Desolation (ArP will still be OP) 32 29.91%
Alacrity (AS) 12 11.21%
Strength (AD) 9 8.41%
Malice (C.Rate) 44 41.12%
Furor (C.Dmg) 6 5.61%
Others (Caster? HP? Armor?) 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

[Poll]Place your bet on new OP mark rune

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morinav

05-17-2010

Attack speed or crit chance depending on the character.

Gold values and relative worth for the physical runes is going to be a lot closer than before, and phys characters will actually have more than 1 option. Pure AD is still garbage.

Crit damage is going to become even more niche.

Morinav

05-17-2010

For those curious, I ran some numbers on the runes.

A full page of aspd runes gives 38.1% increased attack speed. In terms of gold value, that's almost equal to a Recurve Bow. Not too shabby!

A full page of crit chance runes gives 20.25% increased crit. In terms of gold value, that's a bit more than a Cloak of Agility. A little cheaper, but still good!

Let's take a look at our old pal Tryndamere. At level 1, his attack speed is 0.637. For sake of argument, I'm going to make his base damage 50 (I think it's actually closer to 60).

Using the full pages and assuming that you attack for 100 seconds non-stop, the raw damage output would look something like:

Base: 3185
Attack Speed: 4365
Crit: 3829

Showing that attack speed is going to have quite the edge (of course, Tryndie has a lot of secondary crit benefits, but we're not considering those for now. Pretend he's champion Joe Average).

However, who honestly runs a full rune page of just attack speed/crit? Not too many characters (Trynd might actually run pure crit chance). I know personally I reserve marks for armor pen and put other stuff elsewhere. Let's look at what would happen if we just filled up marks with attack speed versus crit chance.

Same scenario, less runes.

Attack Speed: 15.3% increase. A little more than a dagger.
Crit: 8.37%. A little more than brawler's gloves.

I think they're about even on gold value, very close at least.

Attack speed damage: 3660
Crit damage: 3451.58

This time the numbers are a lot closer. It seems that marks are a bit more favorably weighted for crit chance versus attack speed. Crit chance runes seem to drop off pretty fast outside of marks, but attack speed seems to fare a bit better (perhaps since the percentage for a single aspd mark is much greater than a crit chance mark).

Moral of the story is they both seem to be good choices, especially if you're only getting marks. In fact, it might not be a bad idea to mix the two, get crit % marks and aspd % seals or something. More aspd = more attacks = more chances to crit, after all.

Volpes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2010

Crit chance IMO. The Armor Pen will be less useful after the diminishing returns are applied. And Crit chance will be more useful after they reduce the base Crit chance. I'll wait and see what other more experienced players figure out after the changes.

DonkeyBalls

05-17-2010

I'm voting attack damage. Why? Reason 1: Because if they nerf the best they gotta buff the worst too, amiright? Reason 2: RIOT wants money; no one has AD runes; hence, massive sales of new OP runes.

PuppetSoul

05-17-2010

The new pen formula basically destroys tanks. 2000 gold for the carry counters 7530 gold for the tank. And carries farm a hell of a lot faster.

So with penetration change to the point where nobody can mitigate more than ~40% of the damage regardless of how much armor/magres they stack, and nobody will soak less than ~20% thanks to the same mechanic change, the game is obviously going to turn towards stacking HP and farming carries.

So basically the game is picking Jax.

So crit chance is probably the best remaining laning option, although none of them are particularly stellar.

CounterCraft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2010

Took 6 months to actually nerf armor pen to rebump this thread