Akali... Nice Concept, Flawed Execution (Especially on Summoner's Rift)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenova

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
I totally disagree - Akali does very well in team fights. It's all about attacking the right targets at the right time, being mindful of your positioning and using the cloud effectively.
Of course you disagree...

Lyrael

05-19-2010

Tryndamere is free to disagree... he has an opinion. I have a differing opinion. That doesn't mean that either of us are any better or any worse of a person for disagreeing. Simple as that, really.

Would be curious as to why he thinks that way though:

1) Twilight Shroud's +Armor effect is rather pointless, as what armor really helps mitigate (damage from auto attacks) the stealth effect does better, anyways.

2) Twilight Shroud is an outlined AoE where the character is stealthed in. All one simply needs to do is AoE the area, and Akali takes piles of damage, with no real way to get out other than to leave the outlined area, and become visible again. For every other character with a stealth mechanic, they need to get either vision wards or an oracle elixir to counter effectively. For Akali, all that is needed is an AoE (especially as she has the bonus +Armor, and not the +Magic Resist)

3) Every other character with a stealth mechanic doesn't have this rather unique problem. I can only surmise (and again, this is just my understanding of it) that Twilight Shroud is meant to dart in and out an area, attacking everyone, while being harder to hit. (Thematically speaking, like the Nightcrawler sequence in the opening scene of X Men 2). This is why the area is outlined (as in, this is the area you don't want to be in)

The problem with is that any targeted ability that you aim at kat and click, even if Akali goes back into stealth by the time the actual ability is cast, triggers (Kat's Shunpo, Kat's Bouncing Blade, Garen's Execute, Nunu's Snowball, etc). So its effectiveness in game seems to be drastically less than on paper (where it sounds awesome, quite frankly).

Twilight Shroud, in my experience, isn't nearly as effective in a team fight as it sounds. Combine this with the lack of an actual effective escape mechanic, and Akali, while themically cool, just seems a bit underwhelming, and not a character that, if I were making a team, would want her on.

Number Red

05-19-2010

Akali is about as useful as Tryn, which he isn't.

Seraphim

The Council

05-19-2010

Akali has high damage out put.

I've really seen people shine and do really bad wit her... just like every other hero.

Also, Trynd isn't useless and he shines with a visage and cleanse.

Amadi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
I totally disagree - Akali does very well in team fights. It's all about attacking the right targets at the right time, being mindful of your positioning and using the cloud effectively.
I partially agree.

I have decent W/L ratio with Akali, with somewhere around 12 games played I think I have 4 losses. She can definitely hold her own in teamcombats.

The issue is just that there are superior options. Corki, for example. Akali brings very little that is not brought by another champion: She simply has DPS and a suboptimal AoE slow that increases her survivability from a free kill to a playable champion.

Wocman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somafera View Post
Survivability?

Yes i get Rylai and use red elixirs.

What else i'm supposed to do? Stack sunfire capes or something?

If she can't deal enough damage, she's not a threat.

There's no "good judgment" when a 5v5 fight is going on, you either stay away and no nothing besides throwing a random kama or laying down shroud making it 4v5, or rush in and instantly die during one CC before you even get stealthed once. Even if someone else initiates and soaks the majority of their cooldowns, its still very easy to burst you down.
The build I have come to like with Akali that has been working extremely well and provides great survivability:
AP tome into Soulstealer
Boots into Merc Treads
Pickaxe into Rageblade
(with red pots all the while)

and at this point... if you are doing as many of the senior members are saying and making careful decisions and making sure you go in when you know you have a good chance of winning then you do not need anymore damage for a while. At this point, I start getting:

giant's belt (save for building into sunfire or selling and getting randium's omen)
negatron cloak (save for building into force of nature)

then depending on the enemy team comp I either finish FoN first or Sunfire/RO. After that if the game is still going I go for a little more damage with Lich Bane/IE/Zhonyra's/Rylai's whatever the suits the situation best.

IMO it all comes down to making the right judgement call when the team fight begins that the enemy team either will not focus you, thus you go for their carry and stab them or if I go in and get targeted and die can I deal enough and entrust my team with finishing them off. Once you get that down you are not just cleaning up you can go in right after the team fight has started.

Eh, sorry for the long post. :P

Wocman

05-19-2010

As for the OP's post, I like the idea of having MR instead of armor in TS, armor in TS has never helped me except for my last game against a feed path -.- , but as for the other ideas I think it is providing her too many advantages and unbalances her being that her damage output and juking abilities are so high that if you up her survivability any more then you are pushing her on the OP side.

Although I find the 3rd edit there kind of interesting although once again that might be too OP giving Akali supreme diving rights! :P

Xenova

05-19-2010

I meant of course Tryndamere disagrees in the sense that a Riot employee isn't going to come in and say he thinks their brand new champion is worthless -_-. Kinda a given.

j3ff

05-19-2010

I think all Akali needs is an "unfade" timer of 1-2 seconds for when she leaves the twilight shroud. This would let her avoid aoes better, with a skill component instead of an automatic evade like suggested, and would give her a much more reliable escape by giving her a 1-2 second head start on people waiting around the shroud to get her when it ends.

Djayzere

05-19-2010

To be honest my op is that akali is like the next twitch...

High in damage, very squishy when hit..

Look at twitch, yeah he can run stealthed but if you put a ward down he is like an ant on the floor waiting to be stepped on.

I mainly play jax and ive met my fair share of good akali players, and trust me when they are good players, you suddenly think "Dam, thats OP".

All champions depend on 3/4 things

- Runes
- Player
- Masteries
- How stupid the other team is