Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Pantheon, "By The Power of Grayskull!"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sentient 6

05-15-2010

Intro.

Pantheon is my main choice as my dps carry, mostly because the other melee carries around tend to be a little bit to faceroll or uninteresting to play. I have played a decent amount of games with Panth and have gotten, in my opinion, pretty good at him. This guide is my attempt to share my play style and get some more decent panth players out there.

(this guide is made for the newest patch, v1.0.0.94 , with the buffs to HSS, SS, and the bug fix for HSS)

Also I named this guide in honor of the He-Man skin….because seriously….couldn’t do another 300 quote

Champion Info.

Stats:

X Health 420 (+85 / per level)
X Mana 210 (+34 / per level)
X Move Speed 330
X Armor 16.2 (+3.9 / per level)
X Spell Block 30 (+1.25 / per level)
X Critical Strike 2.1 (+0.35 / per level)
X Health Regen 1.35 (+0.13 / per level)
X Mana Regen 0.82 (+0.05 / per level)

Abilities:

Passive - Aegis Protection - After attacking or casting spells 4 times, Pantheon will block the next normal attack that deals more than 40 damage to him.

Q - Spear Shot - Pantheon hurls his spear at an opponent dealing 30/40/50/60/70 + 100/115/130/145/160 percent of his attack in physical damage.

Cooldown: 4/4/4/4/4 seconds
Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 Mana
Range: 600

W - Aegis of Zeonia - Pantheon leaps at the target enemy champion and deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+1) magic damage and stuns them for 1 second. Pantheon also instantly refreshes his Aegis Protection.

Cooldown: 20/17.5/15/12.5/10 seconds
Cost: 70/70/70/70/70 Mana
Range: 600

E - Heartseeker Strike - Passive: Pantheon gains 100% critical strike chance against targets below 15% of their max health.

Active: Pantheon focuses and deals 5 swift strikes in front of him for 6/9/12/15/18 + 20/25/30/35/40% of his weapon damage in physical damage per strike. This attack deals double damage to champions.

Cooldown: 26/24/22/20/18 seconds
Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 Mana
Range: 400

R - Grand Skyfall - Pantheon gathers his strength and then leaps high into the air, crashing down at the target area a few seconds later. Deals up to 400/700/1000 (+1) magic damage to units at the center (down to 33% at the edge) and slows them by 35% for 1 second.

Cooldown: 150/135/120 seconds
Cost: 150/250/350 Mana
Range: Global

Champion Discussed.

Pantheon is a melee carry with a lot of potential. His Q ability is one of the best early harassing abilities in the game, second only to zileans bomb in my opinion, its scalable damage, extremely low CD and dirt cheap mana cost make it amazing.

His W is an awesome ability that allows him to close distance as well as stun opponents; it also allows you to keep people in position for your E channel and is great when landing your ult, and also this ability auto activates your passive giving you a free 1hit shield (phys damage only).

E is great because it gives you 2 things; an awesome channel spell that hits multiple targets, and is an amazing farming tool, and a passive that allows you guaranteed crits on enemy below 15% hp (also this ability used to be on a seriously long cd, but thanks to the latest patch this has been shortened making this ability much more effective).

Pantheons ult has long been the target of much ridicule, it’s previously long cd, long channel, terrible accuracy, and high mana cost have pretty much made it one of the least effective ults in the game. However that is in the past and this ult has finally been tuned up and made effective. Before last patch Pantheons ult required one to use summoner spells during the channel to hit anyone, thankfully this has been remedied. The bug that allowed the use of summoner spells during that channel has now been fixed, and to make up for this, GS received multiple buffs in the form of decreased cooldown time and decreased landing time (2.0 seconds reduced to 1.5 seconds). These changes allow for Pantheon to have much higher accuracy with his ult, as well as use it much more frequently, making it viable to be used as a teleport, farming tool, escape mechanism, ganking manuever, along with an effective initiate and aoe nuke (on a side note, GS can be canceled during the initial channel, before the green circle appears, this will result in a 10 second CD penalty).

Pantheons passive allows him to receive a 1hit shield (phys dmg only) every 4 attacks, this ability helps mitigate damage and is also fantastic for tower diving.

PROS
Pantheon has very high damage output, very fast base MS, a stun, nuke, aoe damage, and passive damage mitigation.

CONS
Pantheon has negatives in the form of, long cooldowns, low HP, low mana, and high mana reliance.

Pregame Setup.

Summoner Spells:

SS are always up to the player and can vary depending on team setup so without pointing out any must haves I will discuss all available options (yes wall of texts are fun).

Having said that my top choices are [Exhaust + Ghost] previously I went with Flash, but since the change to his ult no longer requires it to be effective, I find ghost to be a better escape/ chasing mechanism.

Exhaust: This is an amazing ability that can help with chasing, escaping, ganking, and 1on1 fighting. It slows, blinds, (and with the Mastery) lowers enemy mitigation. Also, since Pantheon lacks an effective slow, this ability adds yet another edge to our spear wielding friend.

Ghost: A fantastic escape and chasing mechanism, this is great because, besides high base MS, Pantheon can't escape or disengage very effectively

Flash: An alternative to ghost, this allows you to get close enough to stun in the blink of an eye, and can be used as a “get out of fail” free card, I prefer ghost mostly because as an actual escape mechanism this losses its effectiveness fairly soon unless you can jump through some trees. Ghost covers more distance and can chase people down more effectively.

Heal: This ability can be very useful due to Pantheons tendancy to take a ton of damage combined with his low health pool, I usually recommend heal for beginners trying to learn a champion or support heroes, I deal with Health through pots and usually don’t recommend this ability for higher ELO play.

Ignite: This is an awesome ability no matter who you play, you will complete many more kills with this ability and it can be used to stop healers and lifestealers, so it is always a viable option.

Cleanse: This is a fantastic ability due to the many exhaust and ignite users, always a viable option that is sure to save your ass on more than one occasion.

Rally: I tend to move around a lot and normally don’t get rally for any hero unless im supporting or jungling, this has it’s uses but I don’t get it on pantheon.

Smite: This is for junglers, pantheon has too much laning potential to waste killing creeps.

Fortify: Not for a carry, this is best left to supports

Revive: Please never get this, pretty much ever.

Clarity: Pantheons main weakness is his mana so I can’t really discourage use of clarity, however I supplement with potions instead so I do not ever go clarity with him

Teleport: With the new and improved lower CD GS, Panth already has a teleport.

Clairvoyance: Leave this spell for the support. Having more than 1 clairvoyance on a team is a waste and it should not be picked up by the carry.

Masteries:

I go for 21/9/0, this gives me ungodly amounts of damage and some nice survivability, 9/21/0 is also viable if you prefer survivability to damage.

(Panths ult does magic damage so grabbing the 15% magic pen is a good idea)

Runes:

Mark: Armor Pen
Seal: Dodge
Glyph: CDR
Quintessence: HP

ArPen is really the only viable Mark option, as it always beats out Crit Damage for dps and Crit % is covered by HSS. Dodge is imo the best Seal choice, and when combined with Panths passive it helps make up for his low HP. CDR is the only option for Glyphs because everyone of Panths spells, besides Q, are on long CDs. HP Quints make up for Pantheons low starting HP, and Pantheon already has awesome base MS.

The In-Game Guide.

Starting lane? Pantheon is amazing in any lane, he is an awesome solo and an even better partner, and no matter what anyone tells you, Pantheon is a very effective mid solo (Q makes him better than most range champs).

Skill Build:

LvL 1 – SS [Q]
LvL 2 – AoZ [W]
LvL 3 – HSS [E]
LvL 4 - SS [Q]
LvL 5- HSS [E]
LvL 6 - GS [R]

After LvL 6 you should work on building SS [Q] and HSS [E] leveling up GS [R] whenever it is available, leave AoZ [W] until you’ve maxed everything else.

Explanation:

SS and HSS are Pantheons main damage dealing options, they scale well early and therefore should be maxed first. SS is very effective early game and beats out early autoattacking by a long shot, as the game progresses it becomes more of a killshot finishing move. GS is an ult and therefore is only available at certain levels so get it when it is available. The reason for leaving AoZ at level 1 is because the stun it provides is static for all levels, and the damage increase scales badly so leaving its higher ranks until late game is fine.

Item Build:

Summarized:

1. Phage
2. Berserkers/Mercury Treads
3. Last Whisper
[Optional] Sword of the Occult/Brutalizer
4. Starks
5. Bloodthirster
6. Frozen Mallet
7. Infinity Edge

Optional – Sword of the Occult, Second Bloodthirster, Banshees Veil, Guardian Angel, Youmuus Ghostblade, Executioners Calling (if you are dealing with healers), Sword of the Divine (to counter jax).

Detailed:

Starting Items – Long Sword + HP Pot. This is the best start I have found, it gives you starting damage and health regen for the first laning phase.

Early Game – Get boots and Ruby Crystal first, next upgrade to phage and when you have the gold upgrade either to Zerker or Mercury Treads (choose Zerker if your opponents don’t have much disables or magic damage, if they do then go Mercury). Get Health and Mana pots regularly (I usually have 3 of each on me for most of the game).

Mid Game - Get LW first, since all of Panths damage is physical Armor Pen is a must and the Atk Spd allows you to activate your passive more often offering more damage mitigation. Next announce you are getting starks (It is a unique passive therefore it is ill-advised to have more than one on your team) if no one else is getting it or has started it then move on to making it, if someone else has it covered either move straight to BT or pick one of the optional items.

[Optional: Due to the recent damage nerf to LW I have added SotO as optional to get after LW, this will provide extra damage one might find missing between LW and Starks. Do not get SotO unless you feel you can maintain stacks. Also Brutalizer can be taken, instead of SotO, to fill the same role. Brutalizer is a safer choice and also builds naturally into YGB.]

Late Game - Bloodthirster is the best melee carry item in the game if you don’t die constantly, and with Pantheons HSS farming capabilities, you should have no problem getting stacks. After BT upgrade your phage to Frozen Mallet. Once that is all done, and the game somehow is still going on, get Infinity Edge.

Gameplay.

Early Game:

Play aggressively; early game Pantheon is a beast no matter which lane you pick or which partner you have. You should be harassing constantly with your Spear Shot, with its high damage and low mana cost you can seriously hurt your enemies and your high base MS should allow you to out maneuver your foes. If you end up getting something along the lines of 2 ranged/nukers and find yourself getting harassed simply sit back and use your SS to last hit creeps and wait for an opportunity. Pick up AoZ at level 2 and try for a kill if the opportunity arises, with your SS harassing, your enemies should be low in HP, simply stun, SS, Exhaust and if needed ghost and chase them down toss a final SS for the kill. By the time you hit level 3 you should have 1 rank in all of your abilities, if you have yet to get a kill now is your chance, pantheons main 3 hit combo can absolutely destroy most heroes early game, AoZ, HSS, SS, Exhaust, SS = GG. I always try for at least 2 kills before early game is over, but if you find your matchup to be one of the more difficult ones then don’t hesitate to sit back and last hit creeps biding your time. Keep a good amount of pots on you, both HP and MP.

Mid Game:

This is the time when you should work on dominating the game, with a half decent early game, pantheon can annihilate mid game. Ganking is the way to go, and with his new and improved ulti you no longer actually need to work on positioning beforehand. Simply keep an eye on the map and if you see an opportunity arise then jump right in, soon as you land activate your classic 3 hit combo, exhaust and ghost if you have them. You should rack up some nice kills in this phase, but in between them you should work on farming what you can, HSS is great for clearing creep waves, and the great thing about pantheon is he can go from farming and be knees deep in a team fight 3.5 sec later. Remember; map awareness is key, keep an eye on everything happening, if you see a 1v1 fight, feel free to jump in and put the odds more in your favour. If your team is engaging; your ulti can absolutely turn the tide of a team fight, pick your target while your ulti is on channel and get ready to unload once you land. If you see a team fight in the making (but no one wants to engage) then activate your ulti and offer 2 or 3 rapid pings to let your team know that you’re about to do something crazy. Most decent players will get the cue and disable some for the kill. Cement your place at the top of the game, get kills where you can, try not to ulti into a suicidal position.

Late Game:

At this point you should have the kills you need to dominate the game and truly “carry” your team. If you haven’t been doing well in the kill area; then by this time you should still have most of your items from farming. You and your team should be pushing the other team hard, make use of your ult to help with this, landing right on top of the defenders and offering all hell on them. If you see something on your side getting pushed, or backdoored, simply ult in and have them run back to their base with their tails between their legs. With almost all of your items you should out-dps pretty much any hero in the game and with FM, and your passive, you should have enough survivability to take out any assassin who wants to play. Work with your team in this phase, take out towers, inhibitors and finish the game with a smile on your face.

Conclusion.

Pantheon is no longer a “bottom-tier” or “over-shadowed” hero, he can easily hold his own. His amazing damage output, scalable abilities, high map presence and fast movement speed make him a force to be reckoned with. Get your kills, farm your stacks, use your pots and always remember….He-Man skin is the only way to play the Artisan of War. (It is also important to remember to type [in all caps] "I HAVE THE POWER!" when landing your ult) ("FOR DIO!" is also acceptable....RIP Dio \m/ )

This being my first guide; toss me some constructive criticism. I realize that it may feel a bit rushed, mostly because I wrote this in one draft while the server was down, so I’ll go back over it at a later time and tidy it up a bit. I will also try and keep it up to date with the newest version of the game. Hope I made at least one person want to try Panth or improved someone’s game.

If people found this useful; Anivia, Shen, Shaco guides incoming.

~ Sentient

AegisReflector

05-15-2010

SS scales well?

Are we playing the same game here?

ForumDyss

05-15-2010

Quote:
DJMeow:
SS scales well?

Imo 140% of attack damage is nice for a ranged spell. What's wrong with the way it scales? Explain yourself when you have found something to nag about please.

flip1

05-15-2010

Quote:
DJMeow:
SS scales well?

This IS the HoN forums no?

Recently

05-15-2010

I get his point, SS is pretty weak. 1, its a physical attack so its damage gets reduced more than you're typical harass nuke. 2. Since it relies on you're AD, its incredibly weak until you're farmed alot of damage.

Lets say you have AD which is more than you will have at the low levels. lvl 1 SS will deal 130 (before armor reduction) and lvl 2 SS will deal 150. This is a very tiny increase per level relative other nuke spells on other heroes (that typically increase by at least 50 damage per level).

SS is pretty weak, the only saving grace is that its CD is very low. Even so, I usually max out the other 2 skills, and only place 1 point in SS early for some harassing or last ditch spear at a fleeing opponent.

AegisReflector

05-15-2010

Quote:
ForumDyss:
Imo 140% of attack damage is nice for a ranged spell. What's wrong with the way it scales? Explain yourself when you have found something to nag about please.

Something to nag about: I'd rather be able to use my stun twice in a teamfight than hit them with a dinky little spear.

I thought the exact way this guide went, build AD, some slow on-hit items and gank. I maxed Q first, grabbed one level of W and E before 6 and got ulti at 7. I thought "man, Q is going to be really good to harass with" but it scales with AD, and you need a lot of it in order for it to be even any more viable than 2 auto attacks, while maxed. It's not something you should use while they are right in front of you. The majority of people's opinion's from what i've seen is that it's a good thing for chasing runners, but not much else. Is it worth maxing over HSS? I don't know, but i'd rather take that than max spear first, at least.

Another thing is that pantheon is definately a ganking champion, how do you expect to deal with the enemy if they move together, especially if you have a 1 second stun with a 20 second CD and an cone aoe which will do a grand total of 140 damage at level 8?

I'm all open for listening to anyone who has done their part in teamfights as pantheon but if you're just going to say "gank people all game long until late game where you have a billion AD" then it's kind of hard to put games that pantheon is in to perspective.

Sentient 6

05-15-2010

I'm sorry if my Skill build wasn't very clear, but I am not saying max Q then E, I usually level them side by side. As for AoZ, yes the cooldown reduction is a nice bonus but even at last level it is still 10 sec, so even with 4 levels into it you can only use it, at most, twice in a team battle. I take exhaust so I find that 1 stun + 1 slow is more then enough and spend the rest of my time unloading damage. SS is used as more of a killshot the later into the game you get, but early game it is a much better option than auto attack. This is why I level it early, because leveling it when it is no longer as useful doesn't make alot of sense to me. SS is also the reason panth dominates early laning so neglecting it is not a good idea imo.

Fully maxing SS first is a bad idea though. This is because its mana cost goes up per level and panths small mana pool cannot sustain it early, so i level HSS up with it.

AegisReflector

05-15-2010

Quote:
Sentient 6:
I'm sorry if my Skill build wasn't very clear, but I am not saying max Q then E, I usually level them side by side. As for AoZ, yes the cooldown reduction is a nice bonus but even at last level it is still 10 sec, so even with 4 levels into it you can only use it, at most, twice in a team battle. I take exhaust so I find that 1 stun + 1 slow is more then enough and spend the rest of my time unloading damage. SS is used as more of a killshot the later into the game you get, but early game it is a much better option than auto attack. This is why I level it early, because leveling it when it is no longer as useful doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Also maxing SS first is a bad idea because its mana cost goes up per level and panths small mana pool cannot sustain it early, so i level HSS up with it.

A lot of the time when i play pantheon and go up for a gank, i'll run up and stun and then I might pop an exhaust, but they will cleanse out of one or the other, sometimes they have a slow so i am forced to use both, in which case they cleanse both. That's why i'm much more partial to maxing aegis first for it to have enough downtime to be able to leap on to someone who is just out of range, by the time it's on CD already, so is heartseeker, leading to eventual death.

CD reduction items on panth are actually pretty good, but I will say that his damage will highly suffer on him. If I want to play tanky, i'll get Soul Shroud, then brutalizer and then either frozenheart or youmuus, then whatever I missed. That makes his leap stun a good 6 or 5 seconds and his ult a good 75~ seconds. I can push lanes regardless of where I am on this, since I can ult to any creep line while my team is pushing and wreck everything, and I can also tank towers and such with youmuus extra attack speed.

One thing i will say about everything is that a lot of people who are successful with pantheon seem to solo mid. It seems like that's where he belongs since he is one of the best gankers, but you will never ever see someone give you mid, which sucks.

Sentient 6

05-15-2010

I usually make sure to take note of which summoner spells each hero has, and that effects who i pick as a target, so i do not normally have problems with cleanse since i do not target those heroes. Also in terms of ganking, even with Aegis on a 10 sec cooldown, it is very rare that you will get to use it twice before they either get to their tower, get support or die. In a team battle 10 sec is enough time, but ganks are over and done with pretty soon after the intiate.

I have tried going brutalizer first and then upgrading to YGB. I found it much less effective then going right for LW and Starks. Dunno if it has to do with my playstyle but it did not do wonders for me. I rely on my CDR glyphs for my cooldown needs.

As for tank Panth, i don't do it. Not because it can't work, but because i specifically choose my heroes based on their varying roles. I have 4 mains that i choose depending on the makeup of my team. I choose Shen when my team lacks a tank, Panth when we need a carry, Shaco for assasin, Anivia for mage/support. Therefore hybrid builds don't really do much for me. I have the 9/21/0 option in as an alternative, but honestly never use it.

Yes Pantheon is a fantastic mid solo, but yes many people are skeptical. The fantastic thing about Panth is that he is good in any lane. So if your team refuses to believe you can solo mid, then don't go mid, pick another lane and dominate there.

Also (in regards to the earlier comment) if your enemy has figured out your strategy for ganking and has started to tighten up their formations, then don't try to gank them. Push with your team, and when they come to defend unleash hell with your cone dps channel, stun and slow a target focus them with your team. Also never forget your ulti can swing a team fight in your favor very easily. With the faster landing time, and your team attacking/disabling your foes, there is no way every enemy will escape the blast radius. Doing heavy aoe damage, slowing and forcing the enemy team to scatter is a great way to contribute to team fights. Past that just be your basic carry, pick a squishy target and unload on them with support from your team.

UnreadyCrab

05-16-2010

Shouldn't be using exhaust with pantheon, it's a waste. Take cleanse instead, getting a frozen mallet is great way to increase his suriviability and gives him a chase down tool that doesn't require 3 minutes to cooldown.

Cleanse is a much better option, you already have ghost to give you a mobility advantage, which is far superior on Pantheon than flash, Cleanse is so useful it makes my balls ache.

If they try to CC your chase, cleanse. If they try to gank you, cleanse. If they try to ignite and exhaust you for a solo kill, cleanse, ghost turn around and put a spear shaped hole through their face. It has one of the shortest cooldowns of any of the summoner spells.

For the love of holy mary mother of baby jesus, use cleanse.

Warwick's ulti -> cleanse.

Mordekaiser's Ulti -> cleanse.

Morgana's root, Aoe DoT, Ulti combo -> cleanse.

Taunt's -> Cleanse.

It's just sooooooooooo goooooooooooood.