leaving a game should not prevent you from joining another

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lockedbob

Senior Member

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I think you guys are missing the OP's point. It's that when you leave, you're taken to a screen where the only option is to rejoin the game you just left. I agree that this is, well, bad. Simply give another button under 'reconnect' to leave the game and go back to the home screen and this problem is solved.

Or for those with these problems, leave the game, close the game, and restart the game. Problem solved.

That is the whole point behind the idea... You leave a game you are FORCED to look at the reconnect to the game. If you disconnect when you return you should get back in-game and help the people who need you. Nobody cares about you friends or whatever. When you join a game people expect you to give 100% of your dedication to that particular match... If you think this sounds cheesy host your own practice game with the title "I might **** you over in 10 minutes cuz my friends might join. Come on everyone join my game!!!"
Let me know how many people want to play with a man like you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teirdome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-16-2009

The OP's point is that he wants to be able to ruin others experience to improve his own. That's all.

The two issues are actually the same scenario, someone leaves a game. This shouldn't be fixed imo, but knowing Riot they will.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mal3vol3nc3

Senior Member

09-16-2009

this feature is one of the main reasons i love league of legends


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCrAb

Member

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockedbob View Post
That is the whole point behind the idea... You leave a game you are FORCED to look at the reconnect to the game. If you disconnect when you return you should get back in-game and help the people who need you. Nobody cares about you friends or whatever. When you join a game people expect you to give 100% of your dedication to that particular match... If you think this sounds cheesy host your own practice game with the title "I might **** you over in 10 minutes cuz my friends might join. Come on everyone join my game!!!"
Let me know how many people want to play with a man like you.
That line shows that your point of view is from the perspective of a player that is not leaving .. in a controversial issue like this, it is critical that you look at all sides.

You are also not addressing the issue in the case where the player simply has to go, because of stuff going on at home (curfew, somebody else needs to use the computer, etc)

Put in That's why i suggested they use an "Idle Hero" list to categorize games.

Sometimes these responses put me under the impression that you do not read the entire post before posting your opinion on this. You MUST look at this from all possible angles, not just from the perspective of a player who has no responsibilities at home.

In the italic part, you certainly cannot expect someone to do that in an online game, that is not realistic. What is happening locally is ALWAYS more important than LoL.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

taranu

Junior Member

09-16-2009

I think if you would drop a lvl when leaving the game , would not be so many Leaves... but it is up to you ... just an idea


with love, TARANU`


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cpsubrian

Member

09-16-2009

The Idle Hero list is not a good idea IMO, and is way too hard to implement. I'd rather have RioT working on a million other things than this.

This issue does not really have a good answer. The nature of MOBA, is that you are playing a mini-rpg. This is what makes leavers an issue. With FPS type games, and even MMORPGs people can come and go and the general state of play is maintained. There may be a slight wait time, or the tide may turn in the favor of the team who is a man up, but the game carries on. MOBAs are unique in that each game is its own little campaign and a 5 min D/C, or a dropped player can spell disaster. No one likes to lose and no one likes to waste their time. That is why the OPs situation is lose-lose. No system could really solve the problem.

For the other players on the team him leaving is terrible. Their chances of winning have dropped significantly, although its not impossible. For him, having to continue to play the current game is keeping him from being able to enjoy the game with friends. For some of you, waiting 30-40 mins may not seem like a big deal, but for some of us, our entire play session is 2 hours. And maybe only a couple nights a week at that. Add to the fact that the friend may be similarly limited in his play time. So if you had a choice to ruin a game for 9 other people, but get to play an epic game with your friends that maybe only happens once a week, or, sit through the current game and miss or delay that chance, what are you gonna pick?

We know the OP's answer, and we know that everyone's answers will vary.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCrAb

Member

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsubrian View Post
The Idle Hero list is not a good idea IMO, and is way too hard to implement. I'd rather have RioT working on a million other things than this.

This issue does not really have a good answer (This is the main issue here, there is no answer. we can only choose what is best. The only thing that is clear is that the two obvious choices Force-reconnect leavers and no force, is NOT AN OPTION. We must think of something that will benefit both sides, not just the players who are staying). The nature of MOBA, is that you are playing a mini-rpg. This is what makes leavers an issue. With FPS type games, and even MMORPGs people can come and go and the general state of play is maintained. There may be a slight wait time, or the tide may turn in the favor of the team who is a man up, but the game carries on. MOBAs are unique in that each game is its own little campaign and a 5 min D/C, or a dropped player can spell disaster (This gave me an idea. How about, when a player leaves, the game is paused and a vote starts on the opposite team so the team can decide which teammate to..suspend until the leaver returns .. via the reconnect. If the leaver does not return, than the suspended player can leave with no penalties or restrictions. If this is used, hosts should have the option to toggle this before the game is hosted). No one likes to lose and no one likes to waste their time. That is why the OPs situation is lose-lose. No system could really solve the problem.

For the other players on the team him leaving is terrible. Their chances of winning have dropped significantly, although its not impossible. For him, having to continue to play the current game is keeping him from being able to enjoy the game with friends. For some of you, waiting 30-40 mins may not seem like a big deal, but for some of us, our entire play session is 2 hours. And maybe only a couple nights a week at that. Add to the fact that the friend may be similarly limited in his play time. So if you had a choice to ruin a game for 9 other people, but get to play an epic game with your friends that maybe only happens once a week, or, sit through the current game and miss or delay that chance, what are you gonna pick? (I haven't thought of the time limits, since I'm not limited on my computer time, but you are right about this one. If anything, this is the greatest argument as to why the whole reconnect thing should be removed completely, or compensated in some way. Also, you did not explain why the Idle Hero Idea is bad, difficulty in implementing it is not something that should hold anybody back)

We know the OP's answer, and we know that everyone's answers will vary.
s


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoxDissident

The Council

09-16-2009

I do understand Nonpareil's issue. Sometimes I find that I'm in a hopeless situation, in a losing game where two of our players have fed and 30 minutes into the game one of them is 1/10 with 1 assist and the other is 0 and 12 with 0 assists. For some reason, even at this point, they will refuse to surrender because they feel inclined to watch themselves get ganked nonstop with no chance of victory so that they can watch their base get demolished. How do you make new players understand that the game is over and that continuing is a waste of time? Why should a veteran player be forced to waste their time so that a newbie can have a "learning experience"?

That being said, I do like the leaver system. There's no reason a player should be allowed to leave a game prematurely unless they have to go do something else, go to sleep, their parent pulled their internet cables out at 2:00 AM, etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Achenar

Senior Member

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCrAb View Post
That line shows that your point of view is from the perspective of a player that is not leaving .. in a controversial issue like this, it is critical that you look at all sides.

You are also not addressing the issue in the case where the player simply has to go, because of stuff going on at home (curfew, somebody else needs to use the computer, etc)
If a player has to leave in order to do something - curfew, to let someone else use the computer, etc - they're unlikely to be back on within the span of the game anyway. Why does anything need to be changed for this situation?
Unexpected things come up, yes - halfway through a game with the boyfriend the other day, we got a phone call informing us of a death in the family - but as a general rule if you have a curfew, dinner's in ten minutes, etc - you shouldn't be starting a game and you should be penalised in some way by screwing your team over by playing and leaving.

The points people have raised against an idle champion system are good ones, which hadn't occurred to me - given that, it's probably right for the system to remain as is (unless we can find some better way to penalise leavers).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCrAb

Member

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsubrian View Post

For the other players on the team him leaving is terrible. Their chances of winning have dropped significantly, although its not impossible. For him, having to continue to play the current game is keeping him from being able to enjoy the game with friends. For some of you, waiting 30-40 mins may not seem like a big deal, but for some of us, our entire play session is 2 hours. And maybe only a couple nights a week at that. Add to the fact that the friend may be similarly limited in his play time. So if you had a choice to ruin a game for 9 other people, but get to play an epic game with your friends that maybe only happens once a week, or, sit through the current game and miss or delay that chance, what are you gonna pick?
What about that issue?. Assume that you are limited in your computer time, you are not expecting the possibility that your friends will log on, so you join a game. Suddenly your friends come on and you want to play LoL with them. Unfortunately, by the time the current game is done, your time will be up( Or so little left that a reasonable game is not possible). Consider that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achenar
If a player has to leave in order to do something - curfew, to let someone else use the computer, etc - they're unlikely to be back on within the span of the game anyway. Why does anything need to be changed for this situation?
Unexpected things come up, yes - halfway through a game with the boyfriend the other day, we got a phone call informing us of a death in the family - but as a general rule if you have a curfew, dinner's in ten minutes, etc - you shouldn't be starting a game and you should be penalised in some way by screwing your team over by playing and leaving.
Those examples will prevent you from returning within the span of the game, yes. You are still not addressing the fact that this is not fair for the playing players. The person has still left and will not return, the tide of the game has still been affected.

Also, not all situations will stop you from returning during the game span. Sometimes I have to take out the trash, and we have so much trash that it takes a long time to get everything. I still return during the game, but my hero is still level 3 while everybody else is one 16-17.

As for the underlined portion, most people do not adhere to that. And mostly, people don't care about it. They simply want to kill off some time before they have to go. Or they expected the game to last half an hour, but such a stalemate occurred that it became an hour and they did not calculate that possibility.