leaving a game should not prevent you from joining another

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCrAb

09-15-2009

This is a highly controversial issue, how about we make a compromise and create a match option where the host can toggle this feature. And this setting should be visible in the game list. That way, if someone is waiting for a friend, they can join one of the games that are not restricted by this.

And... if that doesn't satisfy anybody .. make it so games that have it toggled off have absolutely no effect on your record, exp, etc.

Edit: and idea has occurred to me

Make it so when a player leaves when this is toggled off, the hero is teleported to starting point and the game becomes visible in a "Games in Progress" Game list. That way, somebody else can take over the hero.

This games in progress game list, (or even better, "IDLE HERO LIST") should have the Hero Type, Level, Match Duration, and the average level of all other players

The Level and Average Levels can tell players the situation of the idle hero before they join the game.
(EX, if the Level is far below the average, that means the player probably left cuz it was hopeless .. probably a newb)
(EX, if the two values are the same or close, then there is a good chance that the player left because he simply had to go or the whole buddy business occured.)

In my opinion, this is a better idea than restricting the leaving thing.

Achenar

09-15-2009

The penalty for leavers is the only thing that makes playing games tolerable. DotA is filled with leaving bull****; even here, in the last fourteen games my boyfriend has played, only TWO have not had a leaver on his team (many of which his team has still won, so it's not that the games were a foregone conclusion). And that's even with the penalty. Without it, it'd be far worse.

Why should you get to ruin a game for NINE other players, just so you can play with your friends?

That said, I would like a feature to allow people to join an existing game which someone has left, although I suspect there'd have to be some reward for it (higher IP gain for a win?). But if anything the penalty for leavers should be more severe, not less.

DeathCrAb

09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achenar View Post
The penalty for leavers is the only thing that makes playing games tolerable. DotA is filled with leaving bull****; even here, in the last fourteen games my boyfriend has played, only TWO have not had a leaver on his team (many of which his team has still won, so it's not that the games were a foregone conclusion). And that's even with the penalty. Without it, it'd be far worse.

Why should you get to ruin a game for NINE other players, just so you can play with your friends?

That said, I would like a feature to allow people to join an existing game which someone has left, although I suspect there'd have to be some reward for it (higher IP gain for a win?). But if anything the penalty for leavers should be more severe, not less.
Exactly what I said

Demandred

09-15-2009

I don't know how I'd feel about that. If someone leaves, they may have just been d/ced and are going to reconnect, only to have their place taken. We could be about to win and have someone join which would be fail cuz they don't deserve a reward from our hard work.

Cantor

09-15-2009

Having another player take someone's place SEEMS like a good idea, and sometimes it might be, but first, it ruins the matchmaking system, unless considerable restrictions were put in place so that a joining player would have to have an ELO close to that of the leaving player. And second,.. well Demandred just said the second reason. (the part about having your computer crash and not being able to return to your game because someone else took your place is particularly important)

Zenax

09-15-2009

Your scenarios are just ways to runaway and hide from losing..... If they really are your friends they wouldn't mind waiting 40 minutes for you.

Azriel

09-15-2009

If you have to play with your friends so much that you plan to leave a game if they come online, then just wait for them to come online to begin with.

I understand the second option, occasionally I will come across people who outright refuse to surrender forcing people to finish out a doomed game. This is especially annoying when they go AFK for the remainder of the game...it does happen but atleast it isnt often and relaxing the rules for a few select situations does not seem very wise to me.

DeathCrAb

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenax View Post
Your scenarios are just ways to runaway and hide from losing..... If they really are your friends they wouldn't mind waiting 40 minutes for you.
If they really are my friends, I will still leave, we will begin playing another game (like warcraft or something), and return to LoL only when the restriction is passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantor
(the part about having your computer crash and not being able to return to your game because someone else took your place is particularly important)
You can make the system hold the place if there is a disconnect, and have the player decide if he wants to continue the game or leave it permanently when he reconnects again

If the player doesn't reconnect within a reasonable amount of time, then the system should automatically make the hero available in the idle list. (people might simply have to go, or they got bored of the game, and decided to do something else, or they want to rebel against this restriction, or whatever other reasons there might be that will prevent them from rejoining)

Cobalt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-16-2009

I think you guys are missing the OP's point. It's that when you leave, you're taken to a screen where the only option is to rejoin the game you just left. I agree that this is, well, bad. Simply give another button under 'reconnect' to leave the game and go back to the home screen and this problem is solved.

Or for those with these problems, leave the game, close the game, and restart the game. Problem solved.

Xagur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithyr View Post
Nonpareil: Yay, they removed the leaving penalty. [Left last game to play with friend]
Nonpareil's Friend: Nice.

-Game Starts-

Teamate 1: Sorry, my friend just logged on. [Leaves]
Teamate 2: Same here, sorry. [Leaves]
Teamate 3: WTF? [Leaves]
Nonpareil: ...

Rinse and Repeat.

Word

123456 ... 7