What are the blue/red flames & swords on the new kill announcements?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wordcount

08-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Poise View Post
This, because it is simple and direct. Anyone can understand how it works, and you can glean all the useful information in a very quick glance. It also leaves the icon variable still available for other information to be added, if desired. Like:

I think you could show the source of the killing blow by using simple letter icons instead of the actual skill picture:

Q for their q skill
W for their w skill
E
R
P for passive
A for basic attack
I for item damage

That should look fine and not be too confusing.

Edit: I forgot towers and minions. Those would probably work as icons easily enough.
That would not be too confusing. Yet, it would look silly.

Champion--> R --> Enemy Champion.

Someone who didn't know the system would easily get thrown off, especially with the P, A, and I.

SilvrChaos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
Continuing from Lima's post.

When we realized the ability icons were confusing, we even tried to simplify by either showing whether it was an ability or attack which dealt the killing blow.

Ultimately, that's not the most important information to convey (pretty irrelevant actually), so we went with kill, streak, streak ended.
How much gold the kill was worth is some important info to have in the notification.

Amariithynar

08-21-2011

Quote:
Continuing from Lima's post.

When we realized the ability icons were confusing, we even tried to simplify by either showing whether it was an ability or attack which dealt the killing blow.

Ultimately, that's not the most important information to convey (pretty irrelevant actually), so we went with kill, streak, streak ended.
You call it pretty irrelevant... I call it stuff I want to know. If I'm playing Annie, and my autoattack gets the kill off a Tibbers/Incinerate/Disintegrate/Autoattack combo, that tells me that I got off my full combo but I'm still lacking damage/penetration if it's my autoattack that got the kill and not an earlier spell. Fireball flaring up in a Dragon Punch-esque shape as an ability kill, sword for autoattack kill. It's pretty simple and visually differentiating at the same time.

Bullbear

08-31-2011

Quote:
Streak indicators seem just as unnecessary as ability/autoattack. We already have 2 ways streaks are announced (announcer, and popup in chat). Unless you're planning on getting rid of one of those, the information is redundant and less convenient, since the symbols used are almost completely arbitrary on where in the streak they are.

EddyEduardo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Streak indicators seem just as unnecessary as ability/autoattack. We already have 2 ways streaks are announced (announcer, and popup in chat). Unless you're planning on getting rid of one of those, the information is redundant and less convenient, since the symbols used are almost completely arbitrary on where in the streak they are.
I like the symbols showing the streaks. Keeping it colourful and visually appealing for noobs like me

Bel Irkalli

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
we tried this first. It just didn't work very well, people found it extremely confusing. Many of the icons just didnt look good on that size or with that color around them. And just ended up looking like a jumble of random icons and colors.
Oh god not Lima Beans ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu