Black Screen/BugSplat Crash

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpaceFrog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

It's back.....
Since the Hecarim patch the black screens have returned. I've only had 1 bugsplat. but the black screens are fairly common.

Have updated to the latest Nvidia drivers 296.10 and it has not helped. Have turned down some of the quality settings, hopefully that will lessen the frequency of crashes.

Layorz

05-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
Maybe you should read the thread where it was determined that the issue is with drivers, and not the client.

Unless you'd like yet another complete overhaul of the LoL client, because that didn't cause months of agony for everyone involved....

That doesn't explain the game working fine all week, then not working the next day. Unless you're trying to say my drivers climbed out of my laptop or downgraded themselves, I would hazard a guess that the black screen isn't solely related to driver issues.

supnmu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2012

Just had a black screen in a ranked game earlier today. No crash or bugsplat, it was only a black screen that lasted no more than a couple of seconds.

Windows 7 64-bit
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores (296.10 drivers)

This is a brand new rig (clean install) that is playing over a dozen games with higher requirements than League of Legends just fine. Temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary.

Haven't tried the hack line yet but if it happens again I will give it a try and report back with results.

Snoturky

05-13-2012

I've been getting these for a while too. Freeze for 2-3 seconds, black screen for a few more, and back in game. I don't think I have ever had a real crash, I'm always back in the game after it happens.

Win 7 x64
i7 950
GTX 285 driver 296.10

But I just got one of these without LoL even running. I was watching youtube in Firefox on my secondary monitor. That would seem to support the hypothesis that it's a driver issue and not a LoL problem.

GornNR

05-14-2012

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Core i7 (Quad) no OC @ 2.8ghz
Gigabyte X58 Motherboard
Enermax Infiniti 720W PSU
nVidia 480GTX
2600x1600 resolution

Then (05-12-12 and earlier):
Occasional black screen "flickers" of ~2-5 seconds.
Kernal Recovered pop-up in sys-tray
Only happened in LoL
Typically had both FF and Chrome open, usually FF to run Pandora, Chrome for browsing.
Had not known about [HACKS] workaround
nVidia Drivers from about 6-9 months ago

05-13-12:
Hard Locks, full system lockup and completely unresponsive (caps-lock does not function)
Latest BIOS updated
Fresh Win7 x64 Ult installed
Latest drivers for all hardware
nVidia 296.10 Direct Video Drivers
Fresh LoL Download and Patch
[HACKS] workaround currently not tested

05-14-12:
Moved 480GTX power to second rail on PSU
Added [HACKS] to config
Disabled all sounds except Sound Effects (IE: Announcer, Voices, Etc)
Currently have 3 Co-Ops with no "crashes" but see 2012-05-14_18-41-46_r3dlog.txt

05-15-12
2 more games without issues.

05-15-12
removed [HACKS] from config
Forced antialiasing to NO per the troubleshooting wiki.
Reenabled all sounds.
1st Bot Game had a Black Screen Flicker see attached 2012-05-15_19-30-06_r3dlog
2nd game did not flicker

Before blowing away windows I was having occasionaly black screen (Flicker) issues. I did a full and complete system update and now get total system lockups. Due to system lock-ups there is no mini-dump or log recording of the crash/error.

I have tested several different settings with only resolution being constant. I have not been able to directly cause a lock-up so I am unable to tell if changes are successful. Completely random when it would happen. But when it did, it would come in groupings. Go for several games then in one game lock up more then once.

Ive noticed it is usually in the area of a tower.

Note: My "2012-05-14_18-41-46_r3dlog.txt" file had a stutter around 3:48. I noticed a lot of error finding animations for Leona in there.

Some thoughts to test still:
Disabling nVidia Videocard (HDMI) Sound Drivers
Using Forceware drivers from 3dguru
Specific Charcter(s)

GornNR

05-16-2012

05-16-12
During a Co-Op game I had a Hard Lock. Rebooted, added [HACKS] back in and within a couple minutes hard locked again. This rules out that EndOfFrame line being a successful workaround for me. I have attached the GPU-Z (up to the first crash, did not turn it on the second time) as well as the first and second logs from the same game.

Breng

08-26-2012

With hacks enabled, this is back with a vengeance. Any updates from riot?

The Freakshow

12-24-2012

I am experiencing the same thing. (But I've consistently been experiencing this for well over the last 8 months)

Because of this ****ing issue I have broken many things around my desk. I cannot believe such a powerful graphics card can have an issue like this with only one game.

EVGA 580 GTX
8GB RAM
180 SSD
i7 3930k

All settings of a stellar rig.. yet I get these ****ing black screens at least once a game and it can NEVER be remedied. I opened my box, cleaned it, re-seated everything, but it continues to happen.

I really hope this gets resolved, because my anger is just getting worse each game... =-\

Mavericks

02-04-2013

Massive bump, but adding to this... the 600 series GEFORCE GTX is having problems, i have this happen to me atleat 5 times a game and it's impossible to play.

Only thing that seems to be familiar is that its all Nvidia related.

Using the GEFORCE GTX 660M. Was only crashing once per game previous patch. Now it's anytime i enter teamfight, use abilities that it causes me to crash.

Sonus

02-04-2013

yeah, ever since this most recent season 3 patch, I and many other nvidia 8800 users are having black screen/ graphical flickering.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3080363