Black Screen/BugSplat Crash

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SickMotion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2011

been having the exact same problem, also once it completely locked up my computer in a baby blue blank screen(not blue screen of death looking) made some awful noise and reset itself. Happens about 2-3 times a day, usually in the game changing team fight, please help

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickMotion View Post
been having the exact same problem, also once it completely locked up my computer in a baby blue blank screen(not blue screen of death looking) made some awful noise and reset itself. Happens about 2-3 times a day, usually in the game changing team fight, please help
Upgrade your computer from Windows 3.1

Wait, you don't have Windows 3.1? We would never know because you didn't post logs. Don't ask for help if you're not going to be a part of the solution. Information on where to locate the appropriate logs can be found in this thread.

donkrx

09-07-2011

I wanted to add something... IN GENERAL:

266.58: most stable, worst benchmarks.
275.33: slightly less stable, significantly better benchmarks than 266.58 in 3DMark11 (~ 3-5%)
280.26: least stable, not sure of their performance though.

280.26 crashes more in LoL. 275.33 crashes a lot less for me, and 266.58 has not crashed at all but I only ran a few games. With 275.33 I think I have only crashed 1 time if running MSI Afterburner with constant voltage. Without, I can crash multiple times in one game. Like rapid fire.

My point I wanted to add was that I increased the voltage to 1.038 from stock .988 and that seemed to help. I crashed at 0.988v even with constant voltage (this is my one crash on 275.33 with MSI afterburner on) and got annoyed so I just slid the slider over and hit apply and got back in the game. Seems to help.

I suspect that these changes were done to improve framerates for people on dominion which has a lot of **** going on in it, animated and what not. Hopefully they figure out why the high end systems are crashing more than the lower end systems, who are the ones seeing improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseRamen View Post
Pretty much the same exact scenario as mine. I have my 570 @ 900/2100 1.068v and my i7 at 4.8ghz which I have tested for stability using Prime (13hrs which I stopped as well). I use Afterburner for my overclocks as well. I don't force constant voltage because I like using 2d/3d profiles because I use dual monitors and don't like having the card run at 3d clocks and voltages 24/7

I can run Metro 2033, Crysis, and Unigine loops for overnight (6-7+hrs) without a single issue. I've already stated that in posts before hand though. It seems to me that the people experiencing this issue have higher end rigs. about 90% of the people who have this issue in this post have a gtx 570 or 580.

Whatever they did this patch definitely screwed something up. I also have the loading inaccuracy bug, which I'm not sure if you guys have, but both were introduced to me this patch.
Forcing constant voltage will only force the voltage part (the clocks will downclock regardless unless you force those separate), and only when running a 3D app. If you got just a web browser open with no video you'll be idling low volt low clocks even with forcing constant voltage.

With the 570 card the only thing that might happen is from running voltages above 1.1v (you are more than fine at 1.068) you can possibly blow the VRMs, but it HAS to be a reference card, and even under both those conditions it is rare. The reason is that reference 570s have 4+2 phase power instead of the 6+2 in the 580s or the 570 non-reference (you can tell by the PCI-e connector, if its 8 pin then its 6+2) and it sometimes isn't able to meet the demand of 1.1v+. I wouldn't worry about it at all with 1.068v because I've never heard of anyone having a problem at that voltage.

Personally I'm more worried running my i5 2500k at constant voltage all day (which a lot of people like to do) because mine's at 1.47v on load for 4.9ghz at the moment. Still gotta run the test one more time but last time I made it 10 hours and upped the voltage afterwards, so I think its good now.

Fatwa

09-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
I wanted to add something... IN GENERAL:

266.58: most stable, worst benchmarks.
275.33: slightly less stable, significantly better benchmarks than 266.58 in 3DMark11 (~ 3-5%)
280.26: least stable, not sure of their performance though.

280.26 crashes more in LoL. 275.33 crashes a lot less for me, and 266.58 has not crashed at all but I only ran a few games. With 275.33 I think I have only crashed 1 time if running MSI Afterburner with constant voltage. Without, I can crash multiple times in one game. Like rapid fire.

My point I wanted to add was that I increased the voltage to 1.038 from stock .988 and that seemed to help. I crashed at 0.988v even with constant voltage (this is my one crash on 275.33 with MSI afterburner on) and got annoyed so I just slid the slider over and hit apply and got back in the game. Seems to help.

I suspect that these changes were done to improve framerates for people on dominion which has a lot of **** going on in it, animated and what not. Hopefully they figure out why the high end systems are crashing more than the lower end systems, who are the ones seeing improvements.

Forcing constant voltage will only force the voltage part (the clocks will downclock regardless unless you force those separate), and only when running a 3D app. If you got just a web browser open with no video you'll be idling low volt low clocks even with forcing constant voltage.

With the 570 card the only thing that might happen is from running voltages above 1.1v (you are more than fine at 1.068) you can possibly blow the VRMs, but it HAS to be a reference card, and even under both those conditions it is rare. The reason is that reference 570s have 4+2 phase power instead of the 6+2 in the 580s or the 570 non-reference (you can tell by the PCI-e connector, if its 8 pin then its 6+2) and it sometimes isn't able to meet the demand of 1.1v+. I wouldn't worry about it at all with 1.068v because I've never heard of anyone having a problem at that voltage.

Personally I'm more worried running my i5 2500k at constant voltage all day (which a lot of people like to do) because mine's at 1.47v on load for 4.9ghz at the moment. Still gotta run the test one more time but last time I made it 10 hours and upped the voltage afterwards, so I think its good now.

The whole, "it's only crashed one time", I've gone numerous games without a crash, and then crashed several in a row. Some people also report that turning off shadows or decreasing shadows will decrease your rate of crashes.

Hohums is on the case, they've got a theory that I assume they're currently exploring based on the information we've been able to provide. What we do know is that the driver failure is specifically related to a massive spike in GPU Load, Memory Controller Load, and Video Engine Load, and by massive I mean going from 15% to 99% on the GPU, from and from 0% to 280% in the Video Engine Load.

CstarRage

09-07-2011

I also have been getting these crashes recently where it says video driver failed and the symptoms you have listed are the same as mine. Over the last 50 so games I probably crashed over 6 times. I am using the same graphics card as well (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580).

Soller

09-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CstarRage View Post
I also have been getting these crashes recently where it says video driver failed and the symptoms you have listed are the same as mine. Over the last 50 so games I probably crashed over 6 times. I am using the same graphics card as well (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580).
Post your logs! Guide on how to find them: http://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20076987

I've rolled my drivers back to version 260.85 as other people have suggested and didn't have a single issue for about 2 days.

GloriousGlory

09-08-2011

Any update on this hohums? I know a lot of people haven't been posting logs, but I think there have been enough replies here to verify it's definitely an issue.

Fatwa has been really helpful in troubleshooting and recreating the driver crash. Hopefully that has been enough for you to diagnose the issue.

hohums

Software Engineer

09-08-2011
4 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
Hohums has indicated that changes were made on Riot's end, that might be interacting poorly with existing drivers of specific cards. I'm personally waiting for additional input from Riot before getting too bent out of shape.
Unfortunately I don't have anything further to report on this front.

I do have a question though. It appears that some of you are reporting crashes while others just get the black screen?

hohums

Software Engineer

09-08-2011
5 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseRamen View Post
Fatwa has been really helpful in troubleshooting and recreating the driver crash. Hopefully that has been enough for you to diagnose the issue.
I'm going to submit this to QA to see if they can reproduce it.

hohums

Software Engineer

09-08-2011
6 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFrog View Post
Also have you discussed the issue with Nvidia? I can't remember what game it was, but some developers had an issue and Nvidia sent guys over right away to help them out. It might have something to do with Nvidia sponsorship, which may not go down too well since you already have AMD as a sponsor. But I'm curious to know.
We do this as well... Although we'd need to be able to reproduce the issue first before we'd ask for additional help. However if we can reproduce it we can normally resolve the issue ourselves.