An Analysis of MOBA Gaming and it's Future:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

09-26-2011

TLDR; Dota 2 = what Icefrog intended Dota to be. Which of the Dota style games you prefer to play is up to you to decide. IMO I will definitely play Dota 2 because I enjoy it moreso than LoL (I play both). You don't need to patch what's not broken. Isn't the fact that Dota still being played by tens of millions not a good enough indication of its enduring popularity? It's Valve we're talking about. They will add new content and Dota 2 just like Dota will be a success because it's practically the same game with features it deserves and of which people have been longing for.

They brought over mechanics from WCIII for good reasons... good in the sense that millions of players are used to these mechanics and that the core of the game is based around those mechanics. It would be silly to change it just for the sake of being "new" or "different".

Denying - love it or hate it, it can definitely help you outlevel and outfarm your opponents. Last hitting is still the number one priority. You can deny heroes, creeps and structures. Would you honestly NOT want to reduce the enemies' gains from killing/destroying your heroes/creeps/structures?
Day/night cycle - brought directly over from WCIII. Some heroes like Nightstalker are balanced around this, and besides, it adds a certain flavour to the game.
Str/Agi/Int attributes - this is also brought over from WCIII. I'm sorry but the game of Dota has and always was balanced around this mechanic. Removing it = how much reworking/rebalancing would need to be done just for the sake of being "new" or "different"?

BeardRex

09-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhunterx View Post
Dominion will change the game for the better. Dota2 and HoN will stay the same as it stands.
Dota2 is actually going to mix up the game modes/maps. From what I hear there's a 3v3v3 map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrouge View Post
TLDR; Dota 2 = what Icefrog intended Dota to be. Which of the Dota style games you prefer to play is up to you to decide. IMO I will definitely play Dota 2 because I enjoy it moreso than LoL (I play both). You don't need to patch what's not broken. Isn't the fact that Dota still being played by tens of millions not a good enough indication of its enduring popularity? It's Valve we're talking about. They will add new content and Dota 2 just like Dota will be a success because it's practically the same game with features it deserves and of which people have been longing for.
For one, I think you need to learn what TLDR; means.

Two, who are you arguing with? There are room for multiple games in the genre.

HailIcefrog

11-24-2011

As correctly predicted by previous posters and relentlessly denied by Riot fanboys, Dominion is now neither as popular as the DotA-Clone SR map nor balanced correctly. Riot should go back to their fundamentals and try to copy the balance out of DotA.

P0tat0salad

11-24-2011

This is an amazing piece of work, I almost felt tears in my eyes after reading it. This is the kind of thing that makes people stop trolling the forums for a second and really think about how amazing this game really is, and how lucky we are that it's free.

Upvote x 1000

FDru

11-24-2011

This thread is ancient.