How to play Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oniontasty

05-14-2010

I keep reading about how powerful people consider Jax to be, top tier etc etc However every time I play as him I get easily destroyed by my opponents. I can't even seem to survive going toe to toe against another melee opponent, which I thought was Jax's specialty. How do you avoid just getting pushed over in a few hits as Jax?

RHINO Mk II

05-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniontasty View Post
I keep reading about how powerful people consider Jax to be, top tier etc etc However every time I play as him I get easily destroyed by my opponents. I can't even seem to survive going toe to toe against another melee opponent, which I thought was Jax's specialty. How do you avoid just getting pushed over in a few hits as Jax?
-Jax has been nerfed several times since most people complained he was OP. He is still quite powerful, but generally does better late in the game as opposed to early. I will try to give you a mini-guide based on my limited experience with him.

Doran's shield + HP pot
Ninja Tabi boots
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Frozen mallet, infinity edge, bloodthirster, or black cleaver
Atma's Impaler

Start with leapstrike, then use this priority list:
Ultimate>Counterstrike>Leapstrike>Empower

Generally it's best to chill out until level 4 or so in your lane, last hitting as much as the regen from doran's will allow while maintaining a decent amount of health. Try to harass the enemy when there are creeps around, as their attacks will cause you to dodge and have the opportunity to stun. Once you get guinsoo's, you can kill pretty much any neutral creep camp (including dragon) and deal heavy damage to lone opponents. Your passive will give you a fair bit of health, but you will still go down easily if you overextend due to your melee range. Don't over-commit, but feel free to lay the smack down on any lone champion who stumbles across you in the jungle.

YoonieDaCutie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2010

You also really need a friend to run a support champ together with your Jax. This is usually Janna for the synergy between her shield and Jax's passive (Her shield gives damage block + extra damage for Jax, which makes his HP higher and 'heals' him)

It's also important to guzzle down elixirs as Jax, especially Elixirs of Fortitude (the red one), since that gives him both HP and damage.

Axl7507

06-29-2010

Jax is my main champ, and I've played over 300 games with him so I would consider myself pretty proficient in playing Jax. For the most part both of these responses are accurate. Especially the one about bringing support with you . I know my Jax record went from about -20 to +30 since I started playing premades and laning with a Taric/Soraka, since Jax is most susceptable to being killed early on. I especially love Taric because his stun/shard can assist you in getting some much needed kills early and get you fed.

When I first started playing, I used Dorans shield with a health pot as my first buy. I would go Dorans shield, ninja tabi, guinsoo, frozen mallet, bloodthirster, atmas in that order. Since then though I've revised my strategy a lot, skipping the Dorans shield and potion (since i mostly lane with support anyway). I still get ninja tabi and guinsoo every game (unless the other team has a lot of CC and I need merc treads). I've recently skipped frozen mallet and replaced it with phantom dancer which is amazing to have. I also like to get guardian angel since the other team LOOOOVES to target Jax. But until you get comfortable with Jax and see how your play style is, Rhino's build is best. You'll replace some items here and there though the more you play. Like I said, I've played like 330 games with Jax and only recently have been buying Phantom Dancer over frozen mallet. It's hard to give a specific build because a lot of what you need for items depends on what champions you're going against.

As far as laning strategy, I tend to hit empower then leap strike, then run away. This gets pretty boring for a while, but it'll keep your health up and slowly reduce theirs. Once you hit about 5 or 6, start walking in front of your minions to get attacked by the enemy minions (try to not get hit by the champs though). Once you dodge and your counterstrike comes up, empower+leap+counter then beat the **** out of them. Waiting for your counterstrike to proc is probably the #1 thing that brought me from a poor Jax player to a good Jax player.

The key to Jax is patience. Leaping and running is annoying to you but it also makes them scared of getting close and may make them go back to base giving you an exp/gold advantage in the lane. Once you rack up a few kills and higher levels and the team fights start coming, wait for your tank to engage, then jump in and start snacking q/w/e. Depending on your items, you're going to start seeing their entire team drop like flies. Make sure you target the lower health champs and the more dangerous ones first, leacing the tank for last.

Hope this helps

time time click

04-27-2011

dodge boots...
rage blade...
gun blade...
death cap...
IE...
youmuu's ...(Active on this thing is great for getting away and jumping from crowd to crowd while keeping your stacks...)

Burbinator

04-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by time time click View Post
dodge boots...
rage blade...
gun blade...
death cap...
IE...
youmuu's ...(Active on this thing is great for getting away and jumping from crowd to crowd while keeping your stacks...)
Glass cannon builds on melee dps is typically a terrible, terrible idea. Even tho jax's passive gives him hp, you still have almost no resistances.

Diggersby thoe

04-28-2011

Dodge Boots
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Trinity Force
Aegis of Legion
Hextech Gunblade
Atma's Impaler

Works for me!

NeatoTorpedo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-28-2011

20 offense 10 def masteries

9 red crit runes/9 yellow dodge runes/9 blue magic res runs with 3 dodge quints

I start with cloth armor and 3 health pots and 1 mana pot

last hit minions to rush Dodge Boots against shy but aggressive opponents (ones who won't initiate a fight but are overly determined to finish)

guinsoo --> gunblade --> the last three items are dependent on what you need to do against certain opponents but it's in my opinion that guinsoo and hextech gunblade are core to Jax.

If say you're playing against a tank heavy team, instead of dodge boots buy mercury treads and lich bane and abyssal scepter/ focus their carries and leave the tank for mop up.

If you're playing against guys like Trynd or Rammus who are great at melee, buy items that increase your crit chance. Crits hit faster than ability cool downs and get you more hp from life steal.

If your team is getting nuked in team fights in every which way get Frozen Heart, Lich Bane, and Abyssal Scepter.

Hope this helps!

LukeeSkywalk

04-28-2011

As jax you are mainly an anti-carry. As such, a good tip for early jax players: DO NOT INITIATE TEAM FIGHTS! I cannot stress this enough. You will get focused early and destroyed. Let your tank initiate, or someone else. You are the guy that chills in the bush, and then when **** starts flying, you leap in on top of that Ashe and begin destroying her face This helped me become a better Jax player when I first hear this. Hope it helps you

Burbinator

04-28-2011

Oh god, i just realized time time click necro'd an almost year old thread. Can we not do this kind of thing, guys? =(