Dodge formula

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reconhell

Senior Member

05-26-2010

I heard that there are diminishing returns meaning:

Lets say ur jax

U get all dodge runes, dodge boots, dodge skill passive, and phantom dancer.

I heard that u wont get the cumulitive bonus of all added.

Could someone give me the real amount of dodge versus the so called cumulitive dodge?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SyeBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-26-2010

Dodge is a recursive formula.

Any given item, you add a percentage of the item to your dodge which is equal to your total dodge.

That didn't make any sense. Examples are easier.

You add it in parts. Start with the largest portion: 12% for example. It adds 12% dodge.
Next, if you add a 10% dodge, it is reduced by 100-12=88%. So you only get 8.8% dodge instead of the full ten. This gives you a total of 20.8 dodge. If you were to add 8% dodge (say runes) then you only get 100-20.8=80.2% of that 8% dodge, and so forth.

Basically, it's severe dimishing returns. I'm not sure what qualifies as a "source" whether it takes all of dodge runes and masteries as a single source, or if dodge runes is a source, masteries is a source.

Either way, there you have it. Some one more skilled than I may be able to put it in plainer english.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reconhell

Senior Member

05-26-2010

Thanks for the reply, but im not strong with maths...

Could someone calculate for me what dodge u would have if:

Masterie dodge full, Full dodge page, boots dodge, jax lv 5 skill dodge, phanton dancer.

Hope someone can give me the info!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StoRmRAiL

Senior Member

05-26-2010

could u give the dodge % for each one first?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamyDays

Senior Member

05-26-2010

Sorry, the "obvious" multiplicative stacking formulas doesn't apply AFAIK.
They at Riot devised some ingenious formula to make dodge linear with EHP.

The in-game character status shows dodge as a pure number, without %.
It means that they have not used the "obvious" formulas but processed them in some way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconhell View Post
Thanks for the reply, but im not strong with maths...

Could someone calculate for me what dodge u would have if:

Masterie dodge full, Full dodge page, boots dodge, jax lv 5 skill dodge, phanton dancer.

Hope someone can give me the info!
2% from masteries
20% from Phantom Dancer
18% from E skill
12% from Tabi
6.8% from runes

Added up it's about 59%, but the actual value from diminishing returns is around 47% chance to dodge.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kirbz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

05-26-2010

Okay folks, I was just tinkering with the dodge formula in Excel. I main Sivir, and her passive gives her 10/15/20/25% dodge chance while moving (not standing still, unfortunately).

Let's say you have full dodge seals and quints, giving you +11.3% dodge chance. You decked out Nimbleness as well, adding an extra 2%. In game, you buy Ninja Tabi (12%) as well as Phantom Dancer (20%).

Dodge works accordingly:

Sivir's passive grants you 25% automatically (100*0.25). The next greatest increase to your chances of dodging, Phantom Dancer, takes the remaining 75% of the time you're NOT dodging, and converts 20% of that 75% to dodging (100%-25%)(0.2) = 15% dodge. So now you have 40% dodge chance.

Add in Ninja Tabi (60*0.12=7.2%), full dodge seals and quints (52.8*0.113=6.0%) and Nimbleness (45.9*0.02=0.94%), and your grand total dodge chance is 54.1% (I rounded many of the remaining totals for demonstrative purposes).

For fun, I figured out the max dodge Sivir can achieve with her passive, 6 Phantom Dancers, full dodge seals and quints as well as Nimbleness is 82.9%, plus a lot of move speed, attack speed and crit chance (not sure of the math on those ones).

As an aside, dodge quints are practically worthless, even for Sivir. Without any other dodge items, they only serve to increase her standing dodge chance by 4.5%, and her moving dodge chance by approx. 3%. At 2050 IP a pop, I'd put almost any other quintessence above dodge quints.

To answer the OP: Jax would indeed have 47% dodge. My maths tell me so.

TL;DR ppl: Don't chase Sivir or Jax with auto-attacks! Except Ashe, you facerolling sob.