(very long) Issues that Reds have answered about Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NecroticBinder

12-04-2011

Zenn, how do you report someone multiple times? I have NEVER seen 5 reports from the allied team or 6 times from the enemy team. THAT is a boldfaced lie what you just said.

ZennShade

12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Zenn, how do you report someone multiple times? I have NEVER seen 5 reports from the allied team or 6 times from the enemy team. THAT is a boldfaced lie what you just said.
It's fairly simple, just keep pressing the report button. I find quite often that you can report a singular person any number of times until after they've left the end game chat and sometimes you can even after that.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2011

Zileas on weighting based on the results of your previous reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It's complicated, but someone who is reporting people who are getting banned will actually be more trusted than someone who is rarely reporting people. The thing is, a lot of people report 1 or 2 people a game. These people are generally not trusted because, you know, their reports are bogus.
This makes it doubly hard for someone to get trolled, as they reduce the value of reports by people whose reports end in pardon and people who don't get reported very often require more reports to get to Tribunal.

NecroticBinder

12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZennShade View Post
It's fairly simple, just keep pressing the report button. I find quite often that you can report a singular person any number of times until after they've left the end game chat and sometimes you can even after that.
Once again. You can click the shiny button all you want, even downvote me with all the smurfs you want but it does not change the fact that it is NOT actually reporting them. As I have said, if this were true why am I NOT seeing cases with 5+ reports on the allied team eh?

Jedem Das Seine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2011

Question - since apparently there are no longer always warnings when a ban may be issued to a player, how does someone know when they're toeing the line, like, how severe their situation is?

Obviously if someone has a 5-day ban and they know the next will be permanent, that'll drastically decrease their bad behavior. But if they have a 3-day ban, how is someone supposed to know if they'll get a 5-day ban next, then a week, then maybe permanent? They say that cases do not reappear after a ban, that is, your slate is somewhat cleaned after a punishment, but how much of an offense does it take to reappear in the Tribunal? One game? Ten games? And how many reports?

Was just curious if anyone had some clarity on the matter.

Greenguy1687

12-07-2011

I just did a handful of Tribunal cases. For the most part they were pretty clear cut one way or the other (usually guilty, sadly). There was one case though where the person in question had 4 games reported in and it seemed like he was reported in 2 of them for just being bad and 2 of them for being kind of a jerk in chat. Now I voted Punish because I believe he should be for the two cases of verbal abuse, but I also think that there should be a section to put a short comment on the case. I'm not sure he really deserves super harsh punishment, the overall feeling i got from the stats and the chat was he was just kind of angry because he is not too good at the game. Just feel there should be a medium for us to add those kinds of thoughts. Maybe it's not possible.

Not sure if this post should go here or not, but seemed like a good spot to try.

NecroticBinder

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Ambassador View Post
We don’t believe that “competitive gaming” behavior is defined by petty insults and swear words. We expect players to act as and treat each other as they would out in a public space.

Professional athletes do not whine and call their team mates or the other team names when they lose; and excessive poor sportsmanship can result in penalties on the field, just like the Tribunal System does in League of Legends.

A system is already in place to deal with Trolls, it’s called the Tribunal. The amount of damage the Tribunal can do to a higher level ELO troll is significantly higher that your words will ever be able to do. Not only that, but past experience has shown that trolls feed off of the frustrations and lamentations of their victims. Trolls live for attention, cussing them out, or reacting to them is exactly why they do it.

The best way to deal with a troll is to 1) Ignore the Troll using our in game ignore command. 2) Report the Troll so that he will be removed and become unable to continue harassing other players.

Keep in mind Tskrian, that being reported and getting suspended are not the same thing at all. In order for your case to result in a suspension a majority of your peers would have to agree that it was deserved. As someone who reviews Tribunal cases daily, I can tell you that cases where a person is being unfairly reported are pretty obvious and is exactly why the Pardon button is used.

Also, we know some players may think they can abuse the reporting feature by using it whenever they don’t like someone. However, the system is designed to take into account players who repeatedly report others for nothing.

There is an important distinction. Calling someone stupid would be violating the Summoner’s Code. It’s rude and unproductive. You receive no benefit, and the person who’s playing poorly receives no benefit.

This does not mean you can’t call out your team mates actions. Calling someone’s move stupid is not against the Code because you are not attacking the player directly. All players make mistakes, and there’s no reason you can’t let them know (politely) that they made a bad call and should have done X action instead.

Actually, this is something we already do.

RoreBAWW
Riot Ambassador
Well, either Riot is blatantly lying... or they review every ban.

legitimatealex

Recruiter

12-10-2011

I just want to thank you for compiling these Riot responses. The idea of the Tribunal system really intrigues me because I've never seen it done on another game, but most of the responses I'm seeing in these forums seem like people who are raging about one thing or another and its kind of got me paranoid about getting unfairly punished or banned for no reason. I'm glad to see that this is not the case.

I can't wait to participate in the Tribunal, especially after a Fizz on my team told us he was giving up and AFKd for 30 minutes while my team fought to win. Oh well. It happens.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Well, either Riot is blatantly lying... or they review every ban.
..They do review every ban, haven't you read the Riot posts stating they do?

This whole stickied thread has almost every red post. They eventually want to allow only temporary suspensions to be automated, but right now they look over every case before deciding whether it deserves a ban, and then how long the ban needs to be.

Maximum Spooky

12-10-2011

Reading over the official 'moderator' responses, they're basically expecting us to writhe in a community full of vile behavior and expect none of it to rub off. They want us to act as automatons abiding by their set of strict coding without letting anything else influence us?

I honestly can't figure out why I've been banned because of all the terrible things I see WHILE playing the game. I watch everyone feed, troll, abuse one another and generally act as monkeys upon a stage flinging their feces at eachother, and then I sit here looking at my banned account in utter confusion.

What could I have done that's so horrible to be deemed worse than what the average League player is conditioned to on a daily basis?

I hate this system.