a great MOBA player.. having played LOL, HON, SOTIS and the originial DOTA i find that LOL is by far the best.. why? ..it has quality and quantity in vast amounts... it beasts out DOTA and SOTIS in quantity and although HON can probably match it in this deparment.. LOL's champions and patches are better thought out and also more fun...

plus HON doesn't have akali
It also looks like someone smeared mud over everything. The gameplay is solid enough, but it seriously gives me headaches trying to play it because you just can't tell what anything is. It's all the same washed out brown.

luciferonus

08-31-2011

I think Dominion is just Arathi Basin, or Eye of Storm Battleground from WoW. Or game mode from RTS Warhammer 40k, we also have same modes in FPS like Unreal Tournament 2k4 (Onslaught mode). Worst thing about it is, map is small, and as Twisted Treeline 3x3 here are unbalanced meele carrys like Trynd, Jax etc. and most useless and unplayable; Kart, Zielan etc.