What is Mastery?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CookieMonsterPwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2010

I may be hasty in asking this question, but from what i infer it is similar to skill points that you can add at some point. My question is really, what is it, how is it used, how do you get it, and how does it affect your champions? I am an ex-dota player who's just starting LoL and i'm loving what i see, just a little confused when it comes to the whole summoner profile bit. I also searched the forums for keywords mastery but found too amny threads relating to mastery pages, which had yet to understand

Poruku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2010

Hi CookieMonsterPwn,

When you start the game, and log in, you can go to your summoner profile. You should probably click the attachment I put at the bottom of my post now. See figure 1, click that button. From there, click figure 2.

You are now at your mastery page. The way you build your masteries affects EVERY game you play. All the bonuses from the masteries, will be applied to your champion.

You start with one mastery point. Every time you level up, you get one more, up to level 30 (Max level) when you have 30 points. You get EXP from playing regular games and your out of game level will never reset. See figure 3, that is my summoner level, and it is the same as figure 4, my amount of mastery points.

Simply click, and then hit 'save focus' to save your masteries.

Thanks for posting,
Poruku

PS Sorry the image is so small, but you can make out the numbers, yes?

Vangu

05-14-2010

Poruku really said it all but in-case you are still wondering every mastery but a few make your champion better. At the moment there is only one mastery page so if you are changing the type of champion you play I suggest changing the mastery to go with it as people tend to forget that.

Do you already know about runes?

Munchlord

05-15-2010

you sound like all things summoner profile confuse you, so I'm gonna give a quick rune tutorial. If this is not needed, ignore this post.

Runes are, like masteries, bonuses gained from your summoner to your champion in game. Runes are bought for influence points in the store. Runes are divided into colors/types and teirs. Teir 1 runes are unlocked at all levels, while teir 2 runes are unlocked at level 10 and teir 3 runes are unlocked at level 20. Hence, most people don't buy runes untill level 20, to avoid wasting IP on weaker runes. In addition to this, you unlock new rune slots each time you level up.

Rune types are Marks (red), Seals (yellow), glyphs (blue) and quintessences (purple). Each type has some special traits and is particularly good at some things and bad at others. Generally, you'll want to have runes that confer a bonus in the strong area of that rune type.

Marks are good at offensive stats like critical strike chance, critical damage, armor penetration, magic penetration and attack damage. The one offensive stat that they are bad at (really bad) is AP.

Seals are good for regenerations (health and mana) and defensive stats like HP, armor and dodge. The one defensive stat that they are bad at is magic resistance.

Glyphs are good at all things spell-related. Cooldown reduction, AP, magic resistance and the like. The only spell related that they are not good at are magic penetration and mana regeneration.

Quints are good at everything, and have some utility types unavailable to all other rune types like movement speed, gold per 5 seconds and experience increase. Quints are also significantly stronger at the regular effects than other runes, but make up for this by being more expensive and that you have only 3 quint slots total at level 30.

CookieMonsterPwn

05-15-2010

Thank you very much for your helpful replies! It's really good to see the experienced players helping out the new guys... after all, the more the merrier. Mastery fully makes sense to me now... only thing that i'm wondering is how and where in game can you see an opponents mastery? Im a dota player after all, so im used to two champions of the same level being equal if they fought each other. where can i see my opponents mastery? and/or runes? I understand the run building stuff, but my question is how to buy them. I've only played praccy games up to this point so maybe that's not really showing me but is it the experience points you recieve from each game that get spent or some other form of currency? also, what else can you buy besides heros and runes with your currency?
thanks for the help everyone! This community is very, rookie-friendly

Gaeb

05-15-2010

Can't see opponents' masteries, can't see opponents' runes,
Can see opponent's champion & summoner spells.

Game win points:
Experience is just for levels (up to 30), each level = +1 mastery point && +1 rune slot
Influence is currency to buy champions & runes

$$$ cash monies --> Riot Points:
Can buy champions or skins or bundles with Riot points. Cannot buy Runes.

PS: I recommend normal games over practice games (I typically play 1 or 2 practice games vs bots just to get the hang of a new hero/item, but otherwise all normal games)... you get "first win of the day" for normal games bonus (for first win) that is ~ 2x what you normally get (so on SR, ~ 300 EXP / IP total for your first win every day)

Vangu

05-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterPwn View Post
also, what else can you buy besides heros and runes with your currency?
At the moment that is all you can buy I believe it has been said (or hinted at) that the next mastery page and maybe more rune pages will be bought with IP...but truthfully I can't recall if riot said that (though I am 89% sure they did) or it was something someone wanted.